It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Spinal Cord Stimulator Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #16
    slimsdizz
    (male)

slimsdizz HB User
    Smile Re: Spinal Cord Stimulator Questions

I know I am new here but I thought I would post my experience with these I'm 26 and have degenerative disk disease at L5 level after a discketomy they could no longer find any problems and refused to operate on me again despite the fact that ym pain was getting worse and pain meds were not helping me seems like pain meds just don't work on me well at all I dunno if anyone else has this issue. so they did the trial period and within three days my nerve pain seemed to be under control they did the implant I am a year out now so it is still early in my opinion and I wil keep you guys posted. I had given up all hope of a normal life. I have seen a realistic improvement it's cut my pain in half and I had tons f scar tissue from teh previous surgery I think that was my problem I went from 100mg of kadian a day and 3 percocets to one percocet as needed and I am now working 30 hours a week which is a huge improvement. I will say this though to people I collect plasma globes if you don't know what they are you put your hand on hem and electricitey shoots out everywhere inside the globe mine were made along time ago professional ones very large very expensive so I wasn't to apt to getting rid of them. I say this strongley do not touch one of these toys while haveing an implant they told me it would be ok becaus eof the frequency they operate at but I fried my leed and I got a pretty big jolt in my back I got lucky. they fixed it and I got to keep my toy snow I can only look at them and not touch them. I know alot of people would be like get rid of them but they have always fascinated me I've found as long as I don't touch them I am fine but if I touch that glass globe it would spell disaster again and I might get hurt thats what they told me. Anyway good luck to everyone I ran out of all hope I hit rock bottom and at least now I can function and can think and talk clearley again so I give alot of credit to medtronics right now but that could change if I have problems after being in constant pain since 1999 with no relief this year has been like a permanent vacation I can deal with the pain again and I am looking forward to getting married this spring an dI no longer feel like a failure I hope one day I can get out of telecomunications and get back into my career working on automobiles. I guess time will tell I'll update every few months to let people know how I am doing with this system and for some reason alot of people have them in NC and I haven't heard of to many problems most of the people at my surgeons office who have them get a 50-80 percent relief I know one person who feels no pain anymore I just hope when they have to change the battery it isn't to painful we'll see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
    imadeamistaka
    (male)

imadeamistaka HB User
    Re: Spinal Cord Stimulator Questions

Thanks for your post and welcome!
    Your post gives me some hope if and when I get my SCS.

Jeff

Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #18
    warpman
    (male)

warpman HB User

I got a spinal cord stimulator implanted in 1986 for full-body central pain syndrome secondary to C-5 spinal cord injury. It didn't help. Dr. North revised the stimulator position three times before finally removing it.

In the 20 years since, nothing has helped relieve the central pain, which keeps getting worse with time.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Alan,
    Have you tried ketamine? I tried everything and have 2 scs which I am not commenting about because I am done with them, but ketamine helped when nothing else has. I just started 2 weeks ago and today I took steps. I have been standing and taking steps here and there but this is the most I walked. I really think I might have a chance at walking and being semi-happy/back to normal. I do not think the pain is going to be something that will be 100% gone, but just from doing the 3rd ketamine treatment (this one at home in recliner orally) I have noticed a huge change.
    Just a thought, something you might want to try.
    Good Luck and welcome...Nikki

Old 09-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
    slimsdizz
    (male)

slimsdizz HB User

I think the spinal stimulators from medtronic are makeing leaps and bounds now especially after that battery suit with their heart pacemakers just my thoughts on it but I think either spinal stimualtions works for some and doesn't work for others. but in my opinion if you can get a 40 or 50 percent decrease in pain it's better than haveing to go to a pain management clinic and better than haveing to dump pills into your body. I cannot begin to tell people the depression I was haveing and the slurred speach and I was takeing my meds the way I was supposed too. I also gained tons of weight. When you get to a point where surgery is not a good option I think the neurostimulator is a good option to try before giving up hope if it doesn't work my heart goes out to you because I have been there for so long another thing that helped me some over the years believe it or not after spending tons of money on orthotics was finncomfort shoes with a soft insole man are those things ugly but they did help I saw about a ten percent pain reduction which wasn't much but it justified buying them and was better than orthotics. with all the promising treatments on the horizon I am hopeing by the time I have to have my battery changed they have a gene therapy solution this migh just be wishful thinking but medtronic is giving me hope again and thats something I lost after being hit by a drunk driver. Thats really all I can say about the medtronic device. by the way the doctor wanted to put it up closer to the brain in my opion thats a bad idea. I thought to myself worst case scenario it malfunctions and I am paralyzed waste down if it was close to the brain I thought to myself neck down or death just my opinion but I would make sure you know where that surgeon is putting the leed and make a decision. For me to take this step it was very drastic so far I am glad I did I hop e I never have anymore problems and regret doing it for the first time in my life I shook a surgeons hand in thanks. Something ese that I was wary of a good friend of mine Derrick went down to LSI in florida despite my reservations and he is doing remarkabley well. I'll get him to come online sometime and do a post about his story of being shot twice in the line of duty I was very suprised at his surgeies outcome after haveing two fusions. I'm sure as with anything there are people like myself that neurostimulators work on and people they don't work on but I did find what I thought was an inexpensive way to try it out my dentist happened to have one of these type devices for filling cavities it sticks to the outside of the mouth electrodes and that worked well for me so that is kinda what made me decide to do the test I figured if it would work on my mouth it would work on my back. Proabley me being niave but it did so I dunno. thanks for listening If I can offer any further info just ask keep me in your prayers as I lost my best friend recentley he drowned thats why I most likley will be on and off for awhile. my prayers go out to you all.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #21
    slimsdizz
    (male)

slimsdizz HB User

just an update still doing well pain has come back some but the stim is stil working life sems to be improveing. I'll keep you guys posted on a month to month basis I had all my procedures taped once I get some time I can hopefulley post a link to the vids I am doing a weekley video log.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #22
    erikkaberry
    (female)

erikkaberry HB User

So I have my Trial in and love it. I wan't sent to the rehab hospital which I was very happy about. I have seen an improvment in my pain and can strech my hand open more and can even get it all the way open!! I go back to the Dr. tomorrow to get the stitches removed. Not sure if i'm going to get the stimulator removed also b/c my Dr. mentioned he might also want to do an extended trial since I'm young. But things are looking up . I even scrapbooked today and I haven't done that in a couple months b/c of the pain. JNot all the pains gone but its more manageable.

Erikka

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #23
    ld3340
    (male)

ld3340 HB User

Great for you Erika!
    Mines been in 10 days and I am amazed! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop! I never thought they would get the L5S1 nerve pinch and the RSD! I'd say I feel 90%!! with meds. I just hope it lasts, I was looking through the help wanted adds today!
    Laurin

Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #24
    erikkaberry
    (female)

erikkaberry HB User

Laurin,

I'm so happy for you!

My pain is down about 40% to 50% its amazing. I love it. I'm hoping the pain stays down like this too. I'm still taking all my meds including my pain meds.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #25
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

Hi all,

I just had my trial yesterday. I love it. I can't begin to explain how happy I am. My back hurt like heck, but i had my daughter put my shoes/socks on and we went outside and walked around. Not only that, but I was stepping on acorns and crushing them. It was so much fun. I'm going to have it removed Mon morning, and my doc is already working on getting insurance approval for the perm. Also is going to put me on the surgery schedule. I'm going to recommend that (ANS...had them not medtronic), ans add another lead to put in the back to keep it from hurting as much from surgery lol. That is the only drawback to the system. Still can't lay on my back yet. maybe over the weekend. I'm sorry that I waiting even a few months to get this done. I know some people have problems with the scs, but there is no way to know how it is going to work for you until you have it done.

Mary

Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #26
    erikkaberry
    (female)

erikkaberry HB User

Mary,

I sleep with a pillow under my back, It seem to keep the pressure off of it esspecially the first couple days. It has even helped me from rolling over. I am having an extended trial - 3-4 weeks to make sure it works (since I'm young). I will most likely get the peremenet b/c when I turn it off all of the pain comes back.

Hope Everyone is doing well!

Erikka

Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #27
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Hey Everyone,
    You are all right and I am so happy for you all!!! I remember the 1st 24 hrs. my swelling went from a +5(I think that is the number they used the highest amount of swelling possible) well, within 24hrs. it took the swelling down and it was a MIRACLE. I was on cloud 10. I hope I am amongst the small few where spread occurs because I shut mine off (contimplated having it removed) and the pain came up so much so they do work...I NEVER meant to burst your bubbles when I told my story, but I did not know, do you guys want to know? I pray to god these results you get from the trial are the same with the stim. and that you have the best of luck. I can hear the excitement and happiness in your voices and that is great. Please keep me posted and help to change my mind on the spread. I wish you all the best!!!
    Nikki

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #28
    jennifer3063
    (female)

jennifer3063 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaxobean View Post
    Alan,
    Have you tried ketamine? I tried everything and have 2 scs which I am not commenting about because I am done with them, but ketamine helped when nothing else has. I just started 2 weeks ago and today I took steps. I have been standing and taking steps here and there but this is the most I walked. I really think I might have a chance at walking and being semi-happy/back to normal. I do not think the pain is going to be something that will be 100% gone, but just from doing the 3rd ketamine treatment (this one at home in recliner orally) I have noticed a huge change.
    Just a thought, something you might want to try.
    Good Luck and welcome...Nikki

Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #29
    jennifer3063
    (female)

jennifer3063 HB User

what is Ketamine?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #30
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

Hi all,

I had my trial out Mon. I WANT MY MACHINE BACK. It is now Friday, and the pain is back even worse. Actually, someone mentioned that as I had about 100% pain reduction, that when the pain came back, it came back as it was, not slowly like in the beginning. Sounds right to me.

I just found out that I'll have the perm implanted on Nov 20th. My doc had said that he likes to wait 3-4 wks after the trial to put in the perm. He made it 4 wks. and 1 day. I can't wait. I want the pain to go away again. When I had the trial, I put on shoes and socks and went to a Home and Garden show, and walked for over 3 hrs. I haven't had socks/shoes, on both feet in over 4 years. I loved it. I'm just sorry I waited so long to try it. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but you never know till you try.

hugs
    Mary

Closed Thread