It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

Thalidomide treatment for RSD?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
gabbymsw
(female)

gabbymsw HB User
Thalidomide treatment for RSD?

Has anyone used Thalidomide for treatment for RSD? My Doc wants to start me on that medication as I shattered my wrist and it caused RSD.

The following user gives a hug of support to gabbymsw:
SloRian (05-13-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
sjb
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Thalidomide treatment for RSD?

Greetings! I want to Welcome you to the General Health Boards! I am sorry about the Reflex Sympathic Dystrophy it must be painful. I hope you feel better. In the past pregnant women used it for nausea or sleep and children were born without limbs as a result because it can cause birth defects if a person gets pregnant while on it. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 04-07-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: abbreviation written out per policy

Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
gabbymsw
(female)

gabbymsw HB User

Thanks for the reply. However, I am past the child bearing age. Yes it is very painful. Some days are very depressing.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: gabbymsw
jess731 (04-07-2013),jewlz67 (05-15-2013),sjb (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
sjb
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings! I am sorry you are depressed. Perhaps a walk in the sunshine may help lift up the feelings a bit. Peace, sjb

Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
SloRian
(female)

SloRian HB UserSloRian HB UserSloRian HB UserSloRian HB User

Welcome, Gabbymsw! I haven't heard about thalidomide, either, but this is a great place to hear about new treatments and how different people react to them. I'm so sorry you have to be here, but I hope you can find some help here.

Personally, I preferred starting with the more "physical" treatments over the heavier drug treatments like ketamine. My daughter started off with spinal blocks, and then when those stopped working, we went to Bier blocks, which also gradually stopped working. At that point, we had a choice between ketamine and a SCS (spinal cord stimulator). We were scheduling a SCS when we stumbled across a mention of a fairly new treatment called Calmare, and we decided to go to New Jersey to be treated by a doctor that specializes in RSD. My daughter responded really well to the treatments, and is in remission. She's been in remission over a month now, which is longer than any of the other treatments lasted.

We're all different, but personally, I'd recommend at least looking into some of the blocks (spinal and/or Bier) and maybe Calmare before trying something like thalidomide, which seems to be such a heavy-duty drug. I think there are threads on all of those treatments. But of course it's up to you. Blessings to you, and best wishes for a good treatment!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
DreamAwake
(female)

DreamAwake HB User

I was on Thalidomide for advanced rsd and it was a life saver. It didnt "cure me" but it did help in many ways. After multiple dr's and treatments I was declining fast. There are many hoops to jump thru, and your dr has to be dedicated.

Reply Reply