It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

RSD and medication for the first time!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
texas4life53
(male)

texas4life53 HB User
RSD and medication for the first time!

Hello!

I just found out that I have RSD today and I was prescribed a medication that I am worry about taken! I would love some input on this medicine! It is call NORTRIPYLINE CAPSULES 25 MG.! I have read up on this and found out that it is a antidepressants with many side effects! How did this help you if it did with RSD?.My left leg has totally taken away my pleasure for life and I am in a need some relief! I had knee replacement surgery last March and every since then my leg has has been killing me more and more as the months has past by! So please help out with any information you can give me on this medicine! I am a 54 year old male!

Charles!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
jewlz67
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User
Re: RSD and medication for the first time!

Hi and welcome to the board. Well, I have never tried that medication but they do use antidepressants like Cymbalta to help for pain. Don't ask me how it helps but it does for some of us. What other medications do they have you on? I take Gabapentin (Neurontin) for the nerve pain and Oxycodone for pain. I cant say that the Oxycodone really helps me with the pain other than that it takes a bit of the edge off of it. I never really thought the Gabapentin worked for me until I missed a dose. Let's just say, I found out that I really need that for pain because the "electrical shocks" that went through my leg were horrible and it felt like I was walking through broken glass!!! This stupid disease can make you miserable but, as hard as it can be, just try to keep a positive attitude. Stress can make you have HORRIBLE flare ups so you want to keep that to a minimum (ha!). Probably the most important thing you can do for yourself is to keep moving! If you let the pain keep you from moving your limb, even if that moving means doing simple stretches, because if you don't do it, those muscles will stiffen up, they will begin to atrophy, and you will end up losing your mobility. Just do what you can without overdoing it! Remember, we are all here when you need it!

The Following User Says Thank You to jewlz67 For This Useful Post:
texas4life53 (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
texas4life53
(male)

texas4life53 HB User

Thanks for your support and reply! At this time I am also taken Tramadol 50mg and Hydro-APAP 5 -500mg. I had tried the gabapentin 100mg but I did not like the feeling it gave me so I stop it after a couple of weeks. I just did not feel like a human being if that make any sense! I wish I can go back in time and skip having my knee replacement since the pain before that was much less to handle then what I am going through now. I have 2 beautiful grandsons and it takes everything I have to enjoy them ! But I will use every ounce of energy that I have left to make them smile and have a good time with their grandpa! I guess I have to take this one day at a time but some days are longer then others! Anyway thanks again for your help and I hope you are having a better day then the last!

Charles

Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
cyndel
(female)

cyndel HB Usercyndel HB User

I also take Gabapentin and it does take a while to get used to and also to build up in your system enough to start working for you. I regularly take 2700 mg daily but add in 300-600 when I have a flare-up which does help calm it down. So sorry to see another new person with RSD on here! Mine started following my 2nd hip replacement and I too, would gladly go back to the beginning and skip the surgery. It wasn't near as much pain as RSD has been.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
jewlz67
(female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Like Cyndel just said, Gabapentin takes a while to build up in your system. I started out with just 300mg at night and I felt like a zombie. One of the nurses at that hospital I worked at told me I should try to take it earlier than what I was. Once I finally got used to that dosage without feeling like a zombie, my doctor increased it to 300mg am and pm. She has slowly increased it to the point that I take a total amount of 3200mg a day. A year ago, if you were to tell me that I would be taking that much of this medication, I would have laughed at you because I could barely function at 300mg! I'm like you, I want to enjoy time with my grandchildren. I hate that I can barely pick them up anymore! Now its, let me sit down and you can sit on my lap but watch this leg...etc. Again, one day at a time! Hope you have a good day with little pain!
Julie

Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Shelbie
Inactive
(female)

Shelbie HB UserShelbie HB UserShelbie HB User

Was put on Nortrip at bedtime and it kept me up all night. Didnt help at all with pain or depression. Stopped taking it and have tried Lunesta, Ambien but am very happy now with Trazadone. As happy as one can be going to bed. CRPS in both legs/feet , spreading to top of my arms. I hate bedtime cuz legs/feet touch bed & sheets. So much pain and little sleep makes my pain worse. All my brain can do is focus on the pain. Started from Total Knee Replacement.
Hope you have some good days.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Shelbie
Inactive
(female)

Shelbie HB UserShelbie HB UserShelbie HB User

Was put on Nortrip at bedtime and it kept me up all night. Didnt help at all with pain or depression. Stopped taking it and have tried Lunesta, Ambien but am very happy now with Trazadone. As happy as one can be going to bed. CRPS in both legs/feet , spreading to top of my arms. I hate bedtime cuz legs/feet touch bed & sheets. So much pain and little sleep makes my pain worse. All my brain can do is focus on the pain. Started from Total Knee Replacement.
Hope you have some good days.

Reply Reply

Tags
rsd help, rsd questions