It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Can't hold a conversation with women

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
    Morboro
    (male)

Morboro HB User
    Can't hold a conversation with women

Hi

Ok I'm a 21yo male and I've never had a proper relationship with a female before. I've had mere sexual relations with a couple of females but I would like something more than that. I should consider myself lucky.

The thing is I can't seem to hold a conversation with a woman, I just don't know what to talk about. I can talk to males fine becuase I like talking about 'male' things like cars, computers, history, politics and sports. A lot of those topics really don't interest most females. From my understanding women like to talk about celebrity and relationship stuff which I find boring.

I just don't know what to do, this might sound silly but what do girls like to talk about?

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
    Ninispjc
    Inactive

Ninispjc HB User
    Re: Can't hold a conversation with women

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morboro
    Hi

Ok I'm a 21yo male and I've never had a proper relationship with a female before. I've had mere sexual relations with a couple of females but I would like something more than that. I should consider myself lucky.

The thing is I can't seem to hold a conversation with a woman, I just don't know what to talk about. I can talk to males fine becuase I like talking about 'male' things like cars, computers, history, politics and sports. A lot of those topics really don't interest most females. From my understanding women like to talk about celebrity and relationship stuff which I find boring.

I just don't know what to do, this might sound silly but what do girls like to talk about?

Thank You
    Well, I don't know if this will help, but there is someone out there with interests similar to your own. I would advise you find a woman who likes at least some of the things you do. There are women who like sports, history and politics. If you want a real relationship with a real girlfriend, she is going to have to be someone you can relate to, understand and care about on a level much deeper than just how hot she is. Many married men would say their wife is their best friend.

Every woman is different, so there is no set list of topics women like to talk about. I am fairly politically aware and don't mind discussing it, I love music and love to talk about my favorite groups and whatnot. I'm a real big movie-aholic as well and can talk for days about movies. My boss is also a movie nut, and a man, and we have lots of long conversations about movies. Not just the stars of these movies, but the movies themselves.

Keep searching. If you are open to women as people and treat them like individual people, you will find a woman you don't consider boring and who shares your interests.

Last edited by Ninispjc; 04-10-2005 at 04:48 AM.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
    Snails
    Senior Veteran

Snails HB UserSnails HB User

If it helps at all, I'm a girl and my three favorite topics of conversation are history, politics, and sports. I couldn't care less about the entertainment industry, celebrities, beauty/fashion, and most other typically feminine interests. Just be yourself and don't try to put on an act like you're someone different just to impress a girl, because she'll end up liking the person you're pretending to be rather than your true self. If you believe that you're a great catch, with lots of interesting ideas and interests, this quiet confidence will shine through and you will start to attract women (we are out there!) who are compatible with your personality. Hang in there...while a lot of women, especially young women, have what guys, and I, perceive as trivial, vapid interests, there are some out there that you'll really like, and women do mature and become interested in more significant topics as they get older and are less concerned with acting just like every other girl.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
    Morboro
    (male)

Morboro HB User

Many thanks for the advice

Old 04-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

You sound absolutely like a normal guy to me Morboro!

Women didn't used to demand such emotional content from men. It's not entirely natural for you to discuss "feelings".
    One thing you CAN do is learn to ask good questions and become a really good listener. Most women will appreciate a guy who listens and asks a few good questions more than you guys realize!

(And, it honestly gets easier the older you get)

Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
    jas2001
    (female)

jas2001 HB User

I agree with Snails. Not all girls are into or obsessed with talking about makeup, fashion, celebrities, etc. I am a 22 year old female, and my friends and I mainly talk about what is going on in our lives, classes, etc, and there's only sometimes the occasional, "oh I like your purse" type talk. :-)

I used to be very uncomfortable talking to the opposite sex, but I learned that the best way to get to know someone, male or female, is to ask them questions about their interests and find what you have in common. Most women LOVE being listened to once someone shows a genuine interest in them.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

I have never dated a guy and discussed celebrities, make up, fashion ect.. Thats really girl talk and I would think most women would not want to bore a guy with that kind of talk. I think talking about maybe big news events or just things in your everyday lives is good.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
    FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit HB User

Dear Morboro, you just need to find a common ground thats all try asking her some questions like where she grew up or what school she went to maybe you could start the convo that way, she will ad to it trust me you just need yo break the ice. you will be fine its tuff to get started is all... You can practice on me if like for reference sake I am 22yrs old what would you usually say first think about it ????

Old 04-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User

Morboro, dont' make the mistake of assuming that just because she is a girl she is not interested in "man subjects" My whole life I always had more male friends than female friends because I lvoed to talk about sports and things like that. I don't care what Britnay Spears is wearing, or wheter Brad and Jen are going to Paris or whatever. I dont' care about high fashion, or any of that junk. I think what you should do is try to strike up a convo revolving around a recent news topic, like a big wreck on the interstate, something like that, or a big play in a football game, or the baseball game that went into extra innings, something like that. If she is the kind of person you would be interested in, she will talk back. I know that sounds like I am oversimplgying it, but it really is that easy. I think that if you try to talk to her about fashion or somethign like that, I personally, would feel as if you were "dumbing down" the convo for me.
    Good luck!

Closed Thread