It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• When did it become fashionable for boys to treat girls like garbage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
    lemondrop
    (female)

lemondrop HB User
    delete

delete delete

Last edited by lemondrop; 12-13-2005 at 02:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
    DaVinci
    (female)

DaVinci HB User
    Re: When did it become fashionable for boys to treat girls like garbage?

Good title ...too bad you didn't go with it! Think it's got alot to do with immaturity....once they realize it's not working they usually change their ways.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
    Hazel_Eyes
    Veteran
    (female)

Hazel_Eyes HB User

Dang... I was looking forward to reading this post... I had all sorts of ideas in my head - lol

Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
    Barrygood
    (male)

Barrygood HB User

When they began listening to Rap music and watching Rap videos. Rap rhymes with Crap.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
    Hiya
    Inactive
    (female)

Hiya HB User

I think it started sometime in the early to mid 80s, with the "posse" clubs, where guys started thinking it was cool and fashionable to form these groups where they would get points for how many girls they "bagged" and sex became a sport. Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with backlash from the women's movement in the laste 60s and 70s. Men around that time resented women for gaining more power in the workplace and stopped teaching their sons to be respectful toward women.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Interesting point of view Hiya...

Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I was joking with my husband the other day about the difference a few decades can make, especially in music.

Take for example The Beetles' "I wanna hold your hand" The late 90s version by Nine Inch Nails is "I wanna #[email protected]#$ you like an animal"

Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
    LittleRose1982
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LittleRose1982 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mommie-2-B
    I was joking with my husband the other day about the difference a few decades can make, especially in music.

Take for example The Beetles' "I wanna hold your hand" The late 90s version by Nine Inch Nails is "I wanna #[email protected]#$ you like an animal"

Ha! Too funny! You're right, though. Perfect example of how society has changed over the years. Sure, women have equal rights... but I think we also lost something huge in that battle.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
    Hiya
    Inactive
    (female)

Hiya HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LittleRose1982
    Ha! Too funny! You're right, though. Perfect example of how society has changed over the years. Sure, women have equal rights... but I think we also lost something huge in that battle.
    Yeah. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in women being free to reach their full potential and live their lives as they see fit, it's just really unfortunate that men didn't evolve along with us and feel that our freedom and independence is something we have to be punished for. Plus, don't forget, the divorce rate skyrocketed as well in the 70s, and lots of boys didn't hae a father in the home full time to teach them how to identify with male and separate from female, so we've got a lot of younger men out there still stuck in that little boy, "eww, girls are stupid and icky" mindset. Like Brad pitt said in the movie Fight Club, "we're a generation of men raised by women. I really don't think another woman is what we need." They are having a harder time learning what it is to be a man in relation to loving a woman.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
    muzicman66
    Inactive
    (male)

muzicman66 HB User

Women have let this happen over the last 40 years. Remember, for every video showing women as submissive groupies. Plenty of women will sing the song, buy the cd or line up for hours to be chosen to be in the video.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
    Kentucky_Miss
    (female)

Kentucky_Miss HB User
    Re: delete

I personally feel that a man will treat you anyway he can as long as you allow it. As far as the mistreatment goes it is learned behavior, meaning somewhere in their childhood they witnessed their moms, aunts, sisters, being mistreated by those women's husbands. But, ultimately, the boyfriend/husband chooses to do it simply because he decides to do it. He does know right from wrong but chooses to be a tyrant and its up to the woman to put a stop to that. Even if you have to move, lol, do something to show them you won't be disrespected and taken advantage of. Sometimes it opens their eyes to what they are doing. The last couple of guys I dated treated me like a queen, because thats the only way I would ALLOW them to behave toward me. Rememebr ladies, it starts with you!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
    mada_3083
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mada_3083 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaVinci
    Good title ...too bad you didn't go with it! Think it's got alot to do with immaturity....once they realize it's not working they usually change their ways.
    i thought it went the other way... young guys are sweet and innocent, realise that it leads to little respect, and the ladies don't go for it anyway, so they turn around and act the opposite

Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #13
    SophiaM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muzicman66
    Women have let this happen over the last 40 years. Remember, for every video showing women as submissive groupies. Plenty of women will sing the song, buy the cd or line up for hours to be chosen to be in the video.
    I unfortunately have to agree with this. Women let themselves be treated this way. And now, for young teenage or early 20s girls it's the norm--they don't even know what to expect from boys. Everything got extremely confusing as a result of the sexual revolution. Yes, it seemingly gave women more power, but in reality, have we gained that much??? Men used to know their "place" in life. Most knew they had to be responsible and if they wanted to get a desirable woman, they had to treat her well, court her, probably marry her before even dreaming of having children with her, and so on. Now, they expect to get laid within a few dates and feel like they don't "owe" the woman anything afterwards. How messed up is that? I know a lot of women will say it's ok, we are free to do the same, blah, blah, blah..But who buys this? Women have a lot more at stake just because of our biology (even with the modern contraception techniques) and psychological makeup. At least the majority of us feels vulnerable and starts to develop feelings for a man we are sleeping with and are attracted to. I don't know what's happening to our society, but from my observations, it's not anything positive. Most kids now come from divorced or female only households. How could this be possibly good for them???? I am from a "broken" family myself and I still remember just how much I missed, desired, and fantacized (yes--fantacized!) about having a father who loved me when I was a child.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #14
    V6 Jeep 4x4
    (male)

V6 Jeep 4x4 HB User

It seems as though the women here are blaming men for what they have done over the years. The fact is, there are plenty of nice guys out there who will treat women with the utmost respect and admiration and many women don't what anything to do with them for whatever reason. The fact remains that if women didn't allow men to treat them like they do, they wouldn't do it

Men expect to get laid within a few dates because the majority of them do get laid within a few dates. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with how men were raised or anything of the sort. I would venture to say that it has more to do with how women were raised more than anything.

I'd have no problem dating a girl for a while without sleeping with her, funny thing though is that I've never had too wait. And thats my fault?

Old 12-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #15
    DaVinci
    (female)

DaVinci HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mada_3083
    i thought it went the other way... young guys are sweet and innocent, realise that it leads to little respect, and the ladies don't go for it anyway, so they turn around and act the opposite
    I meant immaturity on both sides....frankly if you have friends and make an effort to be an interesting person, everything else is irrelevant. However, if you are a loner, rather selfish, with narrow interests, then putting on a "show" ie the clothes, the souped up car, the bling, the attitude etc , may be your only way to make it through life.
    Honestly do you really want someone that likes you for that?
    Your life long friend, lover and mate is out there .....but nobody said it would be easy to find this person.

Closed Thread