It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• RSD & chiropractic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2003, 01:32 AM   #1
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Post RSD & chiropractic

Hi,

I am considering going to a chiropractor so that he can help me with the RSD problems I have in the left knee/leg.

Do you have any experience with chiropractic and did it work for you? What precautions should I take so that I will not get hurt by chiropractic and so that my RSD will not flare up and spread?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
    sltanner

sltanner HB User
    I go to a chiropracter on a regular basis for general health care, not the RSD. Other than making my body feel better I don't think it has had any specific affect on the RSD or causing flare ups. - Shelley

Old 08-31-2003, 01:55 AM   #3
    Aly B

Aly B HB User
    Hi SFangel,

Like Shelley I go to see my chiropractor on a weekly basis since my accident to keep my spine supple and to treat the whiplash and back problems I had.

In the first 2 months after the accident I did get him to do some work on my foot and ankle as I was worried about my active range of movement, but after that it was much too painful to do. I would no longer let him physically do much, if anything, with mr RSD affected leg, other than to free up the hip joint now and then.

Take care.. *hugz*

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif

Aly

Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 AM   #4
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Hi, shelley and aly

Thanks for letting me know that chiropractic care does not have any effect on RSD, other than causing pain.

Aly, I also have whiplash. Does chiropractic help you with this?

My chiropractor told me I have a misaligned left ankle. My RSD is in the left knee/leg.

Why does your hip joint need to be freed up?

Old 09-01-2003, 03:43 AM   #5
    Aly B

Aly B HB User
    Hi SFangel,

The chiropratic treatment was all I had for my whiplash, I asked my physios to not work on that area at all, and my neck healed very well, I have only a little intermittent neck pains and residual headaches from the whiplash. My chiropractor is absolutely fantastic!

As for your ankle, if it is mis-aligned it probably needs to be fixed as this will untimately cause you other problems. If the RSD is not in this area your chiropractor may be able to do adjustments in this area. However if there is any RSD pain in the area it would need to be completely deadened so that no pain response is sent to the brain while it was fixed.

Hope this helps,

*hugz*

Aly

Old 09-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #6
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Hi, Aly

I am glad your chiropractor helped you. I have heard a lot of good things about chiropractors and I sure hope mine will be able to help me get better.

My chiropractor plans to work on my neck but he is afraid to "touch" my left knee/leg, where I have RSD.

Unfortunately, the misaligned ankle is my left ankle. I have RSD in the left leg from mid thigh all the way down to the toes of my left foot, so my left ankle is also affected. However, it should not be much of a problem because my RSD is most severe in the left knee. As long as he stays away from my knee, RSD should not flare up and spread.

What kind of problems do you think my misaligned ankle might cause?

"If there is any RSD pain in the area it would need to be completely deadened so that no pain response is sent to the brain while it was fixed." What do you mean by "deadened" and how can the chiropractor do that?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #7
    sltanner

sltanner HB User
    I first started seeing chiros over 20 yrs ago because of whiplash, and I would not be here today if not for them! They are the only ones who could get rid of the severe headaches that go along with whiplash. Misaligned ankles? If you think about it, your ankles create the base for your entire body when standing, if they are not aligned, your entire body would be off canter. I think it would be most noticable in your hips and back. That's just and educated guess. - Shelley

Old 09-03-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Hi,

I had my first chiropractic treatment yesterday.

The doctor pushed and pulled on my misaligned ankle (the left ankle, part of my left leg, where I have RSD) but it did not hurt too much at the time. Later, the pain increased but it was not too bad so I just took 2 Vicodin tablets.

The doctor also worked on my neck. His work was not too painful but it seemed to have decreased my neck pain somewhat. However, I wanted to "crack" my neck real bad after his treatment. I could not resist so I cracked my neck.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #9
    Aly B

Aly B HB User
    SFangel,

How long has you has the problems with your neck.. if it has been out for a while then his adjustment would maje it feel 'unusual' but that is because you are not used to having it in the right place. Next time mention it to the chiropractor that you felt you had to crack it and get his opinion.

A good chiropractor is worth a million dollars, a bad one can do more harm than good!

Take care,

Aly

Old 09-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
    SFangel
    Inactive

SFangel HB User
    Hi, Aly:

I have had the problems in my neck since August 25, 2001, the day when I was a pedestrian struck and injured by a car while crossing the street on a crosswalk.

I now understand why my neck feels "unusual". I will mention this to my chiropractor and ask his opinion.

How can you tell if a chiropractor is good or bad?

Thanks.

Closed Thread