It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Normal to call every day?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
    Horsegrl07

Horsegrl07 HB User
    Question Normal to call every day?

Just wondering, is it normal to want to talk on the phone every night? We've been dating for about 3 months, and even though I would like to talk to him I don't want to be annoying. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
    brockbabe
    (female)

brockbabe HB User
    Re: Normal to call every day?

Absolutely. It is completely normal to want to talk to him every night! The relationship is still young and new. As long as he feels the same way, and doesn't feel smothered by all of the attention, you're in the clear. Once in a while, let him call YOU though

Old 04-05-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
    Horsegrl07

Horsegrl07 HB User

thanks for your reply. He does call me. He works late, 3-11, so I just text on the cell phone to call me when he gets a chance. I just don't want to be overbearing

Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

When my husband and I first started dating we were on the phone for hours every night. That has lasted well into our marriage. Any time away and we are on the phone together.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Even after 9 years of marriage anytime we are apart he will call me every day sometimes two or three times. He called twice today and I talked to him twice online today. Even when he home I can expect at least one call or test message from him while he is at work. I know a couple other guys in the shop with DH who are the same way. So yes it can be normal no matter the age of the relationship.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 04-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Its true to the above post. Talking on the phone everynight is perfectly ok. I talk on the 2-3 times a day with my GF and thats when I still see her that day. I can't imagine ever getting sick of her and the phone will not ruin that.

I believe the phone is a good source to get to know each other better. In some relationship its hard to ask question bluntly without feeling stupid. In a new relationship this happens alot. When talking on the phone one can feel more confident and ask those question.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #7
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User

Some people are more chatty on the phone than others. My boyfriend and I talk every night before going to bed regardless of how much we've spoken or seen each other during the day. However, our conversations are usually quite quick, 2 or 3 minutes just to say goodnight.
    Some men don't like using the phone all that much. Take your cue from him. If he's not a phone person, don't pressure him, he'll feel suffocated. If however he feels the same way you do, then there's definitely nothing wrong with wanting to speak every night.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ana_24
    Some people are more chatty on the phone than others. My boyfriend and I talk every night before going to bed regardless of how much we've spoken or seen each other during the day. However, our conversations are usually quite quick, 2 or 3 minutes just to say goodnight.
    Some men don't like using the phone all that much. Take your cue from him. If he's not a phone person, don't pressure him, he'll feel suffocated. If however he feels the same way you do, then there's definitely nothing wrong with wanting to speak every night.
    Even though me and my GF chat on the 2-3 times a day I will admit we are not very talkative. I like being on the phone with her though because her presence feels that much closer to me. We don't complain that we don't talk a lot but sometimes its odd lol

Anyways, its like you said it all depends on the person.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
    ana_24

ana_24 HB User

I've been there too My boyfriend will sometimes call me from work, put me on speaker phone and we'll keep each other company even though there are times when we don't say much and just go about our business. Weird I know

Old 04-06-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ana_24
    I've been there too My boyfriend will sometimes call me from work, put me on speaker phone and we'll keep each other company even though there are times when we don't say much and just go about our business. Weird I know

Its not wierd...lol its actually normal. I know many couples that are the same.

Different people have different ways of doing stuff and even though we are not talking I still want to be on the phone with her.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #11
    newlywedgurl
    Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

You guys are nuts! Just kidding!!! LOL

Dh and I BOTH hate the phone. It rings constantly at both of our jobs...and generally once we get home, we rarely answer the phone. I am the one that is more guilty than he is about it. I'll let it ring off the hook and have it within reach. I never used to be like that, but being a social worker certainly broke me from answering the phone....sometimes that was the only way I could get any work done!!!

Old 04-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newlywedgurl
    You guys are nuts! Just kidding!!! LOL

Dh and I BOTH hate the phone. It rings constantly at both of our jobs...and generally once we get home, we rarely answer the phone. I am the one that is more guilty than he is about it. I'll let it ring off the hook and have it within reach. I never used to be like that, but being a social worker certainly broke me from answering the phone....sometimes that was the only way I could get any work done!!!
    Well at my job I am in a contact center where I get phone call all day...uhhhhh I still don't mind still answering the phone at home though.

I have one question for you though...Do both talk on the phone to each other when not around?

Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #13
    newlywedgurl
    Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightball61
    Well at my job I am in a contact center where I get phone call all day...uhhhhh I still don't mind still answering the phone at home though.

I have one question for you though...Do both talk on the phone to each other when not around?
    There have only been a couple times that he has been out of town since we've been together. Back in Feb. he had to fly out to AZ for his grandfather's funeral. He was only gone for 3 days, but called at night to say he loved me and tell me goodnight. We didn't stay on the phone long at all, but that didnt bother me. I knew we would catch up when he got home. He finally got home at like 4 a.m. on Valentines Day. I napped when I got home from work the day before so that I could wait up until he got home! But I don't get all icky if I don't talk to him 10 times a day if that's what you mean. I mean it. I REALLY, REALLY hate the phone.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #14
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newlywedgurl
    There have only been a couple times that he has been out of town since we've been together. Back in Feb. he had to fly out to AZ for his grandfather's funeral. He was only gone for 3 days, but called at night to say he loved me and tell me goodnight. We didn't stay on the phone long at all, but that didnt bother me. I knew we would catch up when he got home. He finally got home at like 4 a.m. on Valentines Day. I napped when I got home from work the day before so that I could wait up until he got home! But I don't get all icky if I don't talk to him 10 times a day if that's what you mean. I mean it. I REALLY, REALLY hate the phone.

Sorry If I was being nosie but I just wanted to know question.

Some people would get icky in that position and some won't. I know I would get icky but I thinks thats just because I am only about 7 months in a relationship. I can understand if I was married for several years.

Do you think that there may be an issue built behind to someone that has to talk on the phone alot vs. someone that doesn't? To give you better insight do you thing its a feeling of security vs. insecurity.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #15
    newlywedgurl
    Inactive

newlywedgurl HB User

Quote:
    Do you think that there may be an issue built behind to someone that has to talk on the phone alot vs. someone that doesn't? To give you better insight do you thing its a feeling of security vs. insecurity.
    Yes I do. But I also doubt that talking on the phone 15 times a day with someone will do much for that insecurity. It might temporarily make you feel better, but not long term. My ex used to call me constantly. It drove me CRAZY!! I would end up being mean to him! Like "What do you want? Are you inhaling? Taking a ******?! OK, well that's great that you saw a pretty doggie in the back of a truck. But stop calling me today. No more!!" (I have a problem with biting sarcasm )

There are some people (such as my ex ^^^) that it just does not matter how much you reassure them....it's never enough. And for someone who does NOT need that much reassurance, it is sooooo easy to lose your patience with the other person. And I did. A lot. My Dh is not like that at all. He is very considerate, don't get me wrong, but he is not (usually) emotionally needy or clingy--we all have our days. And I love that about him!

Quote:
    Some people would get icky in that position and some won't. I know I would get icky but I thinks thats just because I am only about 7 months in a relationship. I can understand if I was married for several years.
    Eightball, just wanted to point out that I have NOT been married for several years! I got married in December. We have been together just less than a year (I guess around 9 months total). So I don't think it has anything to do with how long you are with someone. I was with my ex for 2 and 1/2 years! And he still called me. All. The. Time. Ugh!!

Closed Thread