It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Question regarding Intrathecal Pain Pump

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
    dtsdolphin
    (female)

dtsdolphin HB User
    Question Question regarding Intrathecal Pain Pump

Hello everyone~

I am new to this group, but was diagnosed with RSD 6 years ago.

Approximately 4 1/2 years ago I had the Intrathecal Pain Pump implanted and it has helped, however I recently had a terrible experience during a refill. Somehow the doctor managed to inject approximately 10 days worth of concentrated medication directly into me instead of the pump. It caused a severe overdose.

I am just wondering if anyone else out there has had any difficulty or complications with their pump. Any information or sharing of experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

dts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
    RoseinSanDiego
    (female)

RoseinSanDiego HB User
    Smile Re: Question regarding Intrathecal Pain Pump

Hello dtsdolphin,
    Welcome! Hoping you find answers to your question here. I was diagnosed with RSD in October and I have found this board very helpful in dealing with this disease. There are nice and caring and understanding folks here
    I don't have a pump. I have questions for you since you've had it for years. Are you working? I'm doing my best to try and continue working 3 hours each day and so far, I'm able to, although I'm hurting pretty bad. It's in my left foot, and I also have neuropathy in both my legs. Okay, so I have more questions for you if that's ok -- When did you get the pump, and where is your RSD? You mentioned that it helps you alot -- Are you on other medications too? I'm on 600 of Lyrica, and 120 of Cymbalta and occasional Vicodin for now. I see my doctor every 3 weeks.
    Well, your recent experience with your pump sounds VERY awful and very scary. Hope you're feeling better.
    Gotta run for now, you take care,
    Rose

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi and welcome to the board. I've had RSD for 22 years and a morphine/bupivacaine pump for 7 years. I've never had a problem with mine as you described. How scary! What happened after they did this. You must have been sick. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sharon

Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
    dtsdolphin
    (female)

dtsdolphin HB User
    Re: Question regarding Intrathecal Pain Pump

Hi Rose,

Thanks for your response. I am not working. I haven't been able to work on any type of consistant basis. I do, however, volunteer on the days I feel up to it.

I have RSD in both of my legs, my lower back and my right shoulder and arm. It began in my right calf/foot/ankle and spread. After about 2 1/2 years I opted for the pump because I was always so out of it from all of the oral drugs. The pump was implanted in December of 2003. I take Dilaudid for the breakthrough pain, along with Atarax to stop the itching. In addition I use Lunesta to help me sleep.

Good luck...it's a long hard road.

Dawn

Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
    dtsdolphin
    (female)

dtsdolphin HB User

Hi Sharon,

They scarey part of this thing is that when I told the doctor to stop because something was wrong and he admitted that 2cc's didn't make it into the pump (but were in me) he ignored the situtation completely. I ended up in the hospital, in Cardiac Intensive Care and relying on Dopemine to maintain my heart. My blood pressure was crazy low and my heart rate went down to 6...yes I did say 6 beats per minute.

The fact that an error occurred isn't what scares me, it's that he completely blew it off and acted like there was no way this could have happened. Had my friends not taken me to the hospital I would be dead right now. He never even showed up at the hospital when their physicians called him (and he is affiliated with the hospital I was in).

I've been doing research to see if maybe I need to have the pump replaced sooner rather than later...not sure yet.

May I ask what area you're in? I'm in Las Vegas.

Dawn

Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Dawn,

That would really bother me too...the fact that the doc didn't take responsibility. Mistakes happen. Just own up to them, you know?

I live in New York...Long Island.

Sharon

Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
    gazellewoman
    (female)

gazellewoman HB User

I am looking for any information regarding why doctors might be discontinuing the use of the medtronic pain pump. My doctor told me recently that doctors no think it is very effective and are no longer taking patients who have the pump. He is a major pain doctor in a big city. I would like to know what other patients have been told. As of january 2008, there is a warning on the "newer pump" concerning increasing risk of granulomas over time. Does anyone have more information on any reasons why doctors are discontinuing the use of them. thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi,

I've had my pump for 7 years and haven't heard anything about docs discontinuing the use of them. I have heard about the risk of granulomas, but all I know is that I have very little risk. I forgot why now, but one reason is that I use a small amount of meds per day. I think a person's risk might increase with taking a larger doseage.

Sharon

Closed Thread