It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

Surgery after RSD?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
ElizabethB
(female)

ElizabethB HB User
Surgery after RSD?

Hello all,

I had a bunionectomy on both feet about a year and a half ago. One foot left me with a neuroma near the incision that hurt to even barely touch (maybe this was a bit of RDS, but I never had the same symptoms, but the nerve always was super sensitive and so I had a nerve resection in October. After the nerve resection, I developed the real RSD and man did that hurt. It quickly faded though and I just have some sensitivity still in one area where that nerve used to be. It did actually work and that nerve doesn't really bother me anymore. Well, I really need the right side of my foot done as I have tailor's bunions as well that hurt bad all the time. I don't know why the doctor didn't do that surgery at the same time a year ago, but so I now need them done. How long should I wait to do it? I am on Gabapentin and doing PT for the atrophy in my ankle, but my pain is gone and has been gone. My foot is just a little sensitive where he cut the nerve, but its much better. My ankle is improving now that I know what happened. I developed drop foot and just didn't realize it and walking wrong start making my foot hurt. So, now I am making progress and doing exercises to get the strength back.

I really want to get the other side of my foot done in the next few months to finally put an end to my foot surgeries. The tailor's bunion is not anywhere near the old nerve that I had issues with or the area where the RSD was and there are virtually no symptoms left from the RSD. By the time I found out it was RSD, the RSD (burning and redness) was gone, I just was having foot pain due to walking funny and a new podiatrist told me that I had RSD. How long should I wait and do I have a big risk considering the reason I got RSD was due to the nerve surgery? No other surgeries caused any big issues and I have had a few on my feet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply