It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• RSD in both Feet -- Shoes???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
    Cheri60
    (female)

Cheri60 HB User
    Question RSD in both Feet -- Shoes???

Hi -
    I have developed RSD in both feet following surgery in July 09 and after a serious fall 4 weeks later. I am not able to go anywhere due to the extreme pain in my feet. I have found one pair of Sketcher shoes that I can tolerate for a few minutes but wonder if anyone has found shoes that at least can be worn? I am desperate. I have ordered several pairs only to send them back as soon as I tried them on.

Has anyone found a pair of shoes that at least can be worn for enough time to go somewhere? I am open to any suggestions, no matter what the price. I also would like to see how others handle this extreme pain in the feet and the feeling of walking on crushed glass or spilled tiny dog food, lol.

Thanks so much,
    Cheri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
    luvlifeagain
    (female)

luvlifeagain HB User
    Re: RSD in both Feet -- Shoes???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheri60 View Post
    Hi -
    I have developed RSD in both feet following surgery in July 09 and after a serious fall 4 weeks later. I am not able to go anywhere due to the extreme pain in my feet. I have found one pair of Sketcher shoes that I can tolerate for a few minutes but wonder if anyone has found shoes that at least can be worn? I am desperate. I have ordered several pairs only to send them back as soon as I tried them on.

Has anyone found a pair of shoes that at least can be worn for enough time to go somewhere? I am open to any suggestions, no matter what the price. I also would like to see how others handle this extreme pain in the feet and the feeling of walking on crushed glass or spilled tiny dog food, lol.

Thanks so much,
    Cheri
    Hi Cheri, I have the same problem my RSD spread into my feet and i have been wearing my daughters shoes(a size bigger) b/c i cant take anything on my feet. Someone told me about the furry crocs-they are so soft and light. I can't get over how heavy shoes feel now. The furry inserts come out so they can be washed. They are not the best looking but sure feel good. Donna

Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
    Cheri60
    (female)

Cheri60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvlifeagain View Post
    Hi Cheri, I have the same problem my RSD spread into my feet and i have been wearing my daughters shoes(a size bigger) b/c i cant take anything on my feet. Someone told me about the furry crocs-they are so soft and light. I can't get over how heavy shoes feel now. The furry inserts come out so they can be washed. They are not the best looking but sure feel good. Donna
    I am really glad to hear of someone else who has problems w/shoes. My podiatrist who did the surgery (& I don't know if it was that or the fall), said it was a nutrition problem!! Couldn't believe it.

I put decorations on the tree the last couple of days and had to stop every few minutes from the pain in my feet and now they are swollen and red/blue. Have just taken more meds as ready to scream -- I am sure you know what I mean.

I will look into furry crocs. Have not heard of them. I have been looking at a pair of Hush Puppies on line that have a memory foam sole. I haven't been able to get out to the store to even try on shoes but have been thinking I should probably order a wide or a size larger. My Sketchers are the most comfortable as they have good cushioned soles, but tight. I might order one of them in a size larger but tired of ordering and sending them back.

My granddaughters live out of town and I told the 11 year old I was like a an old woman now in the way I walk. She said, "You aren't old!", and made me feel better. I hate to have them see me the next time I am able to travel. Do you have problems w/being embarrassed? I have to use a cane now and still walk terrible.

So good to hear from you and will pray you get some relief. Thanks so much for the tip --

Cheri Gomez

Old 12-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
    harmony85
    Veteran
    (female)

harmony85 HB User

Cheri,

I'm so sorry to hear about the rsd giving you all this trouble. I can relate. If my feet aren't swelled up really bad,they feel like I'm wearing a wet and cold boot. I have had the same problem trying to find good shoes that I can in least wear so I can go to the grocery store. It's not like I walk in them because I have to be in my wheelchair either.
    I do agree with the fussy crocs. They do work well. I have found that anything with the micro fleece is a god send. I also bought these micro fleece snow boots from wal-mart. They have been wonderful. The shoe does feel heavy when I am having to actually walk in them but it's not painful like everything else.
    One thing you may want to try is micro fleece socks. I have a couple different pairs and I LOVE them. If i'm home and my feet are swollen I can use the socks and they really help when walking around. I don't know what it is about micro fleece that makes the rsd feel better but I'm so happy it's out there.
    Once again I'm sorry about the pain you are going through. It can be such a hard battle to fight,especially in the winter time.
    Take care and stay warm,
    Deanne

Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
    luvlifeagain
    (female)

luvlifeagain HB User

Hi again. I got my furry crocs at Famous Footwear. Great socks are at Target near the pharmacy section(not the sock section) called "diabetic socks" they are soft and stretchy b/c diabetics can't wear tight clothing. So comfy. I have only found them in white or black but they are great! Good luck. Donna

Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
    luvlifeagain
    (female)

luvlifeagain HB User

Cheri, I am short and have always worn heals. When RSD first spread to my feet i was so upset that i couldn't wear my nice healed shoes or boots. Now I am so happy that I can wear something like crocs that helps me walk better. I do feel embarrassed at times. Sometimes when I'm walking i feel like i'm shuffling like Tim Conway on the old Carol Burnett show! My kids say the same as your grandaughter- one says, your not old your just having a hard time right now. It does make me feel better that they are understanding. I have read about epsom salt that you add to a bath or foot massager and it really helps with aching/pain. I found it really works. Can get it at drug store or Target. Keeping you in my prayers. Keep warm. Donna

Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
    Cheri60
    (female)

Cheri60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvlifeagain View Post
    Cheri, I am short and have always worn heals. When RSD first spread to my feet i was so upset that i couldn't wear my nice healed shoes or boots. Now I am so happy that I can wear something like crocs that helps me walk better. I do feel embarrassed at times. Sometimes when I'm walking i feel like i'm shuffling like Tim Conway on the old Carol Burnett show! My kids say the same as your grandaughter- one says, your not old your just having a hard time right now. It does make me feel better that they are understanding. I have read about epsom salt that you add to a bath or foot massager and it really helps with aching/pain. I found it really works. Can get it at drug store or Target. Keeping you in my prayers. Keep warm. Donna
    Hi Donna,
    Thanks so much for answering. I went to the mall for the first time in years and after two hours of 'shuffling' could not find one pair of shoes. I did find out they had a Croc place but it was on the beginning end of where we were at and I just couldn't walk another foot. (No pun intended, lol).

I came home and ordered another pair of Sketchers through QVC. The only pair of shoes I can wear are Sketchers but had wanted to get something else. The only reason I didn't ask my husband to get me a wheelchair there was pure embarrassment. I understand what you are saying. People stare as I try to walk or try on shoes that feel like I am cutting my feet when I try them on. I will try crocs with the insert as soon as as I am up to trying to get out again.

Aren't grandkids great? They just accept us the way we are and love us anyway. Mine live 1000 miles away (except for a step grandson), and I really miss them. I haven't seen them since before the surgery and fall and even though my dad had a heart procedure I was not physically able to go and see any of my family. I am hoping to go before spring but am just not sure. There are stairs and walking everywhere I would have to go. I don't want to end up in the hospital and be a greater burden on them instead of enjoying a visit!

Thanks for your prayers, that is all that is getting me through the days.
    Cheri

Old 12-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
    tigerlily11
    (female)

tigerlily11 HB User

Hi all,
    It's comforting to me to see posts about the shoe problem although I know it is a real dilemma for all of us. No one truly understands the frustration of mobility and trying to find shoes to do the little bit of walking we can do..

I had an injury and surgery in my left foot which caused the RSD. I was able to wear crocs for a while but then even the insole of the crocs were too hard and the of the croc shoe heel is slightly elevated which causes extreme pain in the bottom of my foot.

The whole foot hurts but the bottom is awful..I couldn't wear the crocs any longer and all I could wear was an old pair of Teva brand flip flops (the insole is called "mush" (made by the Teva brand)..very soft. The newer brand that Teva makes is not as soft!! These flip flops are the kind that have the piece between the big to and the other toes...very painful to my foot!

My probelm is I work full time in an office and have been wearing the same pair of flip flops for over a year with socks to work!! Very embarrassing and my feet are totally exhausted. The inusrance sent me to a place for shoes and/or orthotics and 7 months later they still haven't been able to fit me..They won't approve the place my doctor prescirbed because they don't want to pay their price. in the meantime I'm still in the flip flops and I'm at my wits end!! I have tried ordering shoes online and nothing is soft enough and everything hurts terribly.

I have tried specialty shoe stores and nothing works...in the meantime the insurance company stubbornly refuses to send me to the place my doctor prescribed...they specialize in challenging foot problems.
    I really can't take these flip flops anymore!
    Thanks for reading about my dilemma...
    I see my doc tomorrow and he will once again submit for the other shoe company..so I will have to wait and see what happens...
    I hope we are all able to find comfortable shoes to help us along with our challenges!! One step at a time!!
    Many hugs!
    tigerlily xo

Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
    Cheri60
    (female)

Cheri60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tigerlily11 View Post
    Hi all,
    It's comforting to me to see posts about the shoe problem although I know it is a real dilemma for all of us. No one truly understands the frustration of mobility and trying to find shoes to do the little bit of walking we can do..

I had an injury and surgery in my left foot which caused the RSD. I was able to wear crocs for a while but then even the insole of the crocs were too hard and the of the croc shoe heel is slightly elevated which causes extreme pain in the bottom of my foot.

The whole foot hurts but the bottom is awful..I couldn't wear the crocs any longer and all I could wear was an old pair of Teva brand flip flops (the insole is called "mush" (made by the Teva brand)..very soft. The newer brand that Teva makes is not as soft!! These flip flops are the kind that have the piece between the big to and the other toes...very painful to my foot!

My probelm is I work full time in an office and have been wearing the same pair of flip flops for over a year with socks to work!! Very embarrassing and my feet are totally exhausted. The inusrance sent me to a place for shoes and/or orthotics and 7 months later they still haven't been able to fit me..They won't approve the place my doctor prescirbed because they don't want to pay their price. in the meantime I'm still in the flip flops and I'm at my wits end!! I have tried ordering shoes online and nothing is soft enough and everything hurts terribly.

I have tried specialty shoe stores and nothing works...in the meantime the insurance company stubbornly refuses to send me to the place my doctor prescribed...they specialize in challenging foot problems.
    I really can't take these flip flops anymore!
    Thanks for reading about my dilemma...
    I see my doc tomorrow and he will once again submit for the other shoe company..so I will have to wait and see what happens...
    I hope we are all able to find comfortable shoes to help us along with our challenges!! One step at a time!!
    Many hugs!
    tigerlily xo

HI ~~~
    Thanks so much for your post. I don't know how you are able to keep working, I really don't. I am off my feet most of the day and never wear shoes unless I go to the doctor, etc. I will say at least I can tolerate the Sketcher's until I get there and then back home. I might even take them off while AT the doctors, but he is used to it now.

What store did they want you to go to for the shoes that will be fitted for your problem? I would be willing to go and pay for it myself if I could find some shoes. I, too, think the Crocs sole would be too hard and heavy but I will try it if and when I am able to get out again.

My friend has had it in one foot for years and is now on disability and early retirement. She wears Clarks privo, I think there are a few styles. Then, she cuts off the top strap. When she gets somewhere i.e., church, she just slips off her shoe. However, it doesn't help that she lives in a much colder state that I do!

I have also not been able to find any socks that don't hurt from the elastic or spandex they put in them. I am trying some diabetic socks I got yesterday -- someone here recommended them. If I had pretty feet I might not mind so much, lol, but I don't feel I do and hate it when I can't even put on socks.

I am so sorry that you, also, are having the intense pain and inability to walk well. Have you tried disability and early retirement?

I pray each of you here have a good Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am going to my husband's family and they haven't seen me since this happened and I am not sure of the reaction I will get. It really doesn't matter as I can't do anything about it anyway.

Thanks so much for all the posts. I was truly desperate when I reached out on this site.
    Cheri

Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
    tigerlily11
    (female)

tigerlily11 HB User

Hi Cheri!
    My doctor wanted to send me to a company that specializes in making orthopedic shoes and orthotics for people with challenging fot issues such as neuropathy and RSD. They've been in business for many years and have helped a lot of people. They did an evaluaton on my feet, but the insurance company declined their bid (almost $1700) so they sent me to a company that is on their provider list. their company doesn't specialize in just feet. Anyway after 7 months they were able to come up with a solution and they realy tried. In the meantime, I am still shoe-less.
    My doctor is re-submitting his request again so we'll see what happens!
    i am glad that you are at least able to wear the Sketchers for a short time to get you to appointments, etc!
    I hope yuo and everyone has an enjoyable holiday and is able to forget our challenges, and enjoy the day!
    Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and new beginnings in 2010!
    Hugs,
    Tigerlily xo

Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
    mrsconan
    (female)

mrsconan HB User

Hi, I have had RSD in my left foot for 2 1/2 years now and the only shoe, after trying several, is CROC's. You can buy them at your local Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Meijers. But if you need dresser ones you can order them thru the croc website. These are the only shoes I can wear from the time I get up to the time I go to bed.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
    Cheri60
    (female)

Cheri60 HB User

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I haven't tried Crocs as I think they would slip off my feet, but I did order a second pair of Sketchers from QVC. They fit a little large, have great soft support and the fabric around the foot doesn't bind. For me, I think this is as close as I will get to anything near being tolerated to walk in. They do stretch, although the pair I just ordered feel more comfortable to me than the first ones I bought.

When I am able to get out again, I will try the Crocs.

Thanks so much for all who have suggested them.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
    Reiannasmommy26
    (female)

Reiannasmommy26 HB User

I also have RSD in both feet, I wear my ace band aids on my legs socks and my furry bear claw shoes, they are like the slippers you just put your feet into with no ankle. With the swollen of feet even a size big has now stretched out so they are a little more comfhy I have wide feet to begin with so. It's really a struggle to find an okay pair of shoes to even wear when you have to go out, so buy as many pairs as you can. I know my mother in law who also has RSD wears those little house shoe slippers everywhere.
    Hope you find some comfort

Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
    Cheri60
    (female)

Cheri60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reiannasmommy26 View Post
    I also have RSD in both feet, I wear my ace band aids on my legs socks and my furry bear claw shoes, they are like the slippers you just put your feet into with no ankle. With the swollen of feet even a size big has now stretched out so they are a little more comfy I have wide feet to begin with so. It's really a struggle to find an okay pair of shoes to even wear when you have to go out, so buy as many pairs as you can. I know my mother in law who also has RSD wears those little house shoe slippers everywhere.
    Hope you find some comfort
    Hi and thanks for writing.

I have two pairs of Sketchers, just different types of mary janes and have found that at least I can tolerate them enough to get to the doctor. They have the absolute best padding on the sole of my feet and that is where the pain is the worst. QVC has several styles and are cheaper than in the store. They are for the most part cloth, so give and aren't as binding on the foot.

The straps are always closed w/Velcro so can be as loose or tight as you want. There is plenty of length in the straps or you don't even have to use them or you could just cut them off, like my friend does.

I never dreamed pain in my feet could be so terrible. Maybe a scooter is in the works on down the road if I get healthy enough to go out for any length of time. My feet have really been cold lately as it was 34 here tonight in South Texas!! Who would have thought...

Thanks again.
    Cheri

Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
    mrsconan
    (female)

mrsconan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cheri60 View Post
    I am really glad to hear of someone else who has problems w/shoes. My podiatrist who did the surgery (& I don't know if it was that or the fall), said it was a nutrition problem!! Couldn't believe it.

I put decorations on the tree the last couple of days and had to stop every few minutes from the pain in my feet and now they are swollen and red/blue. Have just taken more meds as ready to scream -- I am sure you know what I mean.

I will look into furry crocs. Have not heard of them. I have been looking at a pair of Hush Puppies on line that have a memory foam sole. I haven't been able to get out to the store to even try on shoes but have been thinking I should probably order a wide or a size larger. My Sketchers are the most comfortable as they have good cushioned soles, but tight. I might order one of them in a size larger but tired of ordering and sending them back.

My granddaughters live out of town and I told the 11 year old I was like a an old woman now in the way I walk. She said, "You aren't old!", and made me feel better. I hate to have them see me the next time I am able to travel. Do you have problems w/being embarrassed? I have to use a cane now and still walk terrible.

So good to hear from you and will pray you get some relief. Thanks so much for the tip --

Cheri Gomez
    Hi Cheri,

I'm glad I was able to help. Yes, I know how it feels to be embarrassed. I had to use an amigo just to get around stores because the pain was so bad. I was on crutches for 3 months with a walking boot. Then in a walking boot for a total of 8 months until I ran into a wonderful doctor who changed my life. He was a foot doctor who ran some test and everything came back negative for sprains. That is when he sent me to pain matrix in Saginaw, MI. When they told me I had this terrible disease and there is no cure, my heart dropped. But we prayed they could do something. With the RSD being in my foot, I was a good candidate for a Spinal Cord Stimulator. The spinal blocks never worked. So February 2008, my life changed. I was able to walk with less pain and where something besides a walking boot. If you can goto a pain management clinic and see if you are a candidate for a spinal cord stimulator. They put wires called leads connected to your spine and put a little machine in your hip. Then you have a little remote that you carry around with you that you can control your pain level with. It's awesome. What the machine does is intercept the nerves from your bad foot going up to your brain and send good signals down to it. This way the brain is fooled that their is no injury down there, leave it alone. The only downfall I have found to having the machine is learning to adjust to it because you will buzz (electric impulses) until you get used to it. Then you have to charge the machine in your hip. Wow, I was willing just to get out of that pain. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heart beat. The only pills I'm on besides vitamins is Lyrica and Tramadol. I do have the winter crocs with fur in them plus summer ones. I would seriously recommend them instead of skeeters. I normally wear size 8 1/2 shoes and I wear size 10 in crocs. These are really reasonable prices shoes. Summer ones you can get at a Family Dollar even for $5.00 and the winter ones in Walmart or Meijers for a little more. Don't goto Payless shoes, they don't carry them. It will be worth every penny you spend and they last awhile. I'm glad to know someone who has it in her foot too. Good Luck and hope to hear from you again.
    Lyn

Closed Thread