It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Ketamine and RSD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 AM   #1
    snowman2
    (male)

snowman2 HB Usersnowman2 HB User
    Smile Ketamine and RSD

Has anyone tried ketamine treatment and how is it working?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
    Wiired
    (male)

Wiired HB UserWiired HB User
    Re: Ketamine and RSD

I have only used Ketamine as a topical, it did seem to help a little, but the results wern't worth the expense for me. I have not tried IV Ketamine, my insurance won't cover it.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
    LovesTerriers
    (female)

LovesTerriers HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
    Has anyone tried ketamine treatment and how is it working?
    I have had 3 outpatient ketamine infusions, each time with increased dosage (now up to 400 mg), in addition to taking oral ketamine (also in increasing amounts, now up to 600 mg/day). I have had GREAT success with ketamine. My last infusion gave me 100% pain relief for one week and 80% pain relief for the following two days. It's been the best results I've had from any treatment (had 8 lumbar sympathetic blocks with the longest lasting 36 hours). With ketamine, it's like having my "old body" back. I CRPS II in my left foot, ankle, and knee and have had it spread to my back (from a pain doctor not giving enough numbing medication while doing a nerve block). My next step in treatment is going to an inpatient ketamine program where they will do a constant infusion of ketamine for 5 days straight. Then there will be follow-up boosters in order to maintain "remission". I know someone who has gone to the doctor who runs this program and she has been in remission for 5 years now. I am praying for the same .

The following user gives a hug of support to LovesTerriers:
    snowman2 (08-23-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to LovesTerriers For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (08-23-2014)
    Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
    Shelbie
    Inactive
    (female)

Shelbie HB UserShelbie HB UserShelbie HB User

5 years? Oh my, I can only hope. Im going to AZ to try their 10 outpatient program. It starts Sept 8th. Im in Ca but have family there so Im staying with them. I am so grateful to Freedom Pain Hospital. I pray this works, gives me back my life or at least calms my pain and anexiety for a while.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
    LovesTerriers
    (female)

LovesTerriers HB User

Shelbie,

I wish you the best at FPH's 10 day outpatient program. You'll have to keep me updated on how it goes! That's where I am going for my 5 day inpatient infusion. I chose the inpatient infusion vs. the outpatient infusion because of all of the reading and research I have done on ketamine. From what I have found, they say the inpatient program provides the longest lasting relief, because there is no "start/stop" of the ketamine. One of the pioneers of the ketamine infusion likened it to healing a broken bone. He said the ketamine was a like a splint that provided the time necessary for the brain to heal and "reboot". When you take the ketamine away (after the 5 day infusion) the brain has had the necessary time to heal.

However, I too have another doctor's studies on his 10 day outpatient program and he did have some successful results. I guess it all depends on the doctors and the person.

I truly hope you get relief. I've been in communication with the staff at FPH for a few months now (working with insurance and waiting for the next inpatient program to start) and they have been a DREAM to work with....always returning calls, answering emails, etc. Good luck on Sept.8th...I'll be praying for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to LovesTerriers For This Useful Post:
    snowman2 (08-29-2014)
    Old 08-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiired View Post
    I have only used Ketamine as a topical, it did seem to help a little, but the results wern't worth the expense for me. I have not tried IV Ketamine, my insurance won't cover it.
    Same with me my ins won't pay for it but they will pay for lumbar injections at 6 k a pop I was doing those every week for 9 months in hopes of being cured but it spread to my other foot and both legs and now next week I'm getting a scooter from my ins after a mobility test as I can only walk about 50 feet then I'm on severe pain I hope that when I get new ins that ill be able to try the ketamine infusion as I have heard good things from this I'm out of options

Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #7
    snowman2
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    5 years? Oh my, I can only hope. Im going to AZ to try their 10 outpatient program. It starts Sept 8th. Im in Ca but have family there so Im staying with them. I am so grateful to Freedom Pain Hospital. I pray this works, gives me back my life or at least calms my pain and anexiety for a while.
    I sure hope you can get into the program you want and be able to try the ketamine please keep us posted on how things are going I'm just starting the process I don't know where to go or who to talk to about this I guess ill ask my pain clinic but really it's going to be through people like you I know the feeling of every second the pain is there but I've learned to handle it except the flareups or when there's a storm or raining or humid out so doesn't leave much good time hope to here from you thank you snowman2

Closed Thread

Tags
    crps, pain, rsd