It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• HELP my pain doc says, taper off morphine!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User
    Unhappy HELP my pain doc says, taper off morphine!!!!

My pain Doc says he wants me to taper off The MS Contin! I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I've had RSD for 4 years. I currently take MSContin 60mgs twice a day, Lortab 10 for breakthrough, Neurontin 600mgs,twice a day, Zanaflex 4mgs, three times a day, Remeron 30 mgs at night, Naproxen. I can't imagine living with this and without the morphine! He says, "just live with it" when I asked what people do???? He does this from time to time and out of the blue too! We discussed tapering once and he agreed to do it slowly and then he cuts it way down when I least expect it We were doing 3 a day and he said he would keep it like that and just increase the time between visits. I was going every month, then every 5 weeks and then 6. The last time he cut it to 7 weeks and gave me only 60 pills when he WAS giving me 90 pills. I'm scared to death and was wondering if ANYONE has ANY advice. How can I taper without very many withdrawels. How can I taper with a time release? HAS ANYONE ELSE experienced this and if so what did you do????? HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
    mixtinn
    Veteran
    (female)

mixtinn HB User
    Re: HELP my pain doc says, taper off morphine!!!!

I have never had a dr take off meds but I did it myself.. It is scary.. The fear for me was Iam going to be in pain.. What is your fear. That you will go though withdrawl or you will be in pain without the meds.??
    Right now all Iam taking is neurontin and tylenol with cod.. and I also go for lidocaine infushions.. The reason for these infushions is so I don't have to take all the narco..
    The reason why I took myself off was I was tired of being tried. I started noticing I wanted the meds even though I wasn't in pain.. I feel so much better mentally and physcially.. I still get the everyday RSD pain.. My energy level is much better since I haven't been taking them.. My mind is not in a fog all the time.. Just be careful.. Morphine is a schedule 1 drug.. It is addicting.. I wish you luck..
    Michelle 1

Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User

I'm in fear of both the withdrawals and the pain. How did you take yourself off? I can't see how you can taper off a time release? I mean every time you take it, you are back up to the same mg?? The pain scares the heck out of me. My RSD started in my left leg and has since spread to both legs and both arms and my back. Life without some kind of pain relief is really scary. Please let me know how you did it????

Kim

Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
    LindseyGirl1992
    (female)

LindseyGirl1992 HB User

Hello.
    I was on several different pain medications and most of them didn't work except for one. The one that did work worked for about a month or two and after that, it stopped working. I finally found a doctor who does laser treatments and that is what I'm doing now. I've been going since April of 2006and everytime, he helps me. I just came out of remission after 5 months and I'm going back to him right now. I have full confidence that he can help alot of people with RSD.
    ~lindsey~~

Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User
    Question Re: HELP my pain doc says, taper off morphine!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LindseyGirl1992 View Post
    Hello.
    I was on several different pain medications and most of them didn't work except for one. The one that did work worked for about a month or two and after that, it stopped working. I finally found a doctor who does laser treatments and that is what I'm doing now. I've been going since April of 2006and everytime, he helps me. I just came out of remission after 5 months and I'm going back to him right now. I have full confidence that he can help alot of people with RSD.
    ~lindsey~~
    Hi Lindsey girl, What are laser treatments? How do they do them? What kind of Doc does them?

Kim

Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
    LindseyGirl1992
    (female)

LindseyGirl1992 HB User

Hi Kim
    The docter I go to, he has a laser clinic and he specializes in pain control, low level laser therapy, and all sorts of different stuff. He uses different lasers for different conditions. I've been going to him for over a year and a half now and he has helped me immensely. He's made the pain go away for up to 5 months. Its harder for me to stay in remission because I'm very active and athletic. I
    ~Lindsey~~

Last edited by moderator2; 09-11-2007 at 06:27 AM. Reason: offering to violate the posting policy

Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
    judiev331
    (female)

judiev331 HB User

Hi Kim,

I hate to sound like I'm a doctor hater.....cause I'm not. But I do have a big mouth and it runs away with me If your doc wants to taper you he should discuss the how & what to expect, tapering can be relatively uncomplicated when it's done right . Not done right and you can have major physical problems.

Can you call and get a appointment anytime? Personally, I'd want to discuss with him how to space the meds , what I could expect and what to do if I really felt sick or the pain increased alot. Remember this is just my personal opinion.

I've been very blessed with the doctors in my life from early diagnosis to preasent. I go in with my list of questions & keep them on track till I'm through. My favorite question when they reccomend something is why? why? why? Then I go online & check it out with the experts........all of the angels here & other websites that so generously share their stories, opinions & the info they've researched.

Have a less painful night,

Judie

Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
    mixtinn
    Veteran
    (female)

mixtinn HB User

I would just skip taking some of the meds.. But I don't think I would do that in your case.. Your taking alot of medication. I think you should be closely monitored. Your going to need your BP taken etc..
    What type of treatments have you had besides taking all these meds?
    Michelle 1

Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #9
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User

Thank you so much, I didn't realize he had cut the meds down to 60 tablets until I left the office!!! I called and he said to try it and see how I do, so I'm hoping that means if I don't do well, and I expect I won't, the I can call. He didn't even tell me he was cutting them down so much. He just said I can't keep giving you all these meds and set my next appointment for 7 weeks. Which was ok as that was what we had discussed, then when I got to the pharmacy, I noticed the cut!!!!!! He doesn't discuss anything with me and I'm thinking about finding another doc, but they take so long to get into. He does this from time to time, and with no warning. The last time he said this, it was like he forgot what he told me the next time and kept the visits the same time in between and the same amount. Then BAM, he pulls this out of his hat!!! It's very concerning as well as upsetting to have him pull this stuff. It's hard enough to deal with the disease. Having a doc that doesn't care enough to explain things, well, thats another story. As I said in my original post, we had discussed it before and we agreed to do it slowly and just increase the time between visits. The he just pulls this out of his bag of tricks without warning! He said to increase the time between doses, but I still don't know how you can with a time release medication, I mean how can you taper when the next time you take it, you are back up to the same mg???? It doesn't make sense. I plan on calling him soon and insisting I come back earlier. I WILL pin him down with a plan of some sort, a specific plan and will NOT leave his office until he explains it fully. Thanks, you have givin me the courage to do that

Kim

Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #10
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

hey mimba,

We live in wierd times here in KY.. I'm not accusing you of anything here. Im just asking.. If I annoy you please just dont respond. I am only trying to help you.

My Rx'ing doc bluntly told me at the last visit why doc's get funny with some people on narcotics and some dont. Theres a whole host of reasons.. one could be the state and or DEA is investigating your doc or some recent event with one of his/her's patients did something not to bright with their meds.. Diversion,abuse ect.. Docs will get paranoid about writing a bunch of narc rx's for fear of being made an example of by law enforcement...

Have you been completely honest with your Doc about your history of recieving rx's for narc's? In KY they run what is called a KASPER report on you wich shows what, where, when, and who has given you rx's in the tri-state area. If you have gotten anything of narcotic value it shows on this report for the last 3 years. What they are looking for is "Doctor shopping" and Diversion of meds. basically multiple doctors giving you pain meds...

My rx'ing doc said besides all of that, another aspect is they look closely at the patient. She has been monitoring me and my condition for a year without me knowing it hardcore... early refills, constantly asking to up my dose, self grooming ect... basically all the tell-tale signs of abuse.. After being with her for over a year and seeing everything unfold she offered to write because I never did anything that showed a red flag.

These are some of the main reasons doctors get funny about narcotics. Again, im not in anyway accusing you of anything.. I of all people know stuff happens. I think you need to just plainly ask why and maybe he/she will just plainly tell you... Maybe you can switch to something different?.. I wish you the best of luck and please remember KY has a HUGE rx diversion problem.. If you read about it you will see what I mean.. Again, Good luck and I wish you the best.

Jon

Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User

Lumbar sympathetic blocks and stellete ganglion for my arms. It is in both legs and both arms. I think I caught in time the arms and right leg, but the left leg is the "bear" and I've had 18 lumbar sympathetic blocks for that, and that is it. I have them about every three months, and sometimes they work well and other times, not. This last one didn't work well at all and he picked now to try to taper!!! I still don't see how I can with a time release. Every time I take it, I'm back up to 60 mgs!!! It just doesn't make sense to me?????

Kim

Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodom1979 View Post
    hey mimba,

We live in wierd times here in KY.. I'm not accusing you of anything here. Im just asking.. If I annoy you please just dont respond. I am only trying to help you.

My Rx'ing doc bluntly told me at the last visit why doc's get funny with some people on narcotics and some dont. Theres a whole host of reasons.. one could be the state and or DEA is investigating your doc or some recent event with one of his/her's patients did something not to bright with their meds.. Diversion,abuse ect.. Docs will get paranoid about writing a bunch of narc rx's for fear of being made an example of by law enforcement...

Have you been completely honest with your Doc about your history of recieving rx's for narc's? In KY they run what is called a KASPER report on you wich shows what, where, when, and who has given you rx's in the tri-state area. If you have gotten anything of narcotic value it shows on this report for the last 3 years. What they are looking for is "Doctor shopping" and Diversion of meds. basically multiple doctors giving you pain meds...

My rx'ing doc said besides all of that, another aspect is they look closely at the patient. She has been monitoring me and my condition for a year without me knowing it hardcore... early refills, constantly asking to up my dose, self grooming ect... basically all the tell-tale signs of abuse.. After being with her for over a year and seeing everything unfold she offered to write because I never did anything that showed a red flag.

These are some of the main reasons doctors get funny about narcotics. Again, im not in anyway accusing you of anything.. I of all people know stuff happens. I think you need to just plainly ask why and maybe he/she will just plainly tell you... Maybe you can switch to something different?.. I wish you the best of luck and please remember KY has a HUGE rx diversion problem.. If you read about it you will see what I mean.. Again, Good luck and I wish you the best.

Jon
    Jon,

I don't take offense to what you said and I appreciate your response. I do know about kasper as my nephew is a pharmacist. I have not showed any of these signs except before I got diagnosed properly(which was 4years ago) I was sent to several doc's by my orthopedic doc, neurologist, etc to try to find out why my sprained ankle was still painful. It wasn't until I went back to my regular MD that finally I was diagnose right. In the mean time I would have to go to the er when the pain got so bad and those doc's I previously mention didn't know what in the heck was wrong. My regular MD sent me to my pain doc that I'm talking about now. And he knows all about those previous referrals to the neuro's, so I don't think that is it. I've never tried to get anything early or any of the signs they look for because I know that would result in not getting treated.
    I will ask him directly why specifically next time I see him. I plan to pin him down. All he said was he was"Getting too many patients" when we talked about it before. I'm all for cutting down and have. I was on 100 mg, Kadian and now on 60mg MSContin and cut down from 3 a day to 2.
    What did you mean by switching to something different? Do you think if I ask to give me the next mg down, he would do it? I think that would be better and slowly cut down that way as it makes no sense to me to cut down with a time release as the next time I take it I'm back up to 60 mgs!!! Would a shorter acting morphine be better to taper with?
    Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated

Kim

Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey kim,

You completely answered my question with your the statement "Getting too many patients". You doctor is getting scared he is about to possibly get into some legal scruitny.

If you want to get off of the MScontin, you need to first switch to a short acting drug so you can wean yourself down. Theres a whole host of options there on what drugs to take. I think here in KY Oxycontin,MScontin catch alot of heat due to their abuse rates.. Thank your local drug addicts and dealers for this. There are more drug names here too but those were just the 2 that popped out of my head.

I dont think it is very professional for your doc to drop you off of a long acting drug without weaning you down. But remember comming off this stuff is a choice YOU have to make or its just not going to work. Im in no way calling you an addict! You have my respect!!

I would though do what you are doing.. Demand to see him and get a senseible plan worked out. Oral clonidine at .1 or .2 mgs helps with withdraws from what I have read.. that is an option to help you out. I guess to keep this post from turning into a novel you need to switch to a short acting version of morphine or equivelant and taper down. Dont go in angry as I can feel it through your posts.. but just be firm and make sure a game plan is set and your not getting dumped.. meanwhile it might not hurt to research for a new PM doc and see whats up there too. I hope I helped ya out a little here as I understand your grief. Goodluck and keep posting!

Jon

Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodom1979 View Post
    Hey kim,

You completely answered my question with your the statement "Getting too many patients". You doctor is getting scared he is about to possibly get into some legal scruitny.

If you want to get off of the MScontin, you need to first switch to a short acting drug so you can wean yourself down. Theres a whole host of options there on what drugs to take. I think here in KY Oxycontin,MScontin catch alot of heat due to their abuse rates.. Thank your local drug addicts and dealers for this. There are more drug names here too but those were just the 2 that popped out of my head.

I dont think it is very professional for your doc to drop you off of a long acting drug without weaning you down. But remember comming off this stuff is a choice YOU have to make or its just not going to work. Im in no way calling you an addict! You have my respect!!

I would though do what you are doing.. Demand to see him and get a senseible plan worked out. Oral clonidine at .1 or .2 mgs helps with withdraws from what I have read.. that is an option to help you out. I guess to keep this post from turning into a novel you need to switch to a short acting version of morphine or equivelant and taper down. Dont go in angry as I can feel it through your posts.. but just be firm and make sure a game plan is set and your not getting dumped.. meanwhile it might not hurt to research for a new PM doc and see whats up there too. I hope I helped ya out a little here as I understand your grief. Goodluck and keep posting!

Jon
    THANKS thats what I mean, how can you taper off a time release?? It's crazy. You have been extremely helpful. I plan to call him today or tomorrow for an earlier appointment. I was wondering if what he was doing was the "norm", but was very doubtful it was. It's like he has these mood swings or something. He has done this before and then by the next appointment he forgot about the last one and gives me the same amount. He is not from here(USA) and I think there is a serious communication problem. Once he said he would continue the sympathetic blocks, but not the medicine. Then the next few times he never mention the medicine and prescribed the same amount I do plan on cornering him for some kind of plan and have it in writing or something so he can't forget. Do you happen to know if it is normal to go off opiods for RSD? I don't know how people do it if it's true. I can't imagine the pain without it. That REALLY SCARES ME!!!!!!!!! I have had this for 4 years now and really want to know if other people have gone off opiods after some time and if so what do the take, so any info on this too would be extremely helpful

Thanks again and please reply if you have any knowledge about what I've asked

Kim

Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey kim,

Dont mean to hog your thread but im just really bored today... sorry!

Opiates and RSD in general are a really mixed emotion thing. You will see among the RSD community alot of people with ALOT of different med combo's and opinions. I think alot of my med choices have come from the community and what I feel is right for my body. Only you know whats right for your body.

Im 28 yrs of age and have had RSD for 11 months. Im now awaiting approval on the what is commonly known as the Morphine pump... Except It will not be filled with morphine. Theres a new drug out called "Prialt" and it was approved last january by the FDA so im going to basically be a lab-rat for this stuff. I found it on the internet and shared the info with my pain doc and she inturn called the drug rep in to talk to her about it and loves the idea and now wants to let me have a crack at it. To be continued on that!

My opinion on opiates is they are safe given to the right person. They dont kill my pain they make me not care about it. (better than nothing!) I guess im a little old school with them and still believe in them. As long as they help and not hurt than there reallly isnt a problem. Take care

Jon

Closed Thread