It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Question? Transforaminal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
    MammaT
    (female)

MammaT HB User
    Question? Transforaminal?

Hello everybody, I have had three lumbar blocks, last week a caudle(sp) that did nothing actually it did, instead of my bones and muscles hurting I can know feel all of the tendons and ligaments. So, anyway, PM Dr. is going for a transforminal epidural. Has anyone had this injection with their regiman? Thanks, Kay-Lyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
    Gaollan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User
    Re: Question? Transforaminal?

Epidural glucocorticoid injections are commonly given to patients with leg and/or back pain to relieve such pain and improve mobility without surgery.

These steroid injections buy time to allow healing to occur and/or as an attempt to avoid surgery after other conservative (non-surgical) treatment approaches have failed. It's given just like a regular lumbar injection from what I'm reading.

Spinal Conditions Treated and Outcomes
    Indications include large disc herniations, foraminal stenosis, and lateral disc herniations. Patients with disc herniations and leg pain in most of the studies attained maximal improvement in 6 weeks. Interestingly, long-term success rates for transforaminal epidural glucocorticoid injections ranged from 71% to 84%.

Is More than One Injection Necessary?
    As a rule, patients who obtained little relief from the first injection got little benefit from a second or third injection. Those patients with degenerative lumbar canal stenosis and patients who failed previous therapies may significantly improve standing and walking tolerance following transforaminal lumbar steroid injections. However, only about 15% to 61% of interventional pain management physicians perform transforaminal epidural injections. Interestingly, almost every single interventional pain management physician uses the conventional, interlaminar epidural injection.

So this is what I found on these injections. I hope that it helps you out.

Hugs,

Karen

Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
    MammaT
    (female)

MammaT HB User

Thank you Karen. That is basically the information I had found, although those indications do not list rsd and as far as I know I don't have those types of problems. I was just wondering if anyone else has had these injections in regards to RSD.
    Again Thanks,
    Kay-Lyn

Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
    MammaT
    (female)

MammaT HB User

Well had "a" procedure done today, was not the transforaminal or anything I had heard of. It's in the caudle (sp) and my whole butt was numb from above my waist to the top of my thighs. Even at that, ouch!! I heard and felt all kinds of snapping and popping. The PM Doc said she was going through cartilage and such, OUCH!! again. She showed me the floroscope pics and now says the RSD may be from a leaking disc in my back. The fluid is filling in the nerve space and causing some RSD. Now the big question, How did a slip at work and dx with RSD months ago turn in to a leaking disc with RSD!!?? My butt is finally feeling sort of normal but omg the soreness and sparks. Gee I have to be in Lake City in the am for a 3-4 hour orientation with WC for job rehab. Can't wait. Thank for Listening yall, Kay-Lyn

Closed Thread