It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• daughter had nerve block today - questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
    ddd15
    (female)

ddd15 HB User
    daughter had nerve block today - questions

My 13 yr old daughter had her first nerve block today. So far she hasn't noticed a difference. Does this mean she won't? I thought it would be instantly noticeable if they were going to work at all. The dr said he likes to do one every two weeks for a couple of months. He also said, "by then, all this usually clears up" Somehow, I don't think it is that easy! She is unable to walk at this point and I don't know how much longer she can take this without some kind of hope. We were really counting on seeing some relief today. I am really thinking hard about trying to get in to one of the childrens clinics out of state for treatment.

Because it seems like it didn't work today should we avoid having another block?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User
    Re: daughter had nerve block today - questions

Blocks can be tricky. In some people it can take a couple of days to notice any changes and some times it can take a couple blocks to really know what is going on.
    When I had my blocks done the first one worked well. I didn't notice anything different till the next day,it did take some of the pain away but not a whole lot. I then had my second,it didn't do anything and the third block I had unfortunately made things worse. It did take a few months to have all three blocks. They wanted in least 4 to 6 weeks between them to see if anything was helping.
    It doesn't always work out that way. I had been in pain for quite some time before even having the blocks. I had already gone through surgery and a year of physical therapy.
    Everyone's body works differently. Don't be afraid because you haven't noticed anything yet.
    In the mean time it is understandable wanting to see someone else,or get your daughter in a clinic that you see to be a better fit. But don't give up hope. Stay positive,even when you think nothing is working. It's so hard to walk that fine line of staying positive but also trying to prepare yourself and your family on what might happen. It can be tough and frustrating to the point you cry,that's ok too. Just remember when you are done crying because of the stress and the concern you have,find something to make yourself smile so that you can fight another day. I know it may sound corny but sometimes all you need is that smile to get you through another day,sometimes you need it more than ever.I hope your daughter sees great results and doesn't have to endure this pain anymore.
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

when you say she had a 'nerve block', just what type of nerve block was this(there are just MANY different types of actual nerve blocks they can do)? was it a sympathetic nervous system block that would ONLY block the SNS signals or something else? if she had only a basic 'nerve block' them everything would have gone numb on her from the level of block on down? knowing just what the specific type of block she had actually was is really important in order to give you the best advice here. just exactly where is her suspected RSD located? marcia

Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
    ddd15
    (female)

ddd15 HB User

Marcia - she had a lumbar sympathetic block. She had it Friday and today she actually noticed a difference. She has RSD in her foot. Her original injury was a fractured fibula and two bones in her ankle. She says her ankle still hurts the same but the pain that used to go all the way up her leg has gone....I guess that's a good sign, right?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

ddd,

I'm glad that your daughter is getting some relief. The lumbar blocks can be different in everyone and sometimes to lack of pain doesn't last. That's why some times they will have you have more than one so that they can tell what avenues are best and what you should consider as your next step. With me the lumbar blocks actually turned everything on more,and that's when they knew for sure that the diagnose was correct. My neuro and surgeon had both warned me about the possibilities of the rsd coming back strong when the nerves came back on. At the time I didn't think I could hurt anymore than I already did and thought it to be worth a shot to get better or in least I'd know what I was fighting.
    I hope your daughter still recovers nicely and has less pain the more time goes by. She must be such a strong girl to deal with all of this,having a mother as concerned as you must help too. I give your daughter "props" for being so tough. Some adults can't handle all this testing,pricking and everything else that comes with this disease. I'm glad she's doing better.
    Have a good holiday(halloween)
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
    ddd15
    (female)

ddd15 HB User

Deanne, thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate the encouragement. I never thought I was a person that needed a pat on the back, but it does help you feel better, doesn't it?!

I pray Kendall's relief continues to increase rather than end up making things worse. I guess I never thought about that. I thought - if it works, it works. I didn't think about it "wearing off". I PRAY Kendall doesn't have to go throug that.

I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point - Thank you to everyone that reads and responds!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

ddd,

You are more than welcome. Everyone needs a pat on the back sometimes or a shoulder to cry on. This disease doesn't just effect the person who has it but the whole family. I know my family has had to change a lot. There are just things I can't do anymore and some are basic stuff that can really make you feel as a burden to your family. It really helps to have a strong support system with your family. It can be hard too. You deserve a pat on the back, I can't imagine how it must feel to see your child in so much pain and you can't fix it,you can only be there for her.
    I hope your daughter does still continue to get better with the blocks. Hopefully since she is going in early in the stages she will get good results. My thoughts are with you and your family. Don't hesitate to ask anything,or even just vent because you are angry at what this disease is doing to her and your family. It's ok. We've all been there and nothing helps more than getting it out there. It's not selfish,it's helpful in more ways than you can imagine.
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
    Sandy325
    (female)

Sandy325 HB User

Dear ddd15

There is an excellent article in the new RSDSA Review periodical that came out today regarding RSD and children titled "Hope for Children with CRPS: The Mayo Family Pediatric Pain Rehabilitation Center (PPRC)." It is located on the Waltham, Mass campus of Children's Hospital Boston.

The RSDSA has an excellent web site with some great research articles.

The best of luck to you with your daughter.

Sandy

Old 10-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

I really agree with Sandy. There is so much information on rsdsa. They have a wonderful site for research. I also like to go to the mayo clinic website and look at their research and studies that have been done for lots of types of people with rsd and the treatments and treatment research.
    The best way to fight is to know what you are fighting and there is no better way than researching all the things out there. You do have to be careful and know that the site is a good one with the right knowledge and is up to date on the research findings. Rsdsa is a great place to read the studies,they have links to other places with studies and a place where you can see what other people have said about the disease and their process with it.
    Deanne

Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

ddd,

Just thought I'd post and see how your daughter is doing. Is the blocks still helping?
    How are YOU doing? Handling all the stress that comes with rsd ok? If you need anything please let me know. I hope she is still doing good and is getting some pain relief.
    Is she making progress with weening off the crutches? I sure hope so.
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
    Kris with RSD
    (female)

Kris with RSD HB User

My doctor's said the same thing. Like this RSD would just instantly go away. He even told me "don't be surprised if you wake up and can just walk instantly". I hadn't walked in like 4 or 5 months, so I was very disappointed when I received my first nerve block. Nothing happened!! NO relief of pain either. So I listened to my doctor and went ahead with more and I am here to tell you that 9 more nerve blocks later, still nothing. No results, nothing. I wouldn't go on with them..just from my experience. Tell her to hold in there no and not to give up. I have been in therapy for 8 months and Im proud to say I am off the crutches on using a cane. TO some it may not be a big improvement but to me it is enormous!! She may not get better and she may not heal. Thats something that we unfortunately have to face but I can tell her that she can walk again.

Hope for her recovery,
    Kristie

Closed Thread