It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• prayer... getting an ex to come back...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
    justkeeppraying
    (female)

justkeeppraying HB User
    prayer... getting an ex to come back...

Hi everyone who reads this,

it is so nice to meet you all.

I'm new to this board, along with many others, but in the past I have visited this site and reviewed some of the advice given on various questions and subjects. I was wondering what some of you think about the effectiveness of prayer. Its a little weird, considering that's my name and all, but I've prayed for years for certain things to happen. Sometimes they came true and sometimes they didn't (at least not yet). I guess what I'm trying to say is... do you think prayer would increase the chances of an ex coming back?...I personally believe it works, but just wanted to get some other thoughts...

Has it ever worked for anyone?

As always, any feedback or input is appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
    Murray67980
    (female)

Murray67980 HB User
    Re: prayer... getting an ex to come back...

Maybe the God you are praying to do knows that your ex is not the one for you. Maybe you just have to trust that he has a plan for you that may not be exactly what you pray for.

Listen to the song "Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks. That song always makes me happy

Old 03-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

You can't force someone to love you. Praying for them to love you again is akin to that, so I don't think it can work. But if you have faith, then by all means pray for the relationship with an ex to be as healthy as possible That's just my viewpoint.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
    cebo
    (female)

cebo HB User

I don't believe in it if only for the reason of free thinking.

eg.... you are praying for your ex to come back....what if he is praying for somebody else to be in his life?...and what if there is another person that is praying that you get together with them but you don't like them? Or what if ten people are praying for the same person to be with them? It would drive God batty , so for that reason alone I think he would stay out of it.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
    Fabat40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabat40 HB User

Hello Justkeeppraying,

I prayed for several ex's to come back to me wwwaaayyy back in my 20s. I do believe God listens and I believe he always give us what he think's it's right.

I prayed for ex-1 to come back and he never did.
    I prayed for ex-2 to come back and again, he never did.
    I prayed for ex-3 to come back and FINALLY! I thought, God heard me.....
    - well, needless to say, after ex-3 came back, I started praying that he'd leave again. I think God wanted to give me the message why he didn't bring ex 1 & 2 back, because they're all not a fit for me and they were losers, but during my frame of mind back then, I was so desperate to be with a man, I didn't care that they were losers. There were a reasons it didn't work out in the first place.

So, since then, I stopped praying for ex's to comeback. LOL

I believe that the one for us will come into our lives when we'd accepted and love ourselves. That way, we have something to give back to the one God has planned to bring into our lives.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
    justkeeppraying
    (female)

justkeeppraying HB User

Thank you guys for your opinions, they actually got me thinking about other perspectives...I guess praying for an ex is just a constant daily reminder that I want something that I can't have...I guess I'll see what happens as time goes on...life can be unpredictable.

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
    GypsyArcher
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GypsyArcher HB User

I believe in prayer...although I think "God" (and I don't even have a concrete idea of God...I guess just the unseen forces at work in the universe) will give us what we need, not just what we want. I tend to think that the whole point of life is learning to do things on our own, so I think it is better to pray for something intangible - such as strength, rather than, say, a million dollars.

And then there are those times when, as Fabat pointed out, when you DO get what you want, only to find out that it isn't for you, after all. God has to make a "point" sometimes, and s/he sure has had to make plenty of "points" for me. You can almost HEAR the sighs of exasperation coming from above

The best thing, I think, would be to pray for God to do what is best for you. And the to consider, intelligently, whether getting back together with your ex really would be the best thing for both of you, or if you should truly move on.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
    Hiya
    Inactive
    (female)

Hiya HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justkeeppraying
    Thank you guys for your opinions, they actually got me thinking about other perspectives...I guess praying for an ex is just a constant daily reminder that I want something that I can't have...I guess I'll see what happens as time goes on...life can be unpredictable.

Thanks again
    Personally, although I do believe in God, I also believe that prayer is nothing more than a pep talk we give ourselves. I think if we pray for something we can't give ourselves if we only try, we're wasting our time. I think some things have happened in this world that can be described as a miracle, something that happens that is so unusual, that has no scientific explanation, like cancer suddenly just disappearing from someone, that seems to have come from divine intervention, but I think counting on that happening is like counting on winning the lottery. I don't really believe God answers prayers. I pray every day for my brother to get a good job, for many years, He won't answer it. I prayed my dog wouldn't die, she did. I prayed for all kinds of things that never happened. Even prayed for my ex to come back to me for a while. God married him up to someone else, so I prayed I'd find someone else better suited for me and dolled myself up and hit every club, singles connection in town, 8 years later, He still hasn't answered that one. So then I started to pray that He would help me carry the pain of being alone and of knowing the only man I ever loved never loved me and is married to someone else, didn't answer that one either. I think you have to answer your own prayers, or they just don't get answered. I don't think God works that way.

I think when it comes to ex's, instead of hoping for a miracle, you're much better off just learning whatever lessons there are to learn from the situation and moving on as fast as possible to whatever phase of life comes next. Good luck to you.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

prayer 'working' is a strange concept. prayer always 'works'. it's just a matter of, Is it God's will that you be with that person? just because you want it to happen, doesn't mean that it is the best thing for you. God knows what's best for you and always listens to your prayers. Remember that he knows what you are praying for but maybe he has something better planned for you in the future.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 AM   #10
    SophiaM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SophiaM HB User

Well, I prayed for an ex to come back. When that didn't happen, I prayed that I meet the guy who is right for me. Didn't happen, either. So now I'm an agnostic

Old 03-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
    huzumnu
    (male)

huzumnu HB User

Fabat40. That was funny!! I prayed for a relationship with a wonderful woman that told me that she needed a break in order to get her head straight. She needed 2 weeks. I liked her alot and did some praying during that time. I prayed that she would get her act together and start a relationship with me. SHE DID! it worked!! The only problem was that I asked God to bring her back and forgot to ask God to let her stay She was gone again in a month. God works in strange ways. Don't forget the details

Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
    SophiaM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SophiaM HB User

If someone had it in them to dump you once, it's very likely they will have it in them to dump you again.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
    Lance0204
    Veteran
    (male)

Lance0204 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SophiaM
    Well, I prayed for an ex to come back. When that didn't happen, I prayed that I meet the guy who is right for me. Didn't happen, either. So now I'm an agnostic
    ahh..toots, so funny,

Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
    steakie46
    (female)

steakie46 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murray67980
    Maybe the God you are praying to do knows that your ex is not the one for you. Maybe you just have to trust that he has a plan for you that may not be exactly what you pray for.

Listen to the song "Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks. That song always makes me happy

I was going to mention that song too! It's a good one, I think you mentioned it to me before, also another good song to listen too about this subject that I love is "Bless the Broken Road" by rascal Flatts and helps to think positively on the situation.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #15
    LostMyHeart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LostMyHeart HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SophiaM
    That's cute.

By the same token, I wonder if you can "will" someone into calling you?

Closed Thread