It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Embarrassing Question, I can't believe I'm asking this...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
    US miss
    Inactive
    (female)

US miss HB User
    Question Embarrassing Question, I can't believe I'm asking this...

OK, I'm sorry to go here but I want input and don't want to become dependent on laxatives. As you know, most of our meds cause constipation or diarrhea and I would love some of the second. I would like to state that I am not constipated, I drink a LOT of water and go almost every day, but it is hard and hurts. I want a stool softener and everything I find has a laxative attached to it. I've heard that chronic laxative use can make you dependent on them and I so don't want that. I have enough drugs as it is.

Does anyone else have this problem and what do you suggest?
    (sorry to go there but I just needed to know if anyone else is suffering with this and what they do)

alice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User
    Re: Embarrassing Question, I can't believe I'm asking this...

There are stool softeners available that do not contain any laxatives. Ask your pharmacist to help you find one. I can assure you that they are quite used to that question, so don't be embarressed!
    C4-5 ACDF 2006
    C3-6 ACDF 2013
    Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

Alice,

Don't be embarrassed. Lots of people have all sorts of problems when on long term meds like people with rsd. I know what you mean about being able to go everyday but it being hard to and uncomfortable. I have heard that your body can become dependent with laxitives and stool softeners. You can try natural things that will give you the same result without the bad. On top of drinking a lot of water you should be eating more fruit and things packed with fiber. You can get fiber from certain veggies like broccoli,spinach,etc. You can also use bananas,yogurt,peaches and grapes as natural ways to kick up your movements. If you already eat a lot of fresh fruit you may want to go with more fiber instead. Personally I do both. Choose different crackers,snack packs and splenda packets even have fiber in them now too. You can also look for noodles that have extra fiber in them too. If you eat a banana with some high fiber bread or crackers and make sure that inleast one snack a day is fruit you should start to notice a change in the way your BMs are.Depending on how bad it is it may take a week or more to actually start seeing the results that you want.Always consult your doctor or the doctor who prescribes your meds. Don't forget that some fruit as in grapefruit can react with certain medications. I hope I've been some help. Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask a question. That's why we are all here right? Support and answers,no matter how tough.
    Deanne

Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
    Kelly0514
    (female)

Kelly0514 HB User

Hi Alice,

Don't be embarrassed, I think all of us on this board have experienced this at one time or another... daily pain meds will do that to you! I agree with the responder below. I also found a stool softener that did not contain laxatives. I even believe mine was a generic Walgreens / CVS brand. Def ask the pharmacist for help. I also agree with the fiber suggestion; I do both on a regular basis and have not had any other problems. I hope this helps!

Kelly

Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
    ALASKA MIKE
    (male)

ALASKA MIKE HB User

have you tried activia yogurt? it helps me with my severe constipation due to meds. studies say you need 16 ounces a day. the yogurts come in 4 ounce containers. i take 2 a day in the morning.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALASKA MIKE View Post
    have you tried activia yogurt? it helps me with my severe constipation due to meds. studies say you need 16 ounces a day. the yogurts come in 4 ounce containers. i take 2 a day in the morning.

Alaska mike,

I've seen the commercials for activia but does it really work like they say? I don't have to many problems since I eat things with a ton of fiber but I'm always looking for more ways of making my self healthy. It's also quite expensive,is it really worth the money?
    Deanne

Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
    virgil0201
    (female)

virgil0201 HB User
    Wink Re: Embarrassing Question, I can't believe I'm asking this...

Hi all, i'm new here but not new to RSD. i have 2 suggestions for you. Both have proven effective. The first is Colase, generic name is Docusate Sodium (walmart version is fine) its over the counter, this is a stool softner. The other is dried apricots. They both work very well. Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
    Missie23
    (female)

Missie23 HB User

Hello,
    I know what you mean. My Dr. said to take 1200 mgs of fish oil. They come in gel caps and go down easy. I have a limited diet because of allergys.
    I don't eat red meat any more, just chicken and fish. Eating out is so hard, some places will prepare the food plain, but not many. I eat 2 bowls of spoon size shreaded wheat every morning the plain ones, will milk and that all the fiber I need.
    I hope this will help, Missie23

Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
    ALASKA MIKE
    (male)

ALASKA MIKE HB User

i think its worth it. i used to be lucky to have one or two bm's a month and now i have 2 to 4 a week along with a change of diet because crps gave me ibd, crohns, ulcertive colitis, acid reflux, gallbladder stones, gout, a few dozen ulcers including bleeding ulcers. all this was dx in a 3 month period last year. after getting the gallbladder out and getting off several pills and quiting beef(turkey burger is ok for some reason) i feel better, but eating out sucks cuz there is almost nothing to eat that will not cause so much pain.

i use to take colase, stool softners, a lot of lactulose, magnesium, omega3's etc each day/night. no longer though........

good luck

mike

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmony85 View Post
    Alaska mike,

I've seen the commercials for activia but does it really work like they say? I don't have to many problems since I eat things with a ton of fiber but I'm always looking for more ways of making my self healthy. It's also quite expensive,is it really worth the money?
    Deanne

Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
    inpain2
    Inactive
    (male)

inpain2 HB User

hi mike ,my dr. set me up with a great toilet cocktail,every day.--2or3 gen.sennokot-s pills,plus a drink of miralax powder(no taste at all).walla! ---1or2 at least a day.no pain at all.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
    09JD
    (male)

09JD HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by US miss View Post
    OK, I'm sorry to go here but I want input and don't want to become dependent on laxatives. As you know, most of our meds cause constipation
    alice
    New here - trying to read thru everything and came upon this post from months ago. Don't be embarrassed - we all have to "go". After my first surgery, I had no idea that severe constipation would be a side effect. The after-surgery pain was bad; but, laying on the floor in the bathroom with the pain of constipation was worse!

J.D.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
    FlaReta
    Inactive
    (female)

FlaReta HB User

This might be an embarrassing topic to you but why let yourself suffer. You can get stool softeners at the drug store. Remember when you were pregnant and they gave you iron supplements? They always gave you a stool softeners. Be sure to tell your doctor about this problem, he may be able to give you some more suggestions.

I drink lots of water daily. I try to eat 1-2 apples daily. I am having gallbladder problems so I have oatmeal each morning (more fiber). I also try to add fiber (benefiber) to my morning tea. I also take 1000mg of Magnesium daily divided through out the day. I find the magnesium helps keep the stools soft and help with my calcium absorption.

This works for my husband, a hot drink (coffee or tea) and walking. You could just walk around your house. Regular exercise, like walking on a treadmill, will help keep you regular too. (I am an upper extremetrity not a lower, so I am a walker to keep my sanity.)

Reta

Closed Thread