It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Electro Acupuncture?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User
    Electro Acupuncture?

Hi everyone,
    I hope everyone is handling the holidays and winter weather as good as we all can.
    So I've been looking at different things in my state that are done for rsd and pain management and I came across some interesting studies and clinical trials with electro acupuncture.
    I was curious if anyone on here has had that done or know more about it.
    There are a couple of different clinics in the city that I live in that does this specifically for people with rsd/crps and pain management. I know it has been around for awhile but just because it's been around for a while doesn't mean it would be beneficial for me.
    There is a couple clinics here that even base the payments on how your monthly income is and go on a sliding scale for paying for the treatment. It's still kind of spendy but not as bad as some other treatments.
    My pm doctor has heard of it being used for people who need pain management but is concerned with me going through with it because they would have to actually touch the rsd leg and I'm VERY sensitive to touch. I can't have anything touch my leg,no fabrics other than micro fleece so I understand my docs concern.
    Hopefully some of you have heard of this or have had this done and can tell me more about it.
    I hope you all are having some what of pain free days and are staying warm.
    Take care,
    Deanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
    marty2309
    (male)

marty2309 HB User
    Re: Electro Acupuncture?

Hi there,
    I have had Rsd for almost a year now. I have tried virtually everything. I currently see a board certified Neurologist that is certified in accupuncture. I have had 9 treatments to date, one with electrival stimulus. The electrical stimulus was definately not the way to go for me. It totaly aggrevated the symptoms. The standard accupuncture has helped with some of the skin sensitivity issues. I wish you luck and hope your pain lessens.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: Electro Acupuncture?

Hi Marty,

Welcome to the board .

I see you live on Long Island. So do I. I'm in Suffolk...Islip. Nice to meet you.

Sharon

Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
    marty2309
    (male)

marty2309 HB User

Hi Sharon,
    It's nice meeting you

Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

Marty,

Thanks for the reply. That has been one of my concerns with doing any electro accupuncture. I'm very sensitive to touch and I'm worried that it will make things worse or flare up instead of actually helping.
    I have read about it being used for pain management but haven't found anything really to do with rsd. My doctor would like me to try it. He and I really hate having to constantly up my prescriptions all the time.
    I'm just looking for something that will help manage the pain that doesn't involve having to take a handful of pills.
    Thanks again for your reply and welcome to the boards. This is a great place for getting help and advice to better educate yourself on the rsd and it's just nice to be able to go somewhere where EVERYONE knows exactly how you are feeling physically and emotionally.
    I hope you are able to get some help here.
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Hi! Last summer, I had excellent results with my back using electro acupuncture but unfortunately it was very short lived pain relief. We then decided to try it on my right leg and it sent me into orbit with pain. At the time, my leg had not been diagnosed with RSD but there is some debate about how long I have had this monster and it was simply undiagnosed.

Not sure how helpful this was but I felt I should respond anyway.

Harmony, did you post on the back board?

Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

Thanks for your post. You were helpful. Every little bit helps when dealing with this disease. I've learned to come on here with my questions. I ask the doc,but he doesn't truly understand the pain,no one can unless they live it daily.
    I'm not sure if I've posted on the back board. I could have. Since my rsd is spreading into my hips and lower back I could have seen something there and posted,but again I'm not sure.
    Thanks again for your post. I've been trying to find different things that I am viable for that won't cause flare ups or extra pain. I really don't need extra pain.lol My PM doc just increased my morphine doses and included some lidocaine patches. The patches do seem to help alittle but am always looking for ways to get pain relief without a handful of pills.
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Closed Thread