It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• RSD in both Feet -- Shoes???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #46
    judiev331
    (female)

judiev331 HB User
    Re: RSD in both Feet -- Shoes???

Sadly the merry-go-round has not changed over the years. Over the years I have heard many speak of Kiaser, is it a major player in Ca?
    Going armed with articles & websites worked for me (some times.LOL) I had a packet of info I'd print up & keep handy for new docs. One time I actually gave a inservice to the OR nurses before my scheduled block! I found that most people are more than eger to learn about our disease & problems. Two years ago I fell & dislocate& fractured my shoulder. When they were thru setting in the ER nurse came and asked me lots of questions.......I told her of web sites and had hubby bring back a whole mess of articles & web sites!.

We have to work hard to educate people. It maybe hard on us..but just think......the next patient may reap the benifits. I think along the lines of Karma......what goes around comes around.

We put alot of pressure on Doctors. Most people expect a answer in a 10 min vist. Docs generally are able to supply at least part of the answer. When they can't........they get defensive, pompus & if the patient is female...................it's all in her head. I now expect that and plan on working around it.......much better than being disappointed!
    As for the strength........we keep on trying because the alternative is worse.

Wishing you less pain.

JudieV

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #47
    thesunshines365
    (female)

thesunshines365 HB User

Thanks to everyone for the info on shoes. I have had CRPS/RSD in my right foot for a year and have been sock and shoeless since. No one really understands except other who have this condition. Thanks for all the great posts and information that you all provide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sunshine365

Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #48
    ouchyfeetsies
    (female)

ouchyfeetsies HB User

Hello everyone! I also would like to thank you for providing a ton of information, support, and understanding -- seems like it's hard to get these days in relation to RSD/CRPS. So, I've finally been diagnosed with RSD in both of my feet, but one has it a lot worse than the other (the left). I also have fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain (muscle pain throughout my body). As I've mentioned in other posts, my feet feel ice cold all the time, like I'm wearing ice cubes as shoes. It doesn't really hurt to have covers on them, but it does hurt to have closed toe shoes, especially tennis shoes. I've been wearing my crocs that are open toed sandals, they're very comfortable, but no arch support so don't let your podiatrist see haha. I've had a really bad flare up these past couple of days, hopefully the pain dies down.

So, I guess it's good news that I know for a fact that this is what has been afflicting me for the past 6 months and longer. I think my surgeries definitely set it off, but I also think that before the surgeries took place I had a mild form of it in my feet. My feet were badly pronated, to the point of "deformity" by medical terms. When I would just stand and do dishes, I always felt (and still feel) like bugs or ants are crawling around my ankles. As an adolescent I used to ask if my mom had the same feeling which she said she doesn't.

Let me know your thoughts on all this. And any advice is VERY welcome! I feel like I need some guidance. Also, my left arm has been numbing up and tingling for the past couple of weeks. It could be a side effect of Gabapentin, which my neurologist upped the dose on, I'm hoping it's not something serious. It's not painful, just worries me.

Thank you all for having this forum as a place to sort out our thoughts and offer support. I'm very thankful! :-)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #49
    thesunshines365
    (female)

thesunshines365 HB User

I started having numbness and tingling in my arm when I started back on the gabapentin. I stopped taking it when I got frustrated with taking all the meds. I wondered if it was the CRPS moving. It does not feel like that all the time but it is happening at least 2-3 days a week right now. What do you veteran RSD/CRPS sufferers think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sunshine365

Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #50
    trophybass2
    (male)

trophybass2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheri60 View Post
    Hi -
    I have developed RSD in both feet following surgery in July 09 and after a serious fall 4 weeks later. I am not able to go anywhere due to the extreme pain in my feet. I have found one pair of Sketcher shoes that I can tolerate for a few minutes but wonder if anyone has found shoes that at least can be worn? I am desperate. I have ordered several pairs only to send them back as soon as I tried them on.

Has anyone found a pair of shoes that at least can be worn for enough time to go somewhere? I am open to any suggestions, no matter what the price. I also would like to see how others handle this extreme pain in the feet and the feeling of walking on crushed glass or spilled tiny dog food, lol.

Thanks so much,
    Cheri

Cheri60,

I have rsd in both feet from the 3rd surgery of the 8 total I have had. I have had rsd for almost 4 years and it is hard to find anything that is comfortable to walk in. I wear MBT shoes as my pain radiates from the metatarsul area of my foot so normal walking and bending of the toes is very painful. The MBT shoes do not allow you to bend your toes so they help. I would imagine that any shoe with a very stiff sole would work but MBT shoes work for me. I still have a great of pain when I walk so I really don't walk much, I use a wheelchair to get around in. It is not the same as walking but it gets me to where I need to go at home and in the office at work.

I have a scs which does not work, the paddle moved about an inch and it can't be moved back because of the scar tissue around it. I now have a pain pump which worked for about 6 weeks and now is hardly stopping any pain. That is the way this goes for me, I try something and it works for a while and then stops working. Very frustrating but I have to keep trying and keep going.

Sorry to talk about me; MBT shoes work the best for me when I try to walk and fuzzy (lined) crocs when I am at home sitting around. Hope this helps and stay strong, God bless.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #51
    mrsconan
    (female)

mrsconan HB User

Hi my name is Lyn and I have had RSD in my left ankle since June 2007. The shoe I found that seems to work the best is Crocs. Hopefully you live where you can still get them or go on-line and research where to get them. Buy the sandal type with nothing around the ankle. Slip ons are the best. I tried different shoes and these are the only ones that seem to work. Of course after being on my foot for long periods of time, I get quite sore and I just elevate it. I moved to Arizona in June 2010 and it has made a difference. It helped me reduce my pain level plus I can go swimming everyday and get some kinds of exercise. But walking has become easier even with a Spinal Cord Stimulator. If you are in cold weather and you are in the house, elevate your foot, take any socks off and put a very light blanket over your foot to keep your foot from freezing even though it already does. Everyone has somewhat different problems but basically the same tricks work for everyone to a degree. I wish you the best and hope there is a cure someday for all of us.
    Lyn

Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #52
    cbreon596
    (female)

cbreon596 HB User

try New Balance Sneakers, I have RSD and was told by someone else who has the same thing that New Balance Sneakers would be a better sneaker to wear with having RSD and they were right. As long as I'm not on my foot for long hours New Balance Sneakers do the job

Last edited by cbreon596; 09-07-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: adding more text

Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #53
    chellbryden
    (female)

chellbryden HB User

OMG !!! me to i havent found a shoe yet I can wear I have found socks they are at walmart over by the medicine and stuff they are infused with aloe and are very easy on the sensetivity I havent worn a shoe since Feb. of this year to painful and yes feels like glass under my feet. I am so sorry your in pain but it is nice to know I am not alone in this that other people feel like I do and im not crazy or making it up or its in my head.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #54
    ouchyfeetsies
    (female)

ouchyfeetsies HB User

I got the New Balance sneakers, but I just can't wear sneakers. They're too confined. I found a slipper that I always wear at home, since socks are kind of uncomfortable for me. The slippers are DearFoams, and they're supposedly memory foam. As for shoes -- I've had success with FitFlops for sandals. I just got backless clog-type shoes that came in yesterday, I wanted to have covered shoes for winter. They feel fine when I tried them on, but we'll see how they fit for longer term.

--Tanya

Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #55
    speks
    (female)

speks HB User

Hi...new to the board so only now getting to post to messages...I have RSD for 15 yrs now and full body...from the soles of my feet to the top of my head, eyes etc...my feet feel like I have burning needles being pushed into my soles everytime I take a step, crocs are wonderful and around the house I don't wear anything...I need a walking stick or crutches and even tho i inwardly cry with each step I move gently and awkwardly...looking hilarious but I know if I don't move for a few days the swelling is worse and it just makes putting the foot to the ground even more painful then if I keep allowing it to touch the ground.
    I find micro fleece to be wonderful too...anything soft and natural is the best fabrics...if i get to have a sheet on of a nite it is flannelette sheets, even in summer. Everything I own is too big and baggy and I have so gotten over the embarrassment of it all. As long as I AM COMFORTABLE...then that is all that matters...friends etc know u and wont care.

Low pain day to everyone

Speks

Old 12-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #56
    LdyNY
    (female)

LdyNY HB User

I have RSD in my left foot for 5 years, slowly moving to my right foot, and the only shoe I've been able to wear are Fit-Flops. I don't know why, but they don't bother me at all. They're not the greatest in the winter time... cold + snow + flip flops = not fun! But they do not hurt the bottom of my feet, nor the top. I've had the same ones for years, so the tops are loose enough that when I walk, the straps kinda stay off the top of my foot and are very loose. And as soon as I sit down, I take them it right off my left foot, no matter where I am.

I miss wearing socks! I need to find something with full coverage, at least for winter time.. but everything I've tried just makes the pain worse.

Closed Thread