It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Really bad Charlie Horse cramps

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
    RoseinSanDiego
    (female)

RoseinSanDiego HB User
    Question Really bad Charlie Horse cramps

Hello everyone!
    Holy moly, I've had some very painful, nasty nighttime cramps in my legs. The next day it's pretty sore also. Do any of you experience the same? Is this common with RSD? I know how very different RSD is for all of us, but does anyone know if they become more frequent? I haven't written on the boards lately cuz I thought I was doing pretty good. I return to my 3 hours per day job on the 19th -- It's at Middle School beginning this year after spending 9 years at elementary.
    I would be really grateful if anyone can write me back -- Thanks much.
    Take good care, and hugs to all of you,
    Michelle, have you decided which treatment you're going to do? I've been thinking about you and I hope you're doing ok.
    Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
    Michelle94
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Michelle94 HB User
    Re: Really bad Charlie Horse cramps

Hey Deb,
    I get those leg cramps also. Yes it is from the RSD but it can also be from a lack of vitamin.. I can't remember what vitamin it is.. I am sure if you search it on the internet it will tell you.. Theres nothing I can do for them when I get them except massage the muscle it just take cramps away quicker.. Just another added to the RSD list..
    I am so happy to hear you going back to work.. I think its good for you.. I actually thinking of going back.. Just a few hrs a week.. Theres a day care right around the corner who hiring part time 3 hrs a day.. The problem is I'll lose my heath benefits cause I have state insurance. Also, If get this treatment then I can't work..
    I am still thinking about it.. Its so scary.. I think I am actually putting it in the back of my head.. I have a while.. If I was to get it.. The waiting list in to February.. So I have a while..
    I'll let you know what I do.. I hope everything goes well for you at work.. I think its great to keep moving and push through the pain sometimes.. Sitting around just makes our minds go crazy.. Then we start feeling sorry for ourselves..
    We got a place down the NJ beaches.. Nothing big.. Just a place to go on the weekends.. It makes such a difference for me mentally.. getting out.. I don't do a whole lot when I am there. but Iam looking at four different walls lol...
    The cold weather is coming soon.. That fears me too.. I usually am a lot worse at that time.. So always say to myself.. If I get a job.. what IF??
    I hate that I always do the what if?
    Well, let me know how work goes... Sounds like you been doing ok for now...
    Michelle

Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
    chicubs
    (female)

chicubs HB User

Hi Deb,
    I too get those darn Charlie horses. I don't think it is a lack of any vitamins that can cause Charlie horses but a lack of potassium that does this. Bananas are great way to get more potassium in you.
    But I think it is from the RSD, at least for me because I do eat a lot of bananas to start with. Actually I didn't know that RSD could cause Charlie horses. But it makes sense because during the day I get muscle spasms that can cause my toes or even my whole foot to jump. It's rather funny to watch when it is my toes because it looks so strange seeing my toes move without me being the one moving them.
    I don't know what to do about the Charlie horses. Sometimes they can make me jump right out of bed. The only thing that works for me is rubbing the muscle and time.
    It sounds like you are happy to be going back to work. I have not worked now is two and half years. I miss my job a lot. But I know that I can no longer physical or mentally do it, plus if I do go back to work any work then I would loose some benefits. I too was employed by the state for 22 years.
    Good luck working. Like Michelle said that it is important to try and do something so that we don't go crazy and start feeling too sorry for ourselves. I volunteer at Hospice Hope so that gets me out of the house now and then. She is also right saying that just sitting at home too much starts to make us feel too sorry for ourselves. And that won't do us any good or change anything will it? Take Care Deb and let me know if you come up with a different way of taking care of those Charlie Horses!!!
    May your day be healthy and happy ,
    Chris

Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
    hdladyred
    (female)

hdladyred HB User

Just to add to the Potassium need... we get that kind of charlie horse cramp any time our potassium/magnesium/calcium levesls our out of whack... you might want to look into a multi-vitamin/mineral combination... that should knock those cramps into net year if not later ! Best of luck to you starting back to school.
    Lissa

Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

I get the charlie horses too in my entire leg. It's horrible. I'm also wondering if I will be able to work with this. My dr thinks I have RDS and I am having a bone scan in a couple of weeks. All I know is, this is some of the worst pain I've dealt with in my entire life. I want a diagnosis, but I really hope it's not RDS. Does it ever get better????

Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
    Michelle94
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Michelle94 HB User

Sunshine,
    Again, I can only speak for me.. Um.. I wouldn't say it will ever be cured.. but the pain level changes.. For the first fewyrs, I was a mess.. I was not dx until four yrs after my injury.. It wasn't until then after I started being treated with the proper coctail of meds and treatments that things seemed to calm down.. Your still in the dxing stage..
    Its now been almost 7 yrs.. I still have pain.. It has spread.. but its different pain.. I've learned what I can and cannot do through the yrs.. That helps alot.. Not knowing if you even have RSD stresses you out.. I remember all of this clearly.. I thought I was losing my mind.. I am sure I did.. lol lol...
    I still hate what I have.. I wish I didn't have it.. It has changed my life forever. but I learned to deal with it and accept what I have.. Big thing that has always helped me out.. I say this all the time to RSDers... Look at this way.. At least we are not dying.. There is always someone out there worse off then us.. If you try to look at it that way... it does get you through to the next day...
    Keep in touch.. We are all here for you...
    Michelle

Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Thank you Michelle - I do feel like I'm losing my mind. I keep thinking that tomorrow I will wake up, put my feet on the ground and the pain will be gone. This is a nightmare at the worst possible time of my life - and I am alone. I have no help. There are times that I can get my head to a place where I realize that there are others out there who are far worse off than me, but today is not one of those days. I do not feel like *myself.* And I feel bad for my dogs, who I haven't been able to walk for 6 weeks now. They get to go to the yard for potty, but that's it. I normally walk them every night. I think about re homing them, but I love them so much and I keep telling myself that this is temporary, but I don't know how temporary?

Today I'm having a really hard time dealing with this.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Thank you for your support, I really need it right now. It means a lot!!!!

Closed Thread