It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• RSD and weather changes

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
    snowman2
    (male)

snowman2 HB Usersnowman2 HB User
    RSD and weather changes

Does the climate or weather affect you RSD and if so how and what do you do ? I am like a barometer when it rains or is snowing or cold my pain goes like from a 4 to an 8 just like that and all I can do is try to stay warm , dry , and medicate . I would really like to know if this affects anyone else thanks snowman2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
    Re: RSD and weather changes

Yep! Weather plays a HUGE factor in it!!! Kinda like having arthritis, you know the weather is going to change before the weather man does! All I do is what I do every other day, pray and deal with it. Because I am so terrified of getting hooked on my pain meds, I only take them three times a day. I know if I needed to, I could take it more and days like the past two have been, the pills didn't even touch the pain!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
    snowman2
    (male)

I was in so much pain yesterday it was raining here pretty much all day , I was fine in the am went out with a friend for breakfast and the sun was out but as soon as it clouded up and started raining I couldn't even move I have a electric blanket so I wraps both feet and legs in that and medicate I only take nucynta 75 mg when I can't stand the pain keep in mind I'm still taking OxyContin 20mg and oxycodone 10 mg both 3 times a day as far as being addicted I am they are very addicting but it is one of the side affects to pain meds when I feel good I try to at least cut the oxycodone in half or even skip a dose it's there on my mind I know that there addicting and I accept it I don't like this part of the illness it really sucks if I miss a does because I was sleeping or forgot I'm like a junky needing my fix that's why I'm considering the intrthecal pain pump so I'm not on a clock all the time with pain meds snowman2

Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

My girlfriend who has RSD did the same thing. It was hard seeing her with it because she really walked around like a zombie. She had to start taking Ritalin to help her stay awake. All these things freak me out because I've watched my friend start out mild like how mine is to go to morphine pump, SCS, and all kinds of other drugs. I think I'm gonna keep trying to tough out as much of the pain as I can. It's getting harder, especially since it decided to take over my entire left side but I just cant bear the thought of living like a zombie. That's not a life! Pain isn't a life! Took a walk with my husband today. We try to do this at least once a week so I can try to keep from losing any more muscle in my leg than what I already have and to try to keep the joints from stiffening up (can we talk increase in pain if that happens!). We normally go one time around the small pond by our house then home. It was so beautiful today so I told my husband to go ahead and walk a second time around and we could walk slow so I could do it. Well, we made it around it twice but I have paid for it the rest of the day! But...at least I got to enjoy a beautiful afternoon and be around the water!

The following user gives a hug of support to jewlz67:
    snowman2 (05-29-2013)
    Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
    nwgrace40
    (female)

nwgrace40 HB User
    Thumbs down Re: RSD and weather changes

The weather changes are awful. I live in the South and when it's winter, I suffer from the cold. When it's Spring, I suffer from the rain and quick temperature changes. When it's Summer, I have noticed the humidity plays a huge part in my pain. Just can't seem to win with the weather. My husband and I are thinking I need to live in a bubble with perfect weather for the RSD (ha-ha). If it was not the weather affecting the RSD, it would be something else. I have also noticed any kind of vibration bothers me, loud music, crowds, emotions, sleep, I can "sense" people or things too close to me, lots of things. The more you are aware of your triggers, the better off you will be. However, that being said, I am still learning my triggers 3 years later....and I also seem to be more sensitive over time, maybe it has to do with the spread or my awareness....not sure. RSD stinks, doesn't it?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nwgrace40 View Post
    The weather changes are awful. I live in the South and when it's winter, I suffer from the cold. When it's Spring, I suffer from the rain and quick temperature changes. When it's Summer, I have noticed the humidity plays a huge part in my pain. Just can't seem to win with the weather. My husband and I are thinking I need to live in a bubble with perfect weather for the RSD (ha-ha). If it was not the weather affecting the RSD, it would be something else. I have also noticed any kind of vibration bothers me, loud music, crowds, emotions, sleep, I can "sense" people or things too close to me, lots of things. The more you are aware of your triggers, the better off you will be. However, that being said, I am still learning my triggers 3 years later....and I also seem to be more sensitive over time, maybe it has to do with the spread or my awareness....not sure. RSD stinks, doesn't it?
    Thank you for the information ya it all sounds to familiar to me all that you shared is what I go through and yes triggers are huge if one can be aware of triggers to can at least try to avoid them , and flareups are combined with these things that trigger my RSD to have these awful flareups on average for about 3 hours where I'm in such pain I can't even talk so being aware and living a garded life is what I do keep in touch and let me know how that plastic bubble works lol snowman2

Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
    SloRian
    (female)

SloRian HB UserSloRian HB UserSloRian HB UserSloRian HB User

It definitely affects it. My daughter and I were inside one morning, and her pain was worse. When we went outside, we saw storm clouds - that explained it! She always gets worse when there's a high pressure system.

The Following User Says Thank You to SloRian For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (06-16-2013)
    Old 06-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
    frenchfri1003
    (female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

i do feel that RDS is greatly affected by the weather. Any changes in pressure, humidity and temperature affect my foot adversely. I can have a major flare-up and have to take my shoe off or stop driving the pain and burning can get so bad. I also have neck and pain issues. My neck is also a strong indicator of weather changes. Everything swells and then there is no room for the nerves, therefore serious pain and at time difficulty focusing and blurry vision.

The following user gives a hug of support to frenchfri1003:
    snowman2 (06-28-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to frenchfri1003 For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (06-24-2013)
    Old 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
    i do feel that RDS is greatly affected by the weather. Any changes in pressure, humidity and temperature affect my foot adversely. I can have a major flare-up and have to take my shoe off or stop driving the pain and burning can get so bad. I also have neck and pain issues. My neck is also a strong indicator of weather changes. Everything swells and then there is no room for the nerves, therefore serious pain and at time difficulty focusing and blurry vision.
    What do you do for your flareups ? I take a need called nucynta that helps but most of the time I shut down from the pain and it can take hours for it to subside to my regular pain level that's always there

Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
    skooze48
    (female)

skooze48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
    What do you do for your flareups ? I take a need called nucynta that helps but most of the time I shut down from the pain and it can take hours for it to subside to my regular pain level that's always there
    Hi Snowman. I too shut down when I have a flare up. I have to lie down and on a moist heating pad with my feet elevated. The key is to do something when you start to notice one coming on, but usually it is too late. I too wish with today's technology that a plastic bubble was available. Lol, Do you take nucynta only for the flare ups, or is it part of your daily meds?

The following user gives a hug of support to skooze48:
    snowman2 (06-28-2013)
    Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skooze48 View Post
    Hi Snowman. I too shut down when I have a flare up. I have to lie down and on a moist heating pad with my feet elevated. The key is to do something when you start to notice one coming on, but usually it is too late. I too wish with today's technology that a plastic bubble was available. Lol, Do you take nucynta only for the flare ups, or is it part of your daily meds?
    Hi I take a lot of pain meds throughout the day but I just take nucynta when I feel that the RSD is going to take over witch seams like daily , I was doing nerve blocks alternating from right to left for the past couple years every 10 days but now I'm waiting for the SCS I just can't believe how bad this is I can barely do anything anymore or I suffer I used to go all day now I'm lucky to do a couple hours of things and even that isn't much I hope to keep in touch talk soon snowman2

The following user gives a hug of support to snowman2:
    jess731 (06-26-2013)
    Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
    This sounds like me , if I'm driving I have to pull over and wait I usually go to a gas station and eat something and have some coffee my foot gets ice cold on the rite side and my left foot is throbbing in pain and my vision is extremely blurry so it's hard to see or focus and then I'm in pain all over and shut down , I call those flareups but they really scare me

Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
    Linmarie
    (female)

Linmarie HB User
    Wink Re: RSD and weather changes

Wet weather bothers me, too. I just have to take it real easy and slow on those days. I haven't found anything that helps. Good luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linmarie For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (07-18-2013)
    Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linmarie View Post
    Wet weather bothers me, too. I just have to take it real easy and slow on those days. I haven't found anything that helps. Good luck to you.
    I would sure like to chat with you about rsd and what you do to feel good I've had it since 2011 and its been a big battle . It has spread to my other foot so now I have it in both feet and have become disabled from it . I used to own and run a construction business and go 24/7 now I can only do things for a few hours

Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
    surfgringo
    (male)

surfgringo HB User

i live in south FL,FBSS ,CRPS2 weather just kills me ...this year in june and july we are ONE FOOT above our normal rain.But i could have told you that without looking up records.Then today rain stops ,pure sunshine but HOT

The Following User Says Thank You to surfgringo For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (07-22-2013)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    pain, rsd, weather