It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Girlfriend hurts herself when I try to break up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
    Guy133
    (male)

Guy133 HB User
    Girlfriend hurts herself when I try to break up

I've been with my girlfriend for about a year and a half. We are 33 years old. We've had troubles with the relationship, just can't always seem to see eye to eye on how we spend time together.

Anyway, last night was the second time that we seriously were talking about breaking up. We argued for a couple hours. Eventually, she grabbed a hard plastic mug and started whacking herself in the head with it. It even made some lumps on her head. It scares me. I can't just walk out while she's doing that, but I don't think I can stay with somebody who gets so irrational about things. A similar thing happened a couple months ago when we were arguing on the phone, and she took her phone and hit herself in the forehead to the point that she broke the skin, and even destroyed her cell phone.

What should I do? I am afraid that if I actually break up with her she may go hysterical and do something as bad or worse than she's already done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
    staceymp
    Inactive
    (female)

staceymp HB User
    Re: Girlfriend hurts herself when I try to break up

this is a tough situation. she needs help, does she realize that? i cant imagine to feel like you need out of the relationship but feeling like you have to stay for her to stay sane. thats just weird, ive only ever heard of teens doing this type of thing. is there a wway you can talk about this where you can just say you need a break and she needs to calm down? whatever you decide its not your fault if she is hurting herself. you shouldnt have to deal w/ that stress. good luck keep us posted! stacey

Old 06-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
    Datura
    (female)

Datura HB User

Call the cops or a mental institution. Break up, and have them put her on suicide watch. Seriously.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
    nothisprincess
    Inactive
    (female)

nothisprincess HB User

Last edited by nothisprincess; 06-14-2005 at 10:27 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
    Guy133
    (male)

Guy133 HB User

We argued again last night, and she started pounding on the wall and then ran out of my house claiming she would drive off a cliff. She ended up not going anywhere, and we talked for awhile and made things OK for now. When things are good, I love her. But we have a bunch of space issues that make the relationship difficult for me.

Thanks for the tips. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle this.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
    kellis
    (female)

kellis HB User

Your girlfriend needs help NOW!! Something is real wrong with her, and if someone don't do something, I hate to think of what may happen! It's beyond the point of simply hurting herself when you don't give her what she wants. She is keeping you bound to the relationship by threatening to hurt herself......that's just NUTS!! She could also end up hurting you or worse! Talk with her mother or someone in her family if you can and get her some help before it's too late!!!! Good luck

Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
    Guy133
    (male)

Guy133 HB User

For what it's worth, I can't recall her ever doing anything remotely like this, except for times when we have discussed a possible break up.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
    ladyscorp24
    (female)

ladyscorp24 HB User

she's not really nuts, she's just found a way to manipulate you

you won't leave her if you're afraid she will hurt herself......get it?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
    Guy133
    (male)

Guy133 HB User

She's ACTUALLY tried to hurt herself. I agree it's manipulating, though.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
    ladyscorp24
    (female)

ladyscorp24 HB User

Guy - This may sound cold, but it's HER decision, if she wants to hurt herself. It just burns me up when other people pull stuff like this! I had a boyfriend threaten suicide when I was 18, if I broke up with him. Boy was I messed up from that. Oh and by the way.....he didn't do it. I since have learned that people are responsible for their own actions, and I no longer will allow them to drag me in, control and manipulate me.......because that's what it boils down to. You know that right? She's trying to control and manipulate you......doesn't that really make you MAD?

The last time I had a boyfriend that threatened suicide, my mom told me to buy him a train ticket (it's since become a joke in my circle of friends).

Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
    Guy133
    (male)

Guy133 HB User

Maybe I should threaten to hurt MYSELF if we DON'T break up.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #12
    ladyscorp24
    (female)

ladyscorp24 HB User

LOL - Guy that was a good one......

like they say, fight fire with fire!

Old 06-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #13
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guy133
    She's ACTUALLY tried to hurt herself. I agree it's manipulating, though.

Not only is it manipulating it is also very childish.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
    Guy133
    (male)

Guy133 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladyscorp24
    She's trying to control and manipulate you......doesn't that really make you MAD?
    Yes. Much of the reason we are having trouble right now is because she is basically demanding that we move in together. I'm still not quite ready to do that because she tries to control how much time I spend with her. Maybe after 18 months we should be living together - I'm not sure. Maybe I have too many outside hobbies - I'm not sure. But I do know that I'm not completely happy in this relationship, and moving in together doesn't seem like it will solve the problem.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
    ladyscorp24
    (female)

ladyscorp24 HB User

Oh God no, don't move in. She will get worse, more controlling.....trust me on this. There is no timetable on when you "should", do anything.....you need to trust your gut instinct. It's telling you NO!!!
    Listen to it!

Closed Thread