It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• question about sympathetic blocks?? and scs's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User
    Lightbulb question about sympathetic blocks?? and scs's

Hi
    Has anyone experienced with the blocks, that some help more than others do? With me, it seems if I wait too long in between them, I don't have as good as a result and they don't last as long. Also I'm curious as to how many blocks other people has received?
    The second part of my question is, for those of you that have or are getting a SCS, what all did you try before they suggested that? I've had 18 blocks so far and have had RSD for almost 4 years and my doc wants me to get off the pain meds. I was wondering if I should suggest to him the SCS? I'm interviewing a new PM next Friday for a second opinion.
    I guess what I'm asking is, what all did you all try as far as treatments goes? I have done, blocks, magnetic therapy, tens unit and of course PT. I'm wondering what I should push for next? I have been pretty stable on the dose of meds and the cocktail of different meds, so I don't know why he is wanting this. I go back on Tuesday and I'm pinning him down as to why, why, why, but thought I would see if any of you that have done other stuff, could give me your opinion and suggestions and thoughts on the matter.
    I get blocks about every 3 months and meds right now, and it's been making my life at least tolerable. I have RSD in both legs and both arms and back and now in my left hip I think. I only get blocks in the worse side(the left leg) My other sides are not as bad after he treated them as soon as I felt symptoms there. I'm telling him about my hip on Tuesday.
    Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User
    Re: question about sympathetic blocks?? and scs's

Kin,

Good luck with the new PM. I'm having my first block this Mon. this will be for the right foot and leg. I haven't had any blocks up to this point. I've had rsd for about 3-4 years. I'm having my trial scs placed on the 17th of this month. I've been on all the pain meds, cymbalta, neurontin, ketamine cream,and pt. I've decided to go ahead with the scs. I don't want to be on drugs all the time. I would like to have my brain back. i've gone thru the psych exam that is needed before the implant. I know that it should work for me. I don't expect 100% pain free. but about 50% decrease. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited about it. I would suggest it to the doc.

Mary

Old 10-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
    mimba46
    (female)

mimba46 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostmary View Post
    Kin,

Good luck with the new PM. I'm having my first block this Mon. this will be for the right foot and leg. I haven't had any blocks up to this point. I've had rsd for about 3-4 years. I'm having my trial scs placed on the 17th of this month. I've been on all the pain meds, cymbalta, neurontin, ketamine cream,and pt. I've decided to go ahead with the scs. I don't want to be on drugs all the time. I would like to have my brain back. i've gone thru the psych exam that is needed before the implant. I know that it should work for me. I don't expect 100% pain free. but about 50% decrease. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited about it. I would suggest it to the doc.

Mary
    WOW, Mary, you have had it for 3-4 years and no blocks? The reason I'm surprised is that usually the standard treatment as well as being diagnostic and to try to stop it in the first stages and everything. I also couldn't imagine the pain without the blocks? Was that your choice to wait? When mine wears off I'm in tears and can't get out of bed! Good luck on the 17th and on Monday. They REALLY help me most of the time, some work better than others, like I said, if I wait too long in between. If I get them right at 3 months, they work real good, but this last time it was more like 4 months and it didn't work as well.
    I will talk to him about the SCS. He talked about it once the first year I was with him, but I don't remember everything he said except he doesn't put them in. We have to do something.
    Thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it.

I wish you luck and will be sending good thoughts your way!!Kim

Old 10-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
    ld3340
    (male)

ld3340 HB User

Hi Kim,
    I have blocks done every week for about 6 to 8 weeks, then I'll take a month off. I am so tired of this circle of meds and blocks! Well, tomorrow I am getting my first SCS!! The trial worked about 50%, I am desperately hoping to get back to work and go down on pills, the 29th of Sept. has been 3 years off work. I pleaded for the pump, but they want to save it as a last resort. Wish me luck!!!! LD

Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

I didn't get the blocks because I had so many issues with my left foot that we had to clear up before anything else could be handled. I ended up in the hospital for 11 days and had the flesh removed from both the top and the bottom of the foot. then they put sponges in the foot and attached a vacpac machine that sucked at my foot 24/7. It took care of all the infections and all, but until it cleared up I couldn't do anything else. As I've had it in the left foot so long, my PM said blocks will not work. I'm getting the one in the right to see if it works, and to make in insurance co. happy.

id3340
    How did the trial go? what kind are you getting? please keep us posted and anything you can think of to tell us, please do....I'm getting an ans unit.

good luck
    Mary

Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
    ld3340
    (male)

ld3340 HB User

Hi Mary, ouch! Surgery was this morning. It only took 3 hrs and I was on my way home! About 2 hours after I got home the medicine wore off and wow! I'm at a 9! I have to get some Norco. I'm ok with ice too on the incision. My legs are buzzing a little and they dont hurt too much, just my back. I'll write more in the morning k! Laurin

Old 10-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
    lostmary
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lostmary HB User

I hope the meds work and you are feeling better in the morning. Just take care of yourself and do what the doc ordered. I'll be here, so when you feel up to it,let me know.

Mary

Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
    ld3340
    (male)

ld3340 HB User

Hey again!
    Well, it's been a day and a half and the pain is easing a bit. They put the stim above the right butt cheek- below my belt. It's an out of the way spot I guess! Kinna feels like I've been hit a week straight with a paddle! The good news? My legs are buzzing, and so is my lower back. The stim is 4 channel-I have low back left and right, and the whole leg , right and left. I realise that there may be some medicine helping the pain yet, but I feel nothing in my legs!! Even my foot doesn't hurt. Had to change my bandages this morning, my 14 year old son helped, he just pulled off the tape off on my back and put a new one on. It didn't look to bad, but it didn't feel great. I just kept to myself so I didn't scare him!

Laurin

Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #9
    SuperPsyc
    (female)

SuperPsyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ld3340 View Post
    Hey again!
    Well, it's been a day and a half and the pain is easing a bit. They put the stim above the right butt cheek- below my belt. It's an out of the way spot I guess! Kinna feels like I've been hit a week straight with a paddle! The good news? My legs are buzzing, and so is my lower back. The stim is 4 channel-I have low back left and right, and the whole leg , right and left. I realise that there may be some medicine helping the pain yet, but I feel nothing in my legs!! Even my foot doesn't hurt. Had to change my bandages this morning, my 14 year old son helped, he just pulled off the tape off on my back and put a new one on. It didn't look to bad, but it didn't feel great. I just kept to myself so I didn't scare him!

Laurin
    Sounds like we're both in the same boat! I had mine put in on Sept 14th. My back is still sore, but the area where the transmitter was put in is very tender. I think it's still tender because of my RSD...apparently the RSD can make surgical sites more tender/painful than for non-RSDers. Anyhow, I have to have mine redone on Nov 2nd to get better coverage and to move the transmitter closer to the skin...but the feeling in the areas receiving coverage is quite nice. My transmitter has places for 24 programs and I have 6 to choose from so far...despite my complications, it's been kinda fun playing around with the different vibration patterns!! Anyhow, good luck with the rest of your recovery and I'm glad things are going well for you so far!!!!!

Closed Thread