It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• riceneuroni gluten-free diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
    matb

matb HB User
    Post riceneuroni gluten-free diet

Hi,

I was just reading your posts about gluten-free diet. My husband was dxed with celiac disease about 2 yrs ago. His dx was based on biopsy of small intestine, but 2 separate blood tests came back negative. He tried gluten-free diet for a few months then had another biopsy which showed no change in small intestine, so he went back to normal diet.

Just about a year ago he had surgery (for another problem) and woke up in agonizing pain. RSD was finally dxed after 6 months - with damage showing up on bone scan and xray.

After reading posts about benefits of vitamin B12 and doing some research we started to wonder if there was a connection between the celiac disease and RSD because of vitamins not being absorbed properly. So he recently started the B12 and some other B vitamins.

Now that I've read of your success on gluten-free diet and B12 I'm even more convinced there is a connection (at least in some cases).

My husband is going to try the diet again to see if
    there's any improvement in pain. His pain has come down a little since starting elavil and doubling baclofen a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway I just wanted to thank you for sharing what has been working for you. I'm very hopeful that it may also work for my husband.

matb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 04:13 AM   #2
    riceneuroni
    Veteran

riceneuroni HB User
    Hi matb, Welcome

Thank you so much for taking time to come on and tell me this. It really is appreciated. I wish your hubby all the best in recovering. It really is a bear of a diet.

It seems like it took a long time before I even noticed the slightest hint of feeling better. It wasn't until I found out that even foods that contained ingredients processed with gluten had to be eliminated that I really felt better - foods like white vinegar and a bunch of others - things I never suspected.

I hope you and your hubby have a pleasant day.

Closed Thread