It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• How can I work with RSD? Advice please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
    Kathryn802
    (female)

Kathryn802 HB User
    How can I work with RSD? Advice please

The first time I had RSD in my left foot my doctor had me take 3 months off and delay going to grad school. When I eventually did go, the RSD was under better control, but it was still excruciatingly painful and a miserable existence. Luckily after more than a year and a series of nerve blocks, I went into remission.

It's been 10 years since then, and I've been diagnosed with severe Psoriatic Arthritis and my body has seriously degenerated. I don't have the stamina I did when I was first diagnosed with RSD at 22.

Now it seems that the RSD is back in my left arm. I'm in a tremendous amount of pain, as I'm sure you all know. I work in the children's room of a library, checking in and out books, running children's programs, doing advertising, etc. I took off four days to rest, went back to work, and within 30 minutes I was in agony.

The doctor had me take 10 days off. I'm supposed to go back to work on May 21st. However, I don't see how I'm possibly going to do that. The pain is only getting worse. I can't type on the computer and if I move my left arm, the pain is unbearable. Most of my job involves typing on a computer and moving my upper body. When I tried to go back to work, I used a sling, thinking that immobilizing the arm would help. It didn't.

What should I do? It's hard to explain pain to my colleagues. If I had cancer or broken bones or something more identifiable, they'd be able to understand. Nerve issues are harder to explain.

At work, we do have the option of short term disability where you'd get paid 65% of your pay for up to 6 months. However, I'd need something from my doctor to be able to qualify.

How do I get my doctor to write me a letter giving me some time off?

Is there any way to work with RSD when it's in full attack?

The following user gives a hug of support to Kathryn802:
    SweetPeainSF (05-14-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
    SweetPeainSF
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
    Re: How can I work with RSD? Advice please

I'm still working, but I am fortunate that my arms are unaffected. I also have more heat and swelling than flat-out, unbearable pain.

Ask your HR folks about reasonable accommodation (carts for books, voice recognition software, ergonomic evaluation). If you are still unable to work with what your work is able to provide, you can schedule a dr's appt for the afternoon and go to work that morning. Then the doctor can see you at your worst.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
    painman2009
    Veteran
    (male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User
    Re: How can I work with RSD? Advice please

ok.. i was out of work for 7 months from original injury, then returned for a year before RSD , and multiple back injuries rendered me imbile. I went to er then to my dr,s.. just ask your dr to write a note stating partially disabled. fill out for disability leave at work and FMLA form.. that is Family, medical leave act .. this allows you to be out of work while dealing with you injury or spouse ,parent child and you can retain your position . and your temp disability plan will go into affect .. then you can ask your employer if they have a plan to aid disabilities at work.. like sweat pea said. maybe light duty. to get you back into action.. I do know that immobilizing you RSD affected limb is bad.. atrophy (or wasting ) will start and trust me it is hard and painful to stop its effects. let alone reverse it. plus the joints will freeze . good luck to you.. soft hugs and warm wishes

The following user gives a hug of support to painman2009:
    SweetPeainSF (06-07-2012)
    Closed Thread