It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Locked Joints, Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
    LilBit318
    (female)

LilBit318 HB User
    Question Locked Joints, Please Help

Hello All,

I was recently diagnosed with RSD after a fracture to my right humerus. The main reason I was diagnosed so quickly is because after I was taken out of my sling, my fingers were immoble & I am unable to make a fist or straighten my fingers. My elbow is also locked & I'm unable to straighten my arm or bend my arm up to touch my shoulder. Also, my shoulder is frozen & I can only raise my arm slightly. I cannot raise it above my head & whatnot. Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone here had frozen/locked joints before & how were you able to get them moving? I am in physical therapy. I've been going for a few weeks now but we've only been able to make very very little progress with it. When you had this problem, what combination helped you get better ... Physical Therapy, medication, nerve blocks, etc.? I am scheduled for a nerve block next week & right now I'm on a muscle relaxant which isn't doing anything at all for it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Lil Bit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: Locked Joints, Please Help

Hi Lil Bit, my arm is permenantly frozen in the position where my hand touch my shoulders. I can't stretch it out except to put my shirt on and I also cannot lift either arm over my head. If I try doing anything that requires lifting my arms over my head, it brings on severe muscle spasms in my neck. My arm has been like this for almost 5 yrs now. I have tried everything even Botox shots and it didn't help. Hopefully if you can keep do the PT and it doesn't hurt then keep it up. When mine first started freezing up, everytime I would try to stretch it out, pain would just run down my arm. I also had alot of pain in my elbow. You could maybe try to Botox shots since it's just starting to freeze up and they might help. Other than that I don't what else to tell you because nothing has never worked for me.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
    LilBit318
    (female)

LilBit318 HB User

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that rayefaye. I know I'm already tired of them being like this so you must be really tired of it. I'm gonna try everything I can think of. Someone told me they used some nerve support pills that helped some. I've also been looking at joint support pills. If that nerve block doesn't help, I will be trying everything & anything I can think of.

Lil Bit

Old 10-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
    lovetoscrapbook
    (female)

lovetoscrapbook HB User

Hello LilBit, After a crush to 3 of my fingers back in July of this year I now suffer from rsd. I to am unable to make a fist, & I also can not straighten my fingers. I have watched them go from being straight & flat to tight and curved. I went to a regular pt, when I was making no progress I was sent to a hand therapist. He has been awesome. He is the one that diagonsed my rsd. I have been going to him since the first part of this month. He made me a brace to wear at night, that is very slowly straightening my fingers, he also has me doing different exercises than I was doing before. He & my hand surgeon have agreed that I need to have the block done--- I have some mixed feelings on that, I really would like my hand back the way it was before. I'm just scared to have it done. I went from typing 125 words per min. to 5 words in a minute, and I am unable to play the piano as of right now. I wish you lots of luck and if you don't mind I would like to know how the block went.

Last edited by lovetoscrapbook; 10-25-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi LilBit, it was very fustrating in the begining but I have learn to live with it being this way. I was also very angry because all the doctors waited until there was no hope of every regaining use of my arm. It took me sometime to gets the doctors to realize something was really wrong. I have seen since learn to live with limitations and get alot of doing the things I can no longer do for myself. I'm not totally helpless because I can still do alot of things for myself the main thing I can't do is any heavy lifting with my right arm. So try everything possible you can to keep from your arm from being permenantly frozen.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi libit. i was just wondering how long you were actually in that sling and how much movement did you have right after surgery and during the healing phase to now? besides what you described here as your main symptoms,just what other RSD symptoms were you displaying that made the doc assume RSD? i am just wondering becasue there are sooo many other reasons that your arm could have locked up on you like this.you just need to be certain that this IS indeed actual RSD and not post op problems caused by no early PT which would also lock you up in some pretty bad ways considering the immobility you have with wearing the sling ya know what i mean?espescially within that shoulder joint which can create a capsule of scar tissue over even just months of non use. the same thing can happen at the elbow joint too. i am just wondering if your surgeon did things the way they should have been done for you,thats all.

the earlier you can get at least the joints moving after any surgery is usually the best way to go. right after,the very next day actually,my rotator cuff repair,thay actually tried do have me do just some simple joint movement excercises. this despite just having two completley torn tendons just sewed back the day before. i thought they were insane since the pain alone(with even slight movement) casued me to puke. but they started this the very next morning post op. joints just do not take well to being immobile for too long,it does have consequences.

just knowing for how long you were immobile with this injury,and i mean no movenmet or excercises at all would really help(it just does not take that long at all to end up in that locked up posistion at the joint level). you just need to make certain this actually IS RSD ya know? sorry for what you are having to deal with lil bit. Marcia

when did YOU first notice that this "lock up" was present or starting,and were you going thru ANY actual post op PT or even doing some (usually)recommended excercises at the time?

Closed Thread