It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• My husband hates his job and it's becoming hard to deal with

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
    JD89
    (female)

JD89 HB User
    Unhappy My husband hates his job and it's becoming hard to deal with

Hello! My husband and I have been married 2 years. Before we were married we were long distance. I moved to his hometown so he could have the career he wanted. It was hard starting a new job and being in a place where I didn't know anyone. I've since made tons of friends and gotten involved in our church and love it. I didn't like my first job and my husband always said if I didn't like it do something about it. So I got a new job doing exactly what I want and I love it so much. My husband HATES his job. He constantly complains and it has effected our marriage a lot. We've even done counseling. He has zero optimism or positivity in anything. I'm always empathetic and listen when he needs an ear but it's so hard being around the negativity and it being able to enjoy our life together outside of work. Even his coworker tells him if he has that many complaints to set up a meeting with his boss to discuss it. He refuses to talk to his boss about these things. He's been there 2 years and never been given a raise and refuses to ask for one even though he absolutely deserves it. He's ready to find a new job and move somewhere else. I've been at my job 3 months and have no desire to leave anytime soon. He went on a fishing trip for a week to get a way and I was hoping he'd come back and feel a little better but nope. Not one shred of positivity. Nothing seems to help and I'm
    Worried about him and I also feel like his career and happiness are all that matter. I don't want to live our lives hopping around from
    Place to place just because he can't find happiness where he's at. And just for some background he is a sports reporter for a major university. He just doesn't like the way his coworkers handle things and the lack of communication is insane. He gets easily frustrated and doesn't know how to handle
    Stress and chooses to do his best to avoid his coworkers. I don't know what to do anymore because nothing seems good enough and we can't just run away. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: My husband hates his job and it's becoming hard to deal with

I doubt it's just the job. I'm getting the feeling he would be negative about anything and everything. I know people like this, I'm involved with a guy like this. Nothing will make them happy, they are always complaining, playing the victim, blah blah blah.....even if he retired, he'd find something to complain about. You've only got 2 years in, I'd rethink this marriage....

Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
    JD89
    (female)

JD89 HB User

He was not this way until his job started getting stressful about a year ago. We've been together almost 6 years. He is not himself at all. I have no desire to rethink my marriage with him. I just want him to be happy and to learn how to manage his stress and frustration.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

encourage him to find a new job, he doesn't have to find one that makes you pickup roots and move.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Why does he have to move away to be a sports reporter? There are local magazines/ papers and radio stations in every city which hire sports reporters.
    Suggest he put some feelers out for a new job in the area.
    If he makes you move because he is unhappy, this is setting up a pattern which I fear will have you moving every other year...not healthy for either of you.

Reply Reply

Tags
    careers, marriage, relationship advice