It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Rsd and the risk of surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
    honeynbunz70
    (female)

honeynbunz70 HB User
    Exclamation Rsd and the risk of surgery

HI. HONEYNBUNZ70 HERE.
    I HAVE HAD RSD FOR ALMOST 14 YEARS NOW AND HAVE A QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT HAVING RSD OF THE ARM. I TORE MY ROTATOR CUFF HORRIBLY WITH YET ANOTHER FALL AND ALSO HAVE BONE SPURS THAT NEED TO BE REMOVED. I AM SO NERVOUS THAT BY HAVING SURGERY ON MY RIGHT ARM THAT IT IS GOING TO CAUSE ANOTHER RSD FLARE UP. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD TO HAVE SURGERY ON THEIR AFFECTED LIMBS???? PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES. I AM SCARED TO DEATH!
    THANK YOU....HONEYNBUNZ70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
    honeynbunz70
    (female)

honeynbunz70 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Rsd and the risk of surgery

Please! Does anyone have any advice? I meet with my general physician and my ortho at the end of the week and i am literally scared to death about surgery!!!! Can someone please give me a little comforting advice?
    Thank you so very much!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
    SweetPeainSF
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
    Re: Rsd and the risk of surgery

Hi there -- so sorry for your anxiety! Fortunately, I have not needed surgery since my diagnosis. My hip surgeon advised that he has another patient with CRPS and the surgeon has a sympathetic block administered prior to surgery.

Have you consulted with the doctor treating your CRPS? Also, have you talked to the anesthesiologist who would be present during the expected surgery?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

I was supposed to have surgery on my ankle, the same site where my RSD started. My pain management doctor and my orthopedic doctor worked together with this. My pain management doctor did a sympathetic lumbar nerve block for the lower limbs and then told my orthopedic doctor when the optimal time for doing the surgery would be as well as having him do a nerve block when doing the surgery. I just watched something last night that the doctor had said to let the anesthesiologist know that you have RSD and to use ketamine. Apparently that is what they prefer to use. Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay, just saw your post. Hopefully I'm not replying to late.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
    shequest
    (female)

shequest HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by honeynbunz70 View Post
    Please! Does anyone have any advice? I meet with my general physician and my ortho at the end of the week and i am literally scared to death about surgery!!!! Can someone please give me a little comforting advice?
    Thank you so very much!
    Hi, I have had RSD since 1987. Here is what worked for me with the many surgerys since. This is what I was told to do and it works. The surgeon must freeze, before every cut, the layers that he/she has to go through. If that doesn't happen then our brain registers the pain even though we are under general anesthetic. So it's a crap shoot, if they won't.
    I am not a Dr., and this is the proceedure that works for me.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
    Ravencody
    (female)

Ravencody HB User

Hi. I understand your concern. Depend ing on how bad your tear is, if it is tolerable or not I think is the issue. If you are in bad shape, I would take the chance of doing the surgery. You can always do an upper nerve block or bier block prior to the surgery, or part of the surgery to shut down the abnormal sympathetic firing.
    Another block you can do on your own, an anesthologist can teach you, is using 4 % liquid lidocaine and a 6 in 1 sided cutip, you go down the sinus cavity and let the lidocaine sit on the ganglion nerve bundle for 10 minutes prior to being put under for the surgery.
    I am facing possible surgery on a herniated disc in my neck and then my lumbar from a car accident being rear ended badly. I just had my RSD under control. Sure doesn't seem fair.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
    jewlz67
    (female)

jewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB Userjewlz67 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by honeynbunz70 View Post
    Thank you so very much!
    Hello Honeybunz, how did your doctor visit go? Did they decide if you should do surgery or not, and if so, what are they going to do to help with the RSD and not causing it to spread? Hope all is going well.
    Jewlz

Reply Reply

Tags
    rsd, rsd and answers, rsd awareness, rsd issues, rsd questions