It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

Would you keep this friend?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2004, 12:40 AM   #1
smushyj37

smushyj37 HB User
Would you keep this friend?

I had a girl friend that we have been friends for over 14 years. In the past 5 years her husband and her started using pot and even tried to get me and my now husband to try it a few years ago. 3 months ago I got together with her to go shopping and for lunch, we had my 5 month old baby with us. She asked me to take her to her brothers place for a minute. When she got back into the car and we started off to gofor lunch, she pulled out this package of pot and was quite proud of not only the large quantity, but the fact that she had got this for her father in-law and got some free stuff too. I wanted the stuff out of my car and away from my baby so agreed to drive her to her father in-laws house to drop it off. When I got home after our time out, I was talking to my husband and the seriousness of what happened started to sink in about the danger she placed me and my baby in and the possibility of having our baby taken away from us because of her actions. Not to mention the fact that she knows I don't agree with her using the stuff and don't want to be around it. I was suppose to help her move a month later, but just didn't show up. A part of me feels guilty for not following through with my commitment, but I don't want anything to do with someone who would put me and my child in danger. Do you think I've over reacted? My husband thinks I've the done right thing cutting all ties...but I wonder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
cloverberry

cloverberry HB User
Re: Would you keep this friend?

I think you did the right thing. Don't feel guilty. You're probably the only one left that would have anything to do with her because of the drugs. If she trys to get you to do anything for her just be firm and tell her no and say it's because of the drugs. Don't let her manipulate you into feeling guilty.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
cee27
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User

don't feel guilty...i smoke pot and i would never put a friend of mines in a sitituation like that..You should tell her why you're cutting off the friendship..AND THAT'S IT!

Old 01-03-2004, 07:06 AM   #4
Want 2 B Well
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User

The bottom line is do you want to take the risk? Sounds like it was the right thing for you. Don't sweat it too much!
Quit smoking June 3 2003
Will be 39 in Feb.
Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
smushyj37

smushyj37 HB User

Thank you for your responses it really helps to reconfirm that I made the right decision. I guess the quality of a friend is more important then the lenght of a friendship......and my family is precious to me.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
GertieMae
Inactive

GertieMae HB User

Kudos to you...thumbs up..Im happy and proud that you handled this in a mature responsible manner.

She is NO friend at all placing you and your Baby in this situation.My gosh how would it have looked or what would of happend if you had been stopped or got in a road block with that crap on you!

And YES you were RIGHT...they would have taken your Baby away!!

You deserve drug-free friends..It sounds to me your"friend"hasnt grown up yet.What is your plans though when she keeps coming around or calling and your never there...

I would think you need to be firm in telling her to buzz off,but then again if she is on drugs she might make it harder for you OR start telling lies that will hurt you and your Husband..in the sense of taking your baby away until its proven you dont use Drugs.

You sound like a loving,caring Mommy with a mature/strong head on your shoulders.

All the best

Old 01-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
JavaKitti

JavaKitti HB User

I agree with your choice to end the friendship. A True friend would never put your child or yourself in jeopardy!! BUT, I have to comment on the fact they smoke pot. I know alot of people who smoke, and I'm talking about CEO's, lawyers, and professional people! These people are not lazy, are well respected, and RESPONSIBLE!! I in no way condone the use of hard drugs!! But I think too many people see marijuana users (recreation/ or pain relief) as bums, gangsters, rednecks etc. and it is not true.

Old 01-03-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Darci

Darci HB User

your right, your family comes first. She isn't much of a friend if she puts you at risk. sounds like my situation with my old friend. her husband grew pot in her houses' closet. I am glad that she divorced him. but it took her 2 affairs of his, to do it. she now lives in Alaska and is happier than I've ever seen her.
its a hard situation. Just remember the old saying. Quality is better than Quanity. She had been my friend for 20 years, I am 33 years old and she is still my best friend because of her choice to take care of her children above her greedy hand to the money that came in.
Darci

Closed Thread