It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• /starting on Suboxone

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
    shequest
    (female)

shequest HB User
    /starting on Suboxone

Hello...
    I have had RSD for a very long time, for many years more than my Dr.s first thought... I was diagnosed in 1987. I had arthriscope surgery on my left knee, 3 days later landed in hospital with deep thrombosis, extreme pain. Clots went, pain increased.
    My left leg had been in remission for many years now, but have RSD down my left side to the 10th rib, very serious horse accident.
    I have been on a few pain killers, first Leritine til it was taken off the market, and then hydromorpone, along with many other nerve receptor medications. This grouping of medications helped me continue as a horse trainer. I am now 66, smashed a knuckle on my right ring finger, severe RSD symptoms, coloration, sweating, swelling...
    I was also diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea a few years ago... My mask wore out and I was too lazy to go to town and get another one... I had just finished calving season, was extremely tired, went into a Sleep Apnea session, my husband called the Ambulance, didn't listen to me, just let me sleep. Told the medics that I have overdosed, given Narcan which immediately threw me into convulsions... given Fenytenal IV and flown by helicopter to town...The GP I had immediately tried covering his butt because one of the medics asked why an old lady like me should have all these high powered opiates on hand... So he tried to cover his ***... he lied to me about not knowing about the medivac, hospital ER stay, which stated Sleep Apnea was the diagnosis... He actually lied to me twice, and refused to admit he had... so he fired me... easy out right!!!
    I am now going to a wonderful PM Dr., from South Africa, why do they know so much about RSD.

He tried a fentanyl patch, but really didn't do too much, so tomorrow I am to shower and scrub off where the patch was, wait an hour for withdrawal to happen, ie, sweats, shaking, weakness, etc. then take a Suboxone 2mg sublingually.... He is calling at 8 am to see how I am...

Is anyone here taking Suboxone for RSD pain, if so how has it worked, and how long does it work, for RSD pain...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
    Wiired
    (male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User
    Re: /starting on Suboxone

I have been on Suboxone, 8mg - 3x per day plus a Butrans patch @20mcg/hr for almost a year. It has been the best so far for me, but still no magic bullet.

Just got my spinal cord stim, see how it goes

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
    sophia554
    (female)

sophia554 HB Usersophia554 HB User

Hello there!
    I am sorry you at feeling unwell
    How is Suboxone working out for you so far?
    I was on morphine and switched to Suboxone 10.5 months ago. It has been by far the most successful drug for me when it comes to pain.
    It certainly doesn't eliminate very that- even on the highest dose- but I have been more functional for more days of the year.

My favorite aspect of it relates to you in that I also train horses ( no calving, though). I appreciate that I can take Suboxone and not get high so ce I obviously want to keeps wits about me around the horses. I can or do who I used to do and I have an assistant to handle all of the leg work, but Suboxone has helped keep me in the saddle much of the year.

As you likely know, Suboxone can be her dangerous. This is particularly so she. It is used in conjunction w/other drugs that lower heart rate. When I switched off of morphine and onto Suboxone, my doctor gave me a voice between hospitalization for three days or her calling my husband or I every hour on the hour. It sounds a little bit like you might not have the support of a physician in your drug change but I could have completely misunderstood. I would highly recommend grilling your doc about how to use this drug safely if you haven't already gone through that process. If you have, disregard this

In addition to Suboxone, I take gabapentin, tizanadine, injectable ketetolac, and a skew of dietary supplements.
    The rough life of horsemanship is never going to let us recover like fourteen year olds, but I have found that good riding, lots of rest, the right diet and medications, and excellent doctors- equals a much higher quality ofide than I would have otherwise.

Best of luck- I do hope you are feeling better and I look forward to an update

Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
    Wiired
    (male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User

My switch to Suboxone went without a hitch. I recently switched from Suboxone to Subutex due to a certain stigma that comes with Suboxone. Subutex is just plain old buprenorphin without the added Naloxone.

I had an issue when changing primary care doctors : as soon as they heard "Suboxone" they immediately referred to me as an addict and refused me as a patient. I had my PM doc change my drug for that reason. Suboxone is predominantly used for addiction withdrawal and not as often for chronic pain management.

Sad that there are still doctors out there who make assumptions like that without ever looking at any other possibilities.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
    shequest
    (female)

shequest HB User

Just read your message, so sorry for not replying sooner... When I first was put on Suboxone, my Dr. called out to the ranch twice a day to talk to me and ask if I was ok... He said that he had talked to the Rescue Helicopter, that it might be needed for me, to fly quick to town...
    But the change was fine, he didn't tell me about the slowed heart rate, but he did tell me a couple of weeks ago, my blood pressure was too low...
    He at first told me that he would put on as high a dosage of Suboxone as I needed for pain, but now he is getting scary about 2 x 8 mgs per day... says not to take two a day if I didn't need them, because my system would get used to them and not work... well that happens with all pain medication for me...
    I think I am the first pain patient that he has had who is a horse trainer and a rancher, he can't believe how an old lady, let alone with RSD, can accomplish what we do in a day...
    I told him that if I hadn't forced myself through the pain to work my horses, to clean stalls, to show, I would have been a frothing vegetable in a wheel chair... you need to use it to keep it... I also don't think he knows about really bad RSD pain... at first he tried to tell me I didn't have RSD, but something else, and when he sent me to physio, he said he was going to put that down, but....
    But... now he knows it is real.
    I too, feel brighter, and more alert off of hydromorphone, but I don't get the same pain relief... and I can only do 1/4 of what I did before on the hydro... I don't have a stall cleaner, so I've had to send my trainers home, and I turned out all my own horses I was training, I can ride or clean stalls but I can't do both in a day... and calving season this year is very tasking... I finally said last week, I cannot go out side to day and deliver calves, dr. (I'm a Vet Assist), or feed, bring in the extra man... that is the first time I have ever done that... and it made me very unhappy...
    Maybe I can get through one whole year without a broken bone...!

Reply Reply