It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Lidocaine and Ketamine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #61
    alwaysinpain1
    (female)

alwaysinpain1 HB User
    Re: Lidocaine and Ketamine

hi i have rsd to sometimes u need someone just to talk to r u the same im 40 years old rsd has taken over my life for 6 years now but i get alot of support from family

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #62
    IL_guy
    (male)

IL_guy HB User

Arlington Heights? I'm in Plainfield. What Dr's do you use?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #63
    IL_guy
    (male)

IL_guy HB User

The same here, 43. I guess it would be nice to talk to someone with it. The crazy thing here is I dated "someone" on this thread for a little bit when I was a kid. When I found out she had it, I thought how cool it would be to talk to someone from the same background, who knew me before this thing and who could relate as to how this thing changes your life.

I guess I have been a pain in the butt to the admins, I apologize to you all. I am not a flake, hopefully I can be around long enough for them to see that.
    Ok, gonna try for a bit of sleep. What the heck, nothin better to do.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #64
    luvlifeagain
    (female)

luvlifeagain HB User

Hi again. I have an appt for March with Dr. S. My Rsd has spread from arm to feet my pm dr. readjusted my meds(he feels if you don't control the pain the brain continues to send overflowing signals that can find different pathways and that is how RSD spreads) which i wasnt happy about but i have to trust someone. i did scs trial and got sensation in whole body-now my husband thinks that is great b/c if i get an implant it will also cover my feet. He wants me to do scs to prevent spreading. Although i havent read anyone that has a SCS and loves it longer than 6months. I want to wait for Dr. S appt to know all of my options. However, i keep thinking- ketamine isn't it street name LSD? Why would i put large doses of that in me? And it sounds like everyone gets boosters and continues on some meds. The woman that had ketamine coma and is now pain free-how long will that last? What will this do to my brain in 10 years? But then i think maybe it will work. I am so torn and yet feel so pressured to do something. I am sorry to sound so negative but this is my reality. Donna

Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #65
    cardshark
    (female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB Usercardshark HB User
    Wink Re: Lidocaine and Ketamine

Donna
    I understand your frustration and point of view! I have only been battling the RSD for about one and a half years but I have had numerous chronic medical problems since I was four including 4 cancers and epilepsy. The RSD started in my left knee. I had severe swelling which I couldn't get under control with any normal method and I called my GP and he told me to go to the ER. My knee was about 6 times the size it should have been, I was in extreme pain, I had palpable nodules all around my knee, it was warm to the touch, and extremly sensitve to touch. I was put on crutches which helped me keep from reagrivating it and had an MRI and was sent to a pain mgt. doc. I tried neurontin for 3 weeks and gained 30 lbs. a week, tried lyrica for 2 weeks and gained 5 lbs. a week. I have been on and off Percocet and have had basically no luck with relief. I have used a TENS unit which to begin with helped but I had a allergic reaction to the suposedly hypoallergenic electrodes. My first pain doc. recomended the SCS and I was going to do it because I was desperate to try to control the pain. I am 26 and had to move back home with my parents about a year ago because of the RSD and if something isn't done soon I will have to give in and use a wheel chair but I'm stuborn and not admitting I need one until I absolutely have no choice. I found out my insurance would not pay for his office to do the SCS proceedure and was referred to a different doc. He said absolutly not to the SCS. At my age there is absolutely no way he would even think about considering the SCS until I had tried Ketamine infusions. The SCS requires numerous surgeries to replace batteries (about every 7 years), the leads migrate easily, and surgery of any kind can actually make RSD worse. The RSD has now spread to my full body. At this point the more research I have done on the SCS and the more people I have talked to I'm so glad the doctor wouldn't do it. Even though my pain is about a 50 on a scale of 1-10 and in my entire body I can't imagine how much worse I would be and more stressed had I done the SCS. Not to mention my biggest concern with it was you can't have any MRI's with a SCS in no matter if it is on or not and with my history of cancer that probably isn't the best idea. I have an appt. with the doctor to discuss further details about the ketamine infusions and which method he recomends for me (inpatinet/outpatient) at this point I am in so much pain I am willing to try anything. I don't think there is anywhere things can go but up from here.
    Everyone hang in there and have a great day!
    cardshark

Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #66
    luvlifeagain
    (female)

luvlifeagain HB User

Cardshark, thanks for your reply-now don't feel so alone.sorry to hear about ur RSD. Donna

Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: please do not leave huge quotes in your messages

Closed Thread