It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Sister-in-law, slaps my brother in Face.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User
    Thumbs down Sister-in-law, slaps my brother in Face.

On a recent visit out of state visiting my mother. Our last night she cooked a wonderful Italian meal, my brother, sister-in-law, their two young girls, my boyfriend and my teenager son were sitting down to eat. I was fishing for my camera so I could take some pictures. When out of the blue – my sister-in-law SLAPPED my brother in the face.

Everyone’s jaw dropped. No one said anything but “me”…. I’m standing there with camera in hand, spoke up and said OH MY GOD; I can’t believe you just did that. I repeated it several times and then mumbled if I did that to my boyfriend he would be on the next exit out of state.

My psycho sister-in-law giggles and says, he (brother) had a bug on his face. My brother gave her a dirty look, and didn’t want to be touched by her as she was making excuses why she slapped him (hard) in the face as she was “then” rubbing his face.

This isn’t the first time this was witnessed by my boyfriend, the second for him. The first time was at my house several years ago when I had a family reunion, but I missed it as I was inside my house and they were outside playing cards. My sister-in-law was in the house putting the babies down for the night when she walked outside, straight for my brother and slapped him (hard) in the face. I had heard about it but didn’t say or do anything. Nobody did or say anything because; my brother is old enough and tough enough to know better. I have always been close with this brother till he married this girl. She and I have had issues, but I always backed down because of my brother. Nothing would give me more pleasure then to tell the ***** off. I stop myself because of my relationship with my brother. As it stands now, she doesn’t speak to me other then hello because she is afraid of me.

I’m having a field day with this slapping thing – I can’t believe my brother would allow her to do that to him. Bug or No bug, you don’t Hard Slap someone especially your S/O like that and IN FRONT of family….and on top of that…I’m teaching my son not to ever hit woman and never be HIT by them either….

So my fellow friends, what would be a tactful thing to say the next time I speak with her or visit again?
    Oh, after the slapping event, I went on snapped my pictures with my family and when it came time to snap a shot at the lovely couple, I did sarcasticly make a remark as they were posing for the camera – “OK, husband beater lets get a shot of the two of you” nothing was said or anything arguments after my remark. And the dang picture came out perfect with her smiling. As much as it sounds funny, I still didn’t find any humor for her slapping my brother in the face.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
    jenna1

jenna1 HB User
    Re: Sister-in-law, slaps my brother in Face.

Have you had a talk with your brother about your sister n laws actions? I don't think there's any excuse to slap a love one in the face, especially over a bug, and to think she sat there so smug...Maybe if it happens the next time you should tell her that her actions are uncalled for and that there are more appropriate ways of communicating than putting your hands on someone.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Girlharley,
    What a [email protected]&%! I can't believe she did it in front of your family! Do you have a good relationship with your brother? Good enough to talk to him about what happened?
    If it were me, the next time I saw her I would tell her that if she ever does that to him in front of you again, you will knock her into next week!!!!!! (That's my Italian temper talking!) But she had alot of nerve to do that in front of EVERYONE!
    The unfortunate thing is that there isn't much you can do. If she acts like this and your brother tolerates it, well then it's his fault for allowing that kind of behaviour.
    I would just make it clear to her that you didn't appreciate seeing it and that you would rather she beat him when they're alone in their own home. I would also talk to your brother.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

The first thing that Goody thought of when reading your post is..." I can only imagine what she does to him when nobody is around." I'm sorry, GH, but this woman has no right to do that to your brother. Bugs or no bugs, she shouldn't lay a hand on him. By what you describe in your brother's reaction, he may very well be being abused by her. It does happen, society is so conditioned to think that a man could never be abused but it does happen. I don't know how close you are to your brother but perhaps you can have a talk with him....unfortunately he may fall into the victims reaction of denial and protectiveness and of not appearing to be a weak man in admitting that such a thing is occurring. But as hs sister you can voice your concern & let him know that it is something that happens to men and you care about him and are there to support him if he should need.

Wow...how sad. And I wonder what the kids must think of their mom slapping dad around???? I know that you will do whatever it takes for the ones you love & I think this is one of those opportunities....Goody

Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
    here4support
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

here4support HB User
    Talking Re: Sister-in-law, slaps my brother in Face.

A bug? You have got to be kidding me! What a loser she is! I can't believe she did that! She isn't setting a very good example for others!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

Thanks

I "used" to be able to talk to my brother about anything till he met this 'girl'.
    I almost got myself quicked out of the wedding because while drunk at their Jack & Jill party I did express myself regarding my feelings for her. I was told by my brother, don't let him choose between me or her. Of course I understood - but my instincts on this girl was true and I just couldn't connect with her.

I don't see my brother getting abused by her. But this slapping thing to get a reaction from me or my family to "maybe" start a family fued. Because even though they are not the perfect couple, he stands by her. I spoke with him the other day, after my return trip - grrrr, I really really wanted to mention how I felt about HER slapping him in the face, I thougth it was not only wrong - but the message it's sending to HIS children and my son.

I just didn't know how to bring it up in our phone conversation. My sisters are too ****** when I told them what happened, my nieces are not thrilled and my boyfriend is still amazed that my brother allowed that to happen.
    He said he lost respect for my brother as a man. I could NEVER dream of doing that to my boyfriend...OMG and if I did it in front of his family, they wouldn't think twice about throwing my sorry butt to the curb...

How can I bring it up to my brother without him taking HER side or at least to make him realize that is not acccepable....

Old 04-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GirlHarley
    How can I bring it up to my brother without him taking HER side or at least to make him realize that is not acccepable....
    That's the "million dollar" question here. If it were my brother, and Goody has two, I would mention how the slap is still fresh in your mind and is bothering you and how humiliating it must have made him feel. but most importantly as your son's mother and the aunt of his children you though you had to bring up the fact of how it is not right for children to be subjected to any acts of violence within the home and how he might handle this to prevent it from being a future occurrence. Always start off with how much you love & care for him. My two brothers are protective of their wives like two vipers....even though they use to and continue to be that way for their big sis But....no matter how much they love me I can never compete with the wives And my youngest brother has given me 3 opportunities

You'll do okay, GH.....I know that you will do the right thing. But do realize that the only one who can truly change the situation is your brother....but bringing up the kids and their best interest is a good tool to use. For as a father he will be able to see things more clearly......Goody

Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #8
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

Thanks GOODY

You so understand where I'm coming from with my brother and my relationship with him....He's pretty much knows my feelings towards his wife but we don't talk about it....IT would lead to a big blow out and we (he & I) would never speak again.....

I like how you presented it in your posting - WHICH is all true....
    The fact of the matter is, I don't like seeing anyone getting slap - but I sure would love to slap my sister-in-law, opps there was a fly in your hair.

Yeah, I didn't think it was COOL with my cute little nieces thinking it's OK to slap a boy/man/male....I already spoke about this with my son how uncool it is for a female slapping a male or any hitting for that matter.....Then, he sees this from my own family...Grrrrr, at least HE too knows what a physco woman she is.....

I asked my mother WHY she didn't say anything....She said, don't worry Girlharley - her day will come, I'm keeping this on the backburner for the right moment...That's the Italian in her. I so wished my mother said something when it happened because THEN I would have jumped all over it.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
    Hoop
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

I am here in defense of the bug. The poor thang. It didn’t hurt anyone.

Seriously, if she does this so casually in front of your whole family, there is little doubt that she slaps the crap out of him when no one else is watching. I am certain this isn’t the second time she has done it.

You can talk to your brother about this, but if there is a chance he will stand by his wife’s side you may need to take another approach. If you say you don’t see your brother being abused by his wife then you should just let that go. It is something between them that they need to take care of themselves. As much as you would like to keep it from happening in front of the kids, there is only so much you can do about that unless you want to report it as a domestic violence abuse.

One thing you can do is talk to the sister in law and tell her that you and the rest of the family won’t stand to have her behave in such a rude manner in front of the whole family. If it happens again, tell her that appropriate actions will be taken to see that it gets corrected. What she did was unacceptable to everyone that saw it and she need to realize this.

The problem really is,... your brother just needs to stand up for himself. You can't do it for him big sis.

Did you or anyone else really see a bug on his face or was that just a spontaneous excuse on her part?

Maybe you can convince your brother that your sister in law has a bug on her face…heh .. heh ..heh… let’s she how she likes it.

HOOP!

Old 04-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GirlHarley
    I asked my mother WHY she didn't say anything....She said, don't worry Girlharley - her day will come, I'm keeping this on the backburner for the right moment...That's the Italian in her. I so wished my mother said something when it happened because THEN I would have jumped all over it.
    Your mom was smart in knowing that....imagine what all the kids would have experienced seeing you jump across the table doing what you would've liked to do to your SIL I know as much as you would have liked to you wouldn't have acted on it, but the verbal altercations alone would have created a volatile atmophere. So your mom was wise as the matriarch in holding her tongue because things most likely would have turned ugly The slap was bad enough but an entire family at war would've been worse. Sometimes learning to hold our tongues is for the best. Remember, Children Learn What They Live.....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-08-2005 at 11:20 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

Hello HOOP, nice to see you around...MISS YOU

I didn't see any bug, but I think the next time I visit them, I'm bringing My Own Bug along, place it on her face and give her a Slap...Opps

She bugs the crap out of me....

As for my brother, he's Cool, he knows how to old his own. I can't imagine him getting abused by this little munchin. Really...
    He takes Boxing, works out, jogs and shoots hoop with an over 40 crowd.
    He's done well for himself - Beautiful Home, sister-in-law doesn't have to work and a maid service come over every week to clean the house. She gets to live a good life....Yikes, do I sound jealous? really I am not...

Her slapping has just given me something more to complain about and to have a legitmate reason to really Dislike Her and to kick her butt - LOL

Old 04-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
    PeggyHarmon

PeggyHarmon HB User

Hey Girl Harley, long time :-) nice to see you posting. Wow!!! Thats something....I once witnessed my sister slap her husband. Yes, we'd all been partying, little drunk, and he mouthed off at the wrong moment. It shocked me.!!! I took his side, I mean she was in the wrong. However, later I did go to her and tell her that behavior was alittle uncalled for and that she needed to be more respectful of him and his feelings. Especially humilating him in front of us. So your SIL might need to be told first that she's not respecting of HIM, or the family. That's a private matter and she needs to learn to exibit appropriate behavior. Now, if you don't care for her, your brother will soon know you were right all along, and come to you for advice. Let him know you are always there for him... He might behind closed doors aired her out about this incident.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
    SophiaM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SophiaM HB User

Wow, that is quite a story GirlHarley! I can't believe your brother just took it. Do you suspect they might have some weird S&M thing going on? I mean, if a macho guy lets a woman slap him, in front of his family no less, maybe there's a part of him that likes to be dominated? I don't really know what to say--obviously he's an adult man and can defend himself but chooses not to. This really puzzles me.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
    Hoop
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SophiaM
    Wow, that is quite a story GirlHarley! I can't believe your brother just took it. Do you suspect they might have some weird S&M thing going on? I mean, if a macho guy lets a woman slap him, in front of his family no less, maybe there's a part of him that likes to be dominated? I don't really know what to say--obviously he's an adult man and can defend himself but chooses not to. This really puzzles me.

LOL ..... put the kids to bed and break out the leathers, whips and chains. Don't give the sister in law any new ideas Sophia.

What really scares me is the part where GirlHarley says her brother "Shoots Hoops" What did I ever do to him? LOL

HOOP! ( Is still alive.... but looking over his shoulder more often now) LOL

Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Oh, Hoop - I'm laughing so hard at your last response! I just love you to pieces and my husband doesn't even mind. (No bugs here)

Closed Thread