It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

Anyone have a BIER BLOCK???

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
jewlz67
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Anyone have a BIER BLOCK???

My PM doctor is talking about wanting to do a Bier Block. I have been doing a lot of reading on this. Some say it's good, that it works, others say it is a wrong procedure to do for RSD because you don't want to put a needle in the foot where the RSD is. I'm very apprehensive about having this done since the nerve block my PM doctor did last time made the RSD worse, not better!!! I have been off work since she did that block as well!!! They tried to have me go back to work for only four hours a day, no standing or walking allowed. Ha! I worked for two days and I was done! I had such severe back spasms from sitting for that long! I cannot sit straight up for over an hour much less four hours!!! Anyways, since all of that has happened, she knows I will not do another nerve block. Thus the reason for the Bier Block. So....has anybody had this done to them before for RSD and if so, how did you tolerate it? Did it help? and What was your pain level before and after? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
InPain365
Inactive
(male)

InPain365 HB User
Re: Anyone have a BIER BLOCK???

I've never had it done but, I have read about it & anything I've found said not to do it. It does sound painful, so for me, I wouldn't do the procedure. I had an EMG once, and only once, on my bad leg & since then NO-ONE gets to touch my leg.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
shellrsd
(male)

shellrsd HB User

yes i have the biers block done every two - three weeks and in my opinion it dosent work that great the best thing that comes outta it is that the burning will go away for about a week and thats the only reason i still have it done . the needle they give me in my hand where the rsd is hurts like hell but the pain after the treatment is still the same and sometimes worse than ever but like i said at least the burning goes away for a little bit so good luck and ya never know it could be the best thing for you to do at least give it a try once

Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
SloRian
(female)

SloRian HB UserSloRian HB UserSloRian HB UserSloRian HB User

Gosh, that's such a tough decision because unfortunately, you DO have to have an IV line in your foot My daughter (age 17, has had RSD for 9 months, started in left foot, spread to whole left side and started to go to right side) had some Bier blocks after having 3 spinal blocks (first one lasted a month, second two weeks, third only a day). The Bier blocks kind of followed the same pattern - first lasted a month, second 2 weeks, then third a day, but then we found out that she had re-fractured her foot, so we put her back in a surgery boot and she got another Bier block and it held for about 3 weeks, IIRC.

For my daughter, the Bier block was better than the spinal block in terms of pain of the procedure. She would cry on the table, even when heavily medicated, for the spinal block. The IV in the foot for the Bier block is no joke, especially since the veins tend to contract with the disease, but overall it was less painful for her than the spinal blocks because once the IVs were done, it wasn't painful anymore.

That block lasted a few weeks, then the next lasted a week, IIRC, then we were scheduling a spinal stimulator when we heard of the Calmare treatment. She reacted really, REALLY well to Calmare, and it's not painful at all (see the Calmare thread if you're interested in more details).

It's a tough call, but I hope the information about my daughter's experience with the Bier block has helped you. Good luck!!

Last edited by SloRian; 04-16-2013 at 12:22 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SloRian For This Useful Post:
jewlz67 (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
SloRian
(female)

ps - the whole procedure lasts about 45 minutes. Also, it needs to be done in a surgery center instead of just the doctor's office.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
jewlz67
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Thank you for the info SloRian! The three nerve blocks that I had, I was in a surgery center and they had me knocked out for the entire thing. They said they would do the same for this one. I went to my neurologist for a second opinion on doing the block and he told me you run into the danger of nerve necrosis...basically, the nerve dies. He said I would then actually be in more pain than had I not done the procedure at all so he isn't recommending it. I think I will wait till it gets to a point to where every day is unbearable....then I might consider it. Until then, I think I will just stick with doing my stretches, exercise bike, and walking to keep the limbs moving and continue with my drugs...or even see if we can switch things up a bit till we find the right combination. I think I am also going to check to see if we can do some kind of aqua therapy.

The following user gives a hug of support to jewlz67:
SloRian (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
SloRian
(female)

There was a surgical room in my daughter's pain doctor's office that was sufficient for the nerve blocks, but they didn't quite knock her out all the way. We had to go to a surgery center for the Bier blocks, I'm guessing, because of the blood draining equipment. She was again almost all the way out, but not quite - I'm not sure why.

There's probably risk in any procedure, but for us, it was the Bier block or a spinal stimulator, so we went with the Bier blocks. I'm sure he mentioned some side-effect, because pretty much everything has side effects, but he thought it was the best thing for the next step, and we really didn't want it spreading into other parts of her body, so we went with it. She recovered quicker from the Bier block than from the spinal block (I don't know about you, but they both wiped her out pretty good for a few days).

FaithMom said that Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (H-Bot) put her daughter into remission 3 times. I don't know much about that one - hopefully FaithMom can start a thread when she gets a bit of time, because I'd like to learn more. Both that and the Calmare treatment are much less invasive - no needles! I'm definitely looking into the H-Bot, just to have more options on the table, because it IS a less-invasive procedure, and those are sure nice! I'd love to hear from you about your experience with water therapy, if you go with that. It's so helpful to hear what other people go through and how it works for them.

Anyway, good luck - this thing is SO hard to bear ...

Last edited by SloRian; 04-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to SloRian:
jewlz67 (04-18-2013)
Reply Reply