It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• when super sarcastic people become annoying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User
    when super sarcastic people become annoying

So my husband and I have these new friends. The husband in particular is super sarcastic all the time. Like we didn't even know him and he would just always throw in these sarcastic comments which you really can't tell if he is joking or not because he is just so straight faced the entire time. One time he took it too far and I was kind of offended thinking "dude I don't evne know you!" If you can't tell my husband and I are NOT sarcastic people. Well they are really getitng under our skin. I was wondering if once you get to know really sarcastic people better if they stop being annoying and if the comments just roll off you. My husband knew a classmate who was really sarcastic all the time and my husband thought he was a jerk until he got to know him better and realized it was just his humor. I just feel bad because it makes me not wanna hang out with them so much anymore even though the wife is pretty cool.

Last edited by besafe20; 12-05-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User
    Re: when super sarcastic people become annoying

Quote:
    Originally Posted by besafe20
    I was wondering if once you get to know really sarcastic people better if they stop being annoying and if the comments just roll off you.
    Without meaning to offend you, I think that your answer is entirely objective and relies solely on the individuals involved. Sure, when some "non-sarcastic people" get to know "sarcastic people," they can become used to the sarcasm and it'll be less annoying for them. But perhaps it is different for you and his humor is too offensive for your liking and will always be that way.

What sorts of sarcasm has offended you? It may be that he has crossed a line in your view, or perhaps you and your husband just need to lighten up a bit and get used to it, especially if you really value this friendship. Either way, just weigh the pros and cons of the friendship. It is not like you can change this man or his sense of humor. Perhaps you could just start hanging out only with the wife for some "girls only" time instead. But be careful as you don't want to offend HER because you don't like her husband.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
    galinaqt
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

galinaqt HB User

I can relate to disliking sarcastic people. My cousin's ex-bf can say joke in a tone of voice you wouldn't understand if he is serious or joking. I felt uncomfi around him. It wasn't the reason why she broke up with him, they were just wanting different things like he wants get back to US and she wants to leave abroad.
    It's definetly annoying

Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
    Unsure_88
    Inactive
    (female)

Unsure_88 HB User

I'm a pretty sarcastic person, and yes it annoys people but the way I look at it is, I don't have a problem with people who take everything seriously so why should they have a problem with me being sarcastic.

I won't ever cross the line because I know my boundaries but hey everyone is different...the world wouldn't be a fun place if we didn't have the dull sarcastic, or funny sarcastic people. Just let him know what offends you, he will stop and won't go that far the next time around. But sarcasim is something that makes a few people have an awesome personality.

So you have to decide if this is something you can look past or if its just not worth hanging out with them anymore. Truly his sarcasm will fade in time when you have more to talk about. But just don't take it seriously.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #5
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

i think i definitely fall into the sarcastic / smartass category...
    and i'm sure i've taken it too far from time to time...
    i usually don't notice until after the fact, but i DO usually feel bad when i do finally realize it...

i try to make sure to make fun of myself as much as i make fun of anything else, and i guess that's my little way of justifying it, but some people just don't go for that kind of humor... and that's of course their right... and i respect that...

if it continues to bother you, or if he doesn't seem to be letting up at all, i'm sure a straightforward discussion about it couldn't hurt...
    he'll either be cool about it and respect your wishes, or he'll be a jerk about it and the "friendship" will fizzle out...
    either way, you probably won't have to deal with the irritating behavior any longer...

Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

Well I think what it is, is that we feel stupid half the time when we can't tell if he is joking or not. There have been so many times that he says something out of sarcasm just out of no where and my husband and I are like totally believing him and take it seriously and then when we find out it was a sarcastic comment we feel dumb. Sometimes we really can't tell what is sarcastic and what isn't so a lot of the sarcasm goes right over our heads! Maybe he is the kind of person that you just have to assume everything that he says is sarcastic so you don't feel that way!?!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User

Or you could just ask him each time "hey are you being sarcastic?" -- say it lightly like, "hey now, is that sarcasm again?" and then again, something like "Now come on, you can't be serious there... please tell me you're joking..." and you can sort of laugh a bit when you ask. If you keep asking over and over, he may get the hint to take it easy on the sarcasm (or maybe he'll start to add a sort of disclaimer to his statements like "just kidding" -- that's what I'd do if someone kept asking me if I was being sarcastic or serious). I think it is OK to gently tell him that you and your husband sometimes feel as though you can't tell the difference between his serious statements and his sarcasm. "You know, you're so sarcastic all the time, you little joker you -- sometimes we can't tell if you're serious or not! So I'm just gunna ask you from now on to make sure...hehehe..."

Does that sound like it might work?

Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

I am a sarcastic person. Sarcasm is my sense of humor. I've given a few people the impression that I'm a snob or a b**** when first meeting. I don't mean to. I never realize at the time that "Hey, this person doesn't know me yet, and doesn't get that I'm joking." I also have a natural tone about my voice that makes me sound careless sometimes. so even when I have to say "I'm just joking" it often sounds emotionless and insencere. Like I said.. I really don't mean to give this impression! The voice thing I can't help, unless I put effort into adding emphasis or something!

My friends now think I'm very funny, and witty! Over the years though I have found a group of people where a majority share my sense of humor. My boyfriend and I bounce our sarcasm off eachother all the time. I love that about him. My mom can't stand people who are "constantly sarcastic." My response- "Mom, I'M constantly sarcastic!" Anyway..

Certain people get it, others don't. Depending on how long you've been hanging out with these friends, then it may always annoy you. Also, there is sarcastic mean, and sarcastic funny. I used to be alot more sarcastic mean than I am now. (I was a lot more bitter a few years ago.) Sarcastically mean people are only funny to themselves.

If you've only known them a short while, then I say give him a little more of a chance. It may begin to roll off you, or even humor you. If it doesn't soon though, then it probably never will.

If you do become better friends though, you could always mention it to him. Just let him know that you can't always tell when he's joking and sometimes you take offense to what he says. If he's a mature adult he'll understand, and he'll respect you for your honesty.

Good luck!

Closed Thread