It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Questions of numbness/tingling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
    Question Questions of numbness/tingling

I'm recently diagnosed with CRPS and I have a question. I am starting to get tingling and a little numbness in my toes and some in my arm. The CRPS is in my left leg. Is this something that usually happens? I have heard about the pain/sensitivity but not of the numbness or tingling. Any advise or has anybody else had this happen to them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
    lake county
    Inactive
    (male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User
    Re: Questions of numbness/tingling

Textbook. Two of my fingers are totally numb to the touch along with that side of my hand. And if the mass (legion) and the area around gets touched, it's like electricity. Even the wind hurts.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

That sucks!!! I have really been hoping that the diagnosis was wrong, that this isn't really what's wrong with me, and that all the symptoms are because of the torn tendons! I have been really depressed the last couple of days thinking about all of this and it seems like today, I have felt worse! I haven't had any sensitivity to touch, just the tingling and now numbness that is starting. My leg gets either achy, sharp pains, or I will get a burning feeling in the back of my calf. My left leg is what's injured, but I get the achy feeling in my left arm, and now the numbness and tingling in both feet.
    Does this mean that it's starting to progress?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
    jewlz67
    (female)

I was really hoping that all this recent stuff was just all in my head and that it one had nothing to do with the other, that maybe I was just sitting wrong or maybe it was the way I was sitting with the laptop on my legs.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
    lake county
    Inactive
    (male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User

...before you let your mind get to fixated on this, you need to gather your thoughts. If you let yourself get depressed and or sad and anxious, you will just make things harder on your self. Just try to keep a positive attitude and things will be ok.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
    jewlz67
    (female)

Thanks Lake. I'm trying very hard not to let this get the best of me. I have a friend who has a severe case of RSD and I have watched her progressively get worse through the years, to the point where she is totally disabled. It scares me to think that that could be me one day!!! I still have sooo many questions with all of this. I see my PM doctor on Thursday before PT so, guess I'll have to wait to see what she says. My left foot is on fire half the time and now my right foot has the pins and needles in my toes.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
    Wiired
    (male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User

the numbness and tingling is normal. My crps originate in the shoulder but 2 of my fingers and half of my forearm have been numb for months.

I am now totally disabled and on social security disability because it took 6 to 7 months of misdiagnosis before I was diagnosed. the longer you wait the harder it gets to treat. Frankly, I am glad that they at least eventually figured it out, especially after hearing some of the stories here of those who waited years.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
    jewlz67
    (female)

So sorry to hear that Wiired. I just reread the question I posted and I guess I didnt get out the question the way I meant for it to come out. I wanted to ask if it was normal to get the numbness and tingling in the opposite leg. My injury is on the left leg and I get the pins and needles, legs on fire feeling in that leg. However, it's only been this past week that I started getting the numbness and tingling in my right foot now. I've heard that it can go to different limbs but not sure how it would spread that quick....especially if my case is considered mild. Any opinions?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
    Kev629
    Inactive
    (male)

Kev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB User

The slightest trauma can cause a spread once you have this. my first was caused by the use of a Sesitivity pin 4 ins outside the affected area. Made it go from belw wrist upto elbow.

Last edited by Kev629; 07-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
    fluttersby
    (female)

fluttersby HB Userfluttersby HB User

I have a question similar to this. It seems I have several areas kind of all over my body with sensitivity. Not large areas, just small ones when rub my hand over them, it feels like a neuralgia or something, but worse.Nothing has settled in one place other than what I have in my leg.

Thanks so much everyone for posting questions that are similar to what I am thinking at the time.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
    Wiired
    (male)

Sometimes I get "twinges" in my opposite shoulder but not often. Hopefully it stays that way.

But I do have numbness in both of my big toes...

Last edited by Wiired; 07-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
    jewlz67
    (female)

So I got a good report from my PM doctor. She thinks that because I am walking harder on my right foot cuz I've been compensating it for the injury on my left foot, that that is why I am having these problems. She wants to keep a close watch on me still. I see her the day before I see the surgeon to recheck everything and she said she is going to recommend they give me a nerve block in my ankle before they do the surgery to help calm the nerves ahead of time. I am so thankful for all of you who have replied to this post! It truly helps having you all and I thank you for it!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
    Kev629
    Inactive
    (male)

Kev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB User

There are at least 2 US doctors who give a full sympathetic nerve block before any operation on a RSD sufferer and who report that not one has suffered a flare or spread since they have started using that method.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
    Wiired
    (male)

Thats good to know Kev. Every surgeon I talk to here refuses to operate on someone with RSD because they are scared they will make it worse and get sued. Before I got my second surgery I received a brachial plexus block. Unfortunately my condition had not yet been diagnosed, so I cant really say if it helped or hurt. I believe I had RSD before my second surgery but I'm not sure. Sometimes I wonder if it would have turned out different, who knows.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
    Kev629
    Inactive
    (male)

I have read of 6 RSD suffers who have had amputations done this way. All report no more RSD, 2 said they had mild phantom limb pains for a month afterward and 2 had already got artificial limbs and returned to work.
    I'm trying to persuade a professor over here to try it on me.

Last edited by Kev629; 07-28-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Closed Thread