It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

Bad neighbors!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
alleycat2
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
Bad neighbors!

I have these bad neighbor's. They were nothing but trouble. Their dogs would always come in our yard and crap all over! All the dogs,including ours, were suppose to be tied up. We never really complained about it because our neighbor and his son were scary. There was plenty of rumors about there wrong doings. Minus the rumors, we heard and saw bad things ourselves so we ket our distance. Anyway the neighbor gets a mean dog (like a pittbull) and lets it run all over in our yard and attack our dog while he watches from his yard. My husband got mad and finally called the copps. During this time our dogs would mysteriously get unhooked from their chains. They would have their collar on and the hook would simply be unhooked from their chain. I suspected the neighbors were doing it for revenge or a set up by letting our dogs loose. It would only happen when we were gone and late at night when we were sleeping. My husband didn't believe they would do something like that. These people openly defied the copps! Finally, we had to call the copps so often that the neighbors had to go to court. They tried to lie and got caught. Since than we have had no more problems. Infact they are rarely ever home and our dogs have not gotten loose since that day! Was it possible they really were unhooking our dogs or is it just a coincadence (sp)? Anyone else have a bad neighbor story?

Last edited by alleycat2; 03-12-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Bad neighbors!

anything is possible, they could have been unhooking the dogs. My question is.....why are the dogs outside hooked up when you're not home to supervise?
that's a very dangerous situation to put your dogs in. My dog is in the house when I'm not home, and only outside when he's supervised.
I'd still watch them, I wouldn't put anything past your neighbors.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
ILYF
Inactive
(female)

ILYF HB User

My guess is the dog wasn't unhooking itself! Of course the bad neighbor was doing it...people are nuts! Since I've been around for 44 years now, I think I've pretty much seen it all and NOTHING would surprise me anymore!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I have learned to stay out of neighbors business...not associate with neighbors. I wish you luck that they continue to be "good" neighbors from now on!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I'm wondering the same thing as Rose. Why are these dogs chained up outside when you're not home? Mine are also inside when I'm not home. When they were young and puppies, they were crated, but never for more than a few hours until DH & I could get home and let them out. Goodness, so many bad things happen to dogs when they're chained outside unsupervised!

Have you thought about a large privacy fence? That would certainly make it so other dogs can't get into your backyard -- I assume we're talking about the backyard?

I feel much better since we put in a privacy fence in the backyard. While we have sweet labs, they are very protective when strangers would approach the chain-link fence we used to have. Our neighbors -- who are great friends of ours -- have a small child, who's very inquisitive of strange animals and has no fear of them. She's bitten all the time by so many strange dogs. We took no chances and put up a privacy fence. We couldn't afford to have one professionally installed for us, but just the materials were very affordable -- not to mention the small savings we saw in our homeowners insurance and the fact that it raised the home's value. Our neighbor was one of the guys who helped install it.

Isn't there a saying about fences make for better neighbors?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
vintagegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

The last time I had a nice neighbor was when I was 16 years old. And let's just say--that was quite awhile ago. There is no such thing anymore. The above poster is right. Don't associate with neighbors at all if you can help it. My bf and I have had nightmare neighbors for 3 years...have had to call the city on them for their ongoing construction and trash heaps. You would not believe the way they live. They're just pigs, and their kids are growing up to be just like them. Then those kids will start a new cycle, and their's another. It's not even about the mess....it's about having consideration for other's living around you....obviously something that is NOT being taught in the home and starts with something as simple as having jr. clean their room or do the dishes out of consideration for the rest of your family who lives there and has to look at it as well. Society has hit an all time low. Everyone is so lazy. Expect the worst but hope for better--sadly, that is what things have come to in 2007.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
alleycat2
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

We have a fence around our homw but we also tie the dogs up incase they dig under it and get out. The fence keeps them in but if someone wanted to climb over it or open the front gate to the driveway it wouldn't be too hard. It's mostly to keep the dogs in and for decoration.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it's still not safe for the dog....obviously it's not that secure because your neighbors have gotten in to unhook the dogs. Please reconsider leaving them outside when you're not home. It's putting your dogs in a vulnerable position. What if your neighbors unleash their pitbull in your yard and your dogs are chained and can't protect themselves.
You already know your neighbors aren't very nice people.....what's stopping them from throwing a poisoned steak over your fence? If it was me, I'd be inspecting that yard with a fine tooth comb before the dogs were able to go out there, and they would only be out there when they are supervised.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Blastoff9600
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Someone was unhooking them. I have a fenced yard and wouldnt chain my dogs up,and they even dig huge holes in the yard. Surprisingly they dont dig near the fence so I have no worries on that.
Chances are your neighbors are towing the line becuase they probably got some kind of probation in which if htey get in trouble again within a set time they have to serve jail time.
Here are a few tips that might help you out in the future. Get some security camers and set them up around the house. Have then run to a vcr and make sure you have the tv split screen so you can have all the pics from the camers showing and record anytime you are gone. Next buy a paintball gun. This is to use on any dogs that come in your yard. You can either shot at the dogs or around them depending on how you feel about it. With a pitball known to attack other dogs I would shot at it. This works wonders at keeping dogs out of your yard. Yes I know from experience. If you actually hit the dogs it will leave some lovely colors on them that marks them as having been in your yard so if someone claims it wasnt their dog you can point out the paint on it.
Before people start jumping on me about how cruel it is. Then think of this you dont have to clean my front yard in which I enjoy walking barefoot in. Second you dont have to deal with strange dogs that could be vicious and I have kids that play in my front yard. We have tried other ways of chasing off the dogs but none have worked better than the paintball gun. Just so you know my front yard isnt fenced.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
try-ink
Veteran
(female)

try-ink HB User

Bad neighbors, stories..............?

Mines are unbelievbale. I don't know if they purposly does it or they just forgot to close their windows. Anyway........it's always involve sex.

I heard 3 incidents, and witness one. Me and Hubby had to move our bedroom to the guest room(sucks...because the guest room don't have a bathroom) I mean....we had too. I have to wake up at 4:30 am every morning for work....I need piece and quiet!

Anyways......glad your neighbors calm down. Mines....I don't know.....all I know is the other bedroom are closed/off limits at night!

Last edited by try-ink; 03-12-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
prairie_dawn
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat2 View Post
We have a fence around our homw but we also tie the dogs up incase they dig under it and get out. The fence keeps them in but if someone wanted to climb over it or open the front gate to the driveway it wouldn't be too hard. It's mostly to keep the dogs in and for decoration.

If you have to tie the dogs out so they dont dig then the fence is NOT keeping htem in. Is there a reason why they have to stay outside? You need to train your dogs to bark on command wehn a stranger aproches or when someone they might know is coming to do something wrong. Dogs know this instinctively and if you teach them to bring it out they will bark when there is danger. You also need to teach them to "phoey" said foo ee. It means you dont take or pick up anything that "I" the alpha dog didnt give you . which i would think is what the neighbors were doing do shut them up so they wouldnt bark and get close to them. You are very lucky that they didnt poison them. Yes i beleive whole heartedly that the neighbors did tihs and because they got smacked by the court system stopped it BUT dont think it is over you wont be expecting it but they might do something again. So please make sure dogs have all vaccinations and if possible please bring them in at night and when you arent home to protect your babies. You can teach them even at an old age to be crate trained in the house. It has been done and dogs love it, they have a safe place to be and warmth. Thinkabout it for their sake.

good luck and congratulations to you for taking them to court and standing up for the crap. You might also think about an alarm system around your fence as well. that would scare the bejesus out of them. LOL

Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
Laylah
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User

The only thing I have to say about neighbours is that it's best to stay well away from them. There's all these notions about getting on well with your neighbours, but in my experience if you fall in with your neighbours it's only time before you fall back out with them, and then you're stuck with them. I should know, my mother has been conducting a feud with her next door neighbour that has been going on for 27 years!!

Closed Thread