It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Spending WAY too much time together.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
    justcurious827
    (female)

justcurious827 HB User
    Lightbulb Spending WAY too much time together.

So does absence make the heart grow fonder, or is it out of sight out of mind?

My boyfriend and I brokeup for about 2 days a month ago. During that time he realized he missed me way too much- and I him. We both agreed we spent way too much time together. I'm talking just about everyday with sleepovers. Anyway, I'm finding us in the same situation now.

So now I want your input. How important is it for new relationships to have that quality time AWAY from eachother? Giving an opportunity to miss one another and truly appreciate what you have got.

Also, how do I spend less time with him without making it weird or suspicious? Although, I love spending time with him I do think that it's better for the relationship that we go from 6-7 days a week, to say 4-5, maybe 3-4.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
    Lover's Mirage
    Inactive

Lover's Mirage HB User
    Re: Spending WAY too much time together.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justcurious827
    So does absence make the heart grow fonder, or is it out of sight out of mind?

My boyfriend and I brokeup for about 2 days a month ago. During that time he realized he missed me way too much- and I him. We both agreed we spent way too much time together. I'm talking just about everyday with sleepovers. Anyway, I'm finding us in the same situation now.

So now I want your input. How important is it for new relationships to have that quality time AWAY from eachother? Giving an opportunity to miss one another and truly appreciate what you have got.

Also, how do I spend less time with him without making it weird or suspicious? Although, I love spending time with him I do think that it's better for the relationship that we go from 6-7 days a week, to say 4-5, maybe 3-4.

Thanks!
    I believe absence DOES make the heart grow fonder. My ex and I revolved our lives around each other (practically) which ultimately killed us I think . I miss him terribly and wish things would of been different. Anyway,if you feel crowded take the time to tell him that you need some free time. If he truely understands and trusts you, things will be ok with. It is difficult sometimes to get a good balancing going with couple time and alone time. I think if you two have good communication discussing this shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
    lisa24
    Inactive
    (female)

lisa24 HB User

Definitely, I think time apart is SO important in a relationship. Especially in the early stages, but even thru any length of time.
    I had a relationship a while back that got messed up because of spending too much time together.
    Luckily, I learned that one early on.

I think you just need to tell him honestly. If you plan to have an away day, and he calls to see you, just explain to him that you care and want this to last - so for that reason you are having a "ME" day away from him. Remind him of the problems you've had in the past and let him know you want to prevent that from happening again.

Good Luck to you (and your bf).

Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
    greeneyes100
    Inactive
    (female)

greeneyes100 HB User

If I were you, I would just see him ONCE PER WEEK for now, and just completelly disappear for at least a week! Don't call him for awhile, but wait until he calls you, and sometimes don't be home when he does call.

Romance thrives on uncertainty!!

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
    confused20
    (male)

confused20 HB User

Funny thing is that I am having problems due to the complete opposite. I've been dating my girl for over a year now and to this day I am lucky if I see her once a week. That is devastating and really starting to take a toll on me. So my opinion is too much absence isn't good either. In my case it's ruining my relationship. It's not like she lives miles away it's just that she is so busy that we don't have time. It's rough not being able to just stop by and saying hi or getting a 5 minute hug or even going out to dinner on a saturday night. So what you are complaining about Im lacking. I do agree that too much time together must be annoying also so just slowly cut back somehow. Just tell him straight out you need time alone. Can't say it'll work cuz I asked my girl for more time..................I'm still waiting, and my patience is wearing very thin. I think my relationship is pretty much done. Appreciate that your guy just wants all the chances he can get to show you he cares. that's all I wanted

Old 05-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
    Soibhan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Soibhan HB User

I think the bottom line is that there has to be a happy medium in a relationship. You need time together to talk, play, follow like interests, and then you need time apart with your girl or guy friends to become a well-rounded person. When you have separate interests from your significant other, you become a more interesting person. Happy couples are usually able to agree on the amount of time spent together. It's tough when one wants to spend more time together than the other ones does. Hey, nobody ever said that relationships were easy, huh? It takes lots of work, but worth it when you're happy.

Closed Thread