It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• RSD and chronic pain syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
    snowman2
    (male)

snowman2 HB Usersnowman2 HB User
    RSD and chronic pain syndrome

Hello I've had RSD now for 2 years and now my doctors say I have unfortunately developed chronic pain syndrome and its to my understanding its creating more pain that is feeding on the pain that is a viscous cycle and very hard to break my question is does anyone have CPS on top of RSD for just when I thought this is enough there's more . And if so what are you doing to help yourself feel good

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
    hurting24
    (male)

hurting24 HB Userhurting24 HB User
    Re: RSD and chronic pain syndrome

It is called CRPS Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

The Following User Says Thank You to hurting24 For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (08-06-2013)
    Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hurting24 View Post
    It is called CRPS Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.
    Thank you for your opinion but its also called RSD witch I find easier to say but yes the new name is CRPS

Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
    painman2009
    Veteran
    (male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

Im confused?? you have had RSD for 2 years?? and now your dr says you have CRPS??? if the DR thinks its different get a new DR. this beast is called RSD/CRPS.
    some drs believe it has 2 stages while others 5, but our symptoms never follow what the drs use to categorizes us. It is hard to have this beast, and deal with with the ridicule and arrogance of others, we need not have it from our dr,s..Now RSD has gone by many names, CPSor (chronic pain syndrome) is another name for CRPS or (chronic regional pain syndrome) which is another name for RSD or RSDS. reflex sympathetic dystrophy, ..(syndrome) , used to be known as causalgia, neuropathy, also RND.. usually used s a diagnosis with children with RSD. I hope this helps ease the mind a bit. though I know it doesn't ease the pain.. god speed

The following user gives a hug of support to painman2009:
    Shelbie (08-07-2013)
    Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by painman2009 View Post
    Im confused?? you have had RSD for 2 years?? and now your dr says you have CRPS??? if the DR thinks its different get a new DR. this beast is called RSD/CRPS.
    some drs believe it has 2 stages while others 5, but our symptoms never follow what the drs use to categorizes us. It is hard to have this beast, and deal with with the ridicule and arrogance of others, we need not have it from our dr,s..Now RSD has gone by many names, CPSor (chronic pain syndrome) is another name for CRPS or (chronic regional pain syndrome) which is another name for RSD or RSDS. reflex sympathetic dystrophy, ..(syndrome) , used to be known as causalgia, neuropathy, also RND.. usually used s a diagnosis with children with RSD. I hope this helps ease the mind a bit. though I know it doesn't ease the pain.. god speed
    I started a thread that said I have RSD that has also turned into chronic pain syndrome there's nothing to be confused about , a member yesterday corrected me telling me not to refer to my illness as RSD but to call it CRPS that's it I responded with I can call it RSD if I want and that CRPS is the new name but there the same you can see his espouse on this thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

I think what Painman2009 is saying is that CPS is the same as RSD and is questioning why your doctor would put it as a separate diagnosis. Hurting24, I'm with Snowman2, it's just easier to say RSD rather than CRPS....just flows better. haha! Either way, this whole disease sucks! All we can do is try to keep our sense of humor about us...laughter is the best medicine, you know! I keep joking saying that I am going to "bling" my cane! You know, go buy some of those sparkle things and jewels that they spruce up cell phones with....and I named my cane...I call it Ilene. Yes, I do have a warped sense of humor but this disease will put you in the deepest, darkest depression if you let it! It is ranked one of the highest suicide diseases....so yes, I keep a sense of humor!!! We have two choices, let it depress you or keep fighting it and doing what we can to stay mobile and stay positive in spite of the pain! I chose the latter!!! I know those statements are off subject (consider it a freebie :-P). Seriously though, we are here to help each other and to offer support and try to answer questions for each other based on our own knowledge or experience. Hope this helps Snowman2!

The Following User Says Thank You to jewlz67 For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (08-09-2013)
    Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jewlz67 View Post
    I think what Painman2009 is saying is that CPS is the same as RSD and is questioning why your doctor would put it as a separate diagnosis. Hurting24, I'm with Snowman2, it's just easier to say RSD rather than CRPS....just flows better. haha! Either way, this whole disease sucks! All we can do is try to keep our sense of humor about us...laughter is the best medicine, you know! I keep joking saying that I am going to "bling" my cane! You know, go buy some of those sparkle things and jewels that they spruce up cell phones with....and I named my cane...I call it Ilene. Yes, I do have a warped sense of humor but this disease will put you in the deepest, darkest depression if you let it! It is ranked one of the highest suicide diseases....so yes, I keep a sense of humor!!! We have two choices, let it depress you or keep fighting it and doing what we can to stay mobile and stay positive in spite of the pain! I chose the latter!!! I know those statements are off subject (consider it a freebie :-P). Seriously though, we are here to help each other and to offer support and try to answer questions for each other based on our own knowledge or experience. Hope this helps Snowman2!
    When I google CPS or chronic pain syndrome it does not say its related in any way to CRPS or chronic regional pain syndrome it describes it as a separate entity ( pain feeding on pain)

Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
    painman2009
    Veteran
    (male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
    When I google CPS or chronic pain syndrome it does not say its related in any way to CRPS or chronic regional pain syndrome it describes it as a separate entity ( pain feeding on pain)
    Ok any pain that you have secondary to another painful disease or injury is " PAIN ON PAIN" also know as exacerbated pain. CPS is (chronic pain syndrome) crps is (chronic regional pain syndrome) RSD is reflex sympathetic dystrophy, and years ago it was called causalgia, and this dates back to pre-colonial times with phantom limb syndrome. it has had many names in the past and present and I doubt they wont stop there. Im not trying to upset you, actually quite the opposite, right now you are stressing that you have something different when in fact it is the same... Unless they me child protective services(CPS) current population servay.(cps)
    and dont laugh but when my orthopaedic first mentioned CRPS to me he said CPS and I thought he was nuts, I even made fun of him with the comment saying " you sure it isnt OCD) yeah when i found out what he meant I felt like a fool. but i learned early that this beast was know by many names.. I know they dont always connect the dots when you google but that just means the person writing about it isnt fully informed., and Im sure you have noticed . alot of ignorance around this beast, in fact too much.
    again Im not trying to upset you just trying to share knowledge I have accumulated through the years as are we all, I ld to think of you stressing out thinking you have 2 rare diseases.. and remember most doctors are ingmorant to the full scope as well. It falls to us to learn as much as we can and share with each other..
    Hoping you are well, blessed and finding your days with as little pain as possible

The Following User Says Thank You to painman2009 For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (08-08-2013)
    Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Ok any pain that you have secondary to another painful disease or injury is " PAIN ON PAIN" also know as exacerbated pain. CPS is (chronic pain syndrome) crps is (chronic regional pain syndrome) RSD is reflex sympathetic dystrophy, and years ago it was called causalgia, and this dates back to pre-colonial times with phantom limb syndrome. it has had many names in the past and present and I doubt they wont stop there. Im not trying to upset you, actually quite the opposite, right now you are stressing that you have something different when in fact it is the same... Unless they me child protective services(CPS) current population servay.(cps)
    and dont laugh but when my orthopaedic first mentioned CRPS to me he said CPS and I thought he was nuts, I even made fun of him with the comment saying " you sure it isnt OCD) yeah when i found out what he meant I felt like a fool. but i learned early that this beast was know by many names.. I know they dont always connect the dots when you google but that just means the person writing about it isnt fully informed., and Im sure you have noticed . alot of ignorance around this beast, in fact too much.
    again Im not trying to upset you just trying to share knowledge I have accumulated through the years as are we all, I ld to think of you stressing out thinking you have 2 rare diseases.. and remember most doctors are ingmorant to the full scope as well. It falls to us to learn as much as we can and share with each other..
    Hoping you are well, blessed and finding your days with as little pain as possible
    I'm just going by what my doctor said for he's trying to get me into a pain management program that costs about 35k before I do the SCS to get me in a better position to be a better candidate and have this work for I only have one chance at this working , he was saying that unfortunatly the CRPS has developed into chronic pai syndrome that is to my understanding similar but harder to get my nervs to calm down anyway maybe I'm thinking to much about it but the mayo is a good place and I do have to be able to trust someone . I just think that the doctor I see there is maybe trying to somehow explain this to my insurance company . So I guess I won't think I've developed a 2 nd illness but that there all related

Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Pain man I appreciate all input on this so I'm not offended and I have a lot of questions but 2 years into this I'm still learning and of course still struggling but I hope we can talk

Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
    kyparesia
    (female)

kyparesia HB User
    Thumbs up Re: RSD and chronic pain syndrome

I too have RSD. CRPS, or chronic regional pain syndrome, is the old name for RSD. They are one in the same. I use Neurontin 3 times a day and valium when it wakes me up EVERY night around 3 or 4 am. you might want to try an SSRI(anti depressant) also. I have had some success with stellate ganglion nerve blocks, my problem is in my arm and shoulder. they can block nerves all over if your pain is some where else!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyparesia View Post
    I too have RSD. CRPS, or chronic regional pain syndrome, is the old name for RSD. They are one in the same. I use Neurontin 3 times a day and valium when it wakes me up EVERY night around 3 or 4 am. you might want to try an SSRI(anti depressant) also. I have had some success with stellate ganglion nerve blocks, my problem is in my arm and shoulder. they can block nerves all over if your pain is some where else!
    I have RSD in both feet and I've tried all the anti depressants and have side affects with them all intact I think I've tried every pill out there lol but ya Valium is what I take in the middle of the night to go back to sleep otherwise I'm up all night

Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
    I have RSD in both feet and I've tried all the anti depressants and have side affects with them all intact I think I've tried every pill out there lol but ya Valium is what I take in the middle of the night to go back to sleep otherwise I'm up all night
    And I've had hundreds of ganglion nerve blocks but they don't work anymore they would do one side then next week the other side

Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
    kyparesia
    (female)

kyparesia HB User

Backwards....It used to be CRPS now the new term is RSD. It even has its own ICD code.
    Have you tried desensitizing therapy? Don't bother with the new topical creams. They are expensive and don't do squat except make your skin itch like hell.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
    kyparesia
    (female)

kyparesia HB User

Forgot to ask... what meds are they using in your blocks???

Closed Thread

Tags
    cps, flareups. fear, pain, rsd