It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• LOUD co-worker

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
    blusilver

blusilver HB User
    LOUD co-worker

Help! I have to deal with a very loud, obnoxious co-worker! This lady is very nice as long as you are speaking with and paying attention to her. When the spotlight is off her, or when you are deep into some project and need quiet, she finds all kinds of ways to become the center of attention, including getting nosey about what you are doing, which in my case has nothing to do with her job, involves sensitive documents and is not her business. It seems she gets louder the more you want it to be quiet. She seems very insecure, and she gets this look on her face like she's ticked off whenever there is a conversation that isn't centered around her many problems that she continually whines about. She seems to always be whining about how people treat her unfairly (drama queen syndrome here people).She is proficient at her job, and we do appreciate that, but she is distracting and doesn't give a rip how loud she is when you're on the phone or having a conversation with someone about something important. It's really unprofessional, and I've been embarrassed by having to explain to customers on the phone what all the noise was about. Several of us in the office have had to leave the room and speak with customers on someone else's phone because we simply could not hear each other over her loud squeals and shouting. She practically screams out laughter about things that in no way should be that funny, and when she's not doing that shes shouting. Several of us have started a "painkiller run" next door to get headache medicene every now and then. Worse yet, she takes extreme offense if you mention anything about it. The last place she worked at she went in to see someone about some paperwork and one of the girls there mentioned to a customer that she was "glad that she was let go because she was too loud", (she wasn't let go, she quit, and her former customers were very attached to her) so my co-worker made a huge fuss over it and called everyone she knew over there to complain, and made sure that everyone over here knew every little detail about it. Numerous attempts to ask her to tone it down and lower the volume have come to nothing but pouting and whining about people picking on her. Is there anyone who has a productive suggestion that will help us deal with her? I think she may feel she is immune to reproach because no one wants to do her job.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
    Hangin in There
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hangin in There HB User
    Re: LOUD co-worker

Maybe someone should tell her supervisor that the rest of you are having a hard time concentrating due to her loud volume and causing distractions. Maybe he/she will ask her to tone it down.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
    evy38
    Inactive
    (female)

evy38 HB User

If that doesn't work ask them to give her, her own office, even an old closet room would do.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
    blusilver

blusilver HB User
    Wink Re: LOUD co-worker

Yep, her supervisor has shushed her just as much as the rest of us. Moving her into another office would be great, because she has a lot of people she must see at her desk, but sadly, we don't have the room. I don't want to be rude to her, but lately I've been trying to keep to myself in order to avoid fueling her fire, and that doesn't work either.

She just got a ticket today for expired tabs, no seatbelt, and no proof of insurance, and I wish I could have taken a picture of her face - (oh man, we'll hear about this one for weeks...) she looks like Mimi on Drew Carey, but shorter and with short curly frosted hair, so picture this with an expression of "why is everybody picking on me? - I'm so sweet and innocent!".

Please take the pity-party elsewhere people, I have to update my online spreadsheets, leave me alone!

For those of you wondering, I keep my own hours, I'm on salary, and I practically live at work, so no, I'm not skipping out on work, I play online while my computer is updating files for me, and automatically emailing the updates. Boring stuff, but it pays the bills.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
    reddoorblack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reddoorblack HB User

Boy, can I relate to this one!! I share an office with several people and one in particular is very-very loud. Loud to the point that one of my office mates had a discussion with him about it (in a good natured way). Now when the volume goes up, we say his name and give him the secret signal that he is being too loud. He literally shouts when he talks. Not only that, he listens to music through headphones and we can't believe he isn't deaf yet. The music is so loud.

I have an extra little delima about this person. He is not from this country so I've chalked up some of his rude remarks to cultural differences but at times, he says things that really hurt my feelings. I can take a joke and do on a daily basis but this person takes it to another level and I honestly don't think he's doing it to hurt my feelings intentionally he just says what ever pops into his mind that he thinks might be funny.

If you find a solution to this problem, please let me know. Or, maybe we should get these two together and let them shout it out together and see which one cracks first.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
    heyneyoweh
    (female)

heyneyoweh HB User

Get more higher ups to back you up, advocates are always a good idea. the supervisors of people who have been disturbed by her should be notified, her clients are not the only important ones, everybodys clients are important, you shouldn't have to explain yourself for somebody elses unprofessionalism.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
    mugwump
    (female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User

As a last resort you could wear earplugs. I've actually done that on occasion. But if the supervisor knows she is loud, and they haven't done anything, then you should either tell the supervisor again, or send an email to the supervisor and CC the supervisor's supervisor. And stress what the negative consequences are to you, and that it's disrupting your work and creating a hostile work environment. Or take note how often she is bothersome, and mention that, so they get the point that something needs to be done about her. Otherwise, they'll just keep ignoring it, probably because they don't know how to deal with her.

Closed Thread