It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Huge argument--is my girlfriend unstable?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #46
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User
    Re: Huge argument--is my girlfriend unstable?

I assume by now they have ate their pasta and sauce and are making up and laughing about this whole ordeal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #47
    deskette
    Inactive
    (female)

deskette HB User

okay this is has become ridiculous. i got halfway through reading these posts and it was just annoying. i can see from your side, and i can see from hers. i agree that the whole pounding her head and pulling her hair and wanting to kill herself.. is infact unstable. i think you are being closed-minded when it comes to the freakin sauce jar. she wanted a bag, big deal. you dont like bags, so okay YOU carry it without the bag and dont be snatch it from her. everybody does their own thing, their own way. you want her to carry it, then she should have been able to have a stupid bag. sometimes people freak over little things, and its not only the females. yes we cry more blah blah blah.
    you say that your mom has only cried a few times in her life, well thats all that you know. your mom could have been crying in her room, i mean... why would a mother let her son see her when shes weak? shes suppose to be strong. thats silly to compare how much your mother cries, to your girlfriend. doesnt even make sense.. i dont want to even think about how obsurd that is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkfrisk View Post
    If my girlfriend continues to be difficult, I will try to have her medicated and stabilized.
    this quote bothered me. dont medicate her shes not your experiment. if you cant handle her behavior FIND SOMEBODY ELSE. geez.

im not going to bash anybody here. seems like there has been enough of that. i think you two have a serious communication issue. if you dont want to communicate with her, then find yourself a girl that just doesnt care. treat somebody how you want to be treated. put yourself in HER SHOES and try to feel what she felt. that sounds lame but seriously.. theres no other way to understand and not be so cold about comforting her.
    this is a 50/50 and the petty arguement is evenly both of yalls fault.

Last edited by deskette; 05-27-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #48
    Laylah
    Inactive
    (female)

Laylah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by destroyedbliss View Post
    ...the petty arguement is evenly both of yalls fault.
    I know it dosent add anything for benefit of the OP, but I couldnt help mentioning that I love that whole Texan "yalls" thing!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #49
    nkfrisk
    (male)

nkfrisk HB User

Well ...I don't deny that the initial dispute over how to transport the jar of sauce was petty. I feel strongly about issues like recycling, not wasting plastic bags, not wasting electricity, etc. I don't see it as a matter of my preferences versus someone else's preferences, but as a matter
    of civic duty and quotidian ethics. So I got irritated and grabbed the jar back from her. It was a small jar. It was tightly sealed. It was a short walk to the car and she was not wearing a white dress at the time. Maybe it was a bit rude of me, but she had also been rude and I would have preferred to forget the episode if she hadn't chosen to give me the silent treatment all day and project a sorrowful demeanor.

But anyway, the more alarming development was the violent blow-up in the car and the suicidal statement that came with it. We've gone through these tiffs before, but this was the first time she had started hitting herself and saying that she didn't want to live.

Now for the follow-up. The next day we exchanged a few messages to see what the other was up to. In the afternoon, she called and said that she'd bought two concert tickets for that evening and asked if I'd go with
    her. We did and it was a proper date. Things went back to normal for a week, but now another episode over something stupid.

We had agreed to go to the gym together yesterday. In the morning, she called and said that she wanted to take an aerobics class at noon and I said that I needed to work on something at home and planned to go to another
    branch either in the afternoon or evening. She said that she could go with me there. I asked why she would want to go to the gym, and then meet me at another gym and suggested that she skip the aerobics class today. But she really wanted to take it.

So she called me at 1pm, said that her class had ended and asked what I was doing. I was still working on something at home. She said she'd do some exercise. She called again at 2pm and asked what I was doing. I was still at home, working on something. She got irritated and said that she was going home. The rest of the day, we squabbled by SMS. She said that I was inconsiderate to lounge around at home while she was waiting
    to meet me. What?? I'd made it clear that I wasn't going to the gym until later. She said that she was clearly hanging around waiting for me, and it would have been obvious if I cared more about her. -- If she wanted me
    to meet her at a specific time, she could have just asked directly instead of expecting me to follow clues. And couldn't she find a way to kill time without having me drop what I'm doing to meet her?

By evening I had gone to the gym on my own, had some dinner at a food court. Then she saw fit to call me and asked if we should meet ..."do you want to meet?", "- do you want to meet?," "fine, let's meet."
    She came to meet me at Starbucks bearing a frosty expression. Not a word to say. I asked if she'd had any dinner and she said that she hadn't. I asked if she wanted to get some food and she said that she didn't. She started reading a magazine. I stared at her until she looked up, and then she stared back at me with a hurt expression. I kept staring, just to see what would happen. Her eyes started welling up with tears. I asked what was wrong
    and she went silent. We left and she had a dazed, unhappy look. Standing on the street, I asked if she wanted to get some dinner. She shook her head. I asked if she wanted to go home. She shook her head. I asked if she wanted to come over. She shook her head.

Then she started crying again and I kept asking what was wrong. Was she mad at me? Did something happen? Was she feeling ill? Finally, she just said that she felt empty. She got agitated and then muttered "i'm going to die". To be honest, I was feeling really irritated and started thinking that it's unbearable being with someone who goes into these morose, catatonic
    states. But I tried to be comforting and convinced her to go home and sleep. I can't tell if she is genuinely depressed, or just being incredibly immature. I've gone through depression and it was persistent and unrelenting. The few times I've seen her become this way, it's been after a petty argument between us. At other times she seems quite cheerful. The more she behaves this way, the more I'm turned off. But how do you break up with someone who is really depressed, if in fact she is depressed? She really has no other friends and her parents live overseas. Not long ago I was thinking that she might be the one. Now I'm wondering how I got into this mess.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #50
    brook65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brook65 HB User

Nfrisk

Although I could see her side with the pasta incident. This particular situation with the gym etc is a bit daft on her part.

You had already stated to her prior to the aerobics class that you were busy doing something at home, so she should of respected that, and found something else to do for the short while. That is childish I have to agree with you there.

Listen do you think you two are actually compatible? I don't wish to be rude, it just seems that shes maybe not the girl for you., I think maybe reading further your better best out of it.

Last edited by brook65; 05-29-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #51
    tarheel247
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tarheel247 HB User

i know this is a far reach...but could she be ill..like with some sort of terminal illness? maybe she found out she had cancer or something and doesn't want to tell you or anyone else. then again she might be bi-polar..

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #52
    soulster
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

soulster HB User

Yeah, I get the feeling she wants someone who will constantly smother her with affection and constantly want to be with her just as she wants to be with that person... and she probably is not finding it in you and this realization is probably just hitting her now so hence the depressed defeated attitude .... you mentioned she gave up her marriage to be with you, maybe that is adding to her depression as you turned out not to be what she expected and now she feels she lost out not only of a marriage but of a potential boyfriend. It really doesnt seem as though you two are compatible, you seem very pragmatic, responsible and everything by the book sort of type where as she seems needy, affectionate and extremely sensitive. You dont fit into what she needs and vice versa. I think it is best to break it off right now. I find it odd that she doesnt have any friends or family? how old are you two if I may ask?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #53
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

Ok.. I definitely think it's safe to assume that her "I'm going to/want to die" comments are way beyond being an emotional female. It's one thing to tear up with hurt and frustration... but saying that she feels empty and wants to die are on total ends of the spectrum.

Maybe she's bipolar. Maybe she really is depressed. Although, I don't really thats the case. I've been depressed myself, I've been so low that I've contemplated suicide.. and it's definitely not something that I shared with people. It was my own private hell! I didn't use it as a defense mechanism during an argument. I've known a girl or two who have said "I'll kill myself if you ever break up with me." Horrible horrible horrible way to guilt/scare someone into staying with you.

I'm sure this whole ordeal is a combination of things, but mainly it just seems that your personalities are clashing. If she really does have some depression and emotional issues, then she needs to seek help.

If you really want to end things with her I think the best way to approach this is by sitting down with her and telling that you're concerned with her suicidal comments, and that you want her to talk to someone about why she feels that way. Tell her that you're willing to support and help her, but only if she starts taking action and starts getting help for herself.

Bottom line- if she's not happy with herself, then she'll never be happy with anyone.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #54
    happymom28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

happymom28 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkfrisk View Post
    Well ...I don't deny that the initial dispute over how to transport the jar of sauce was petty. I feel strongly about issues like recycling, not wasting plastic bags, not wasting electricity, etc. I don't see it as a matter of my preferences versus someone else's preferences, but as a matter of civic duty and quotidian ethics. So I got irritated and grabbed the jar back from her. It was a small jar. It was tightly sealed. It was a short walk to the car and she was not wearing a white dress at the time. Maybe it was a bit rude of me, but she had also been rude and I would have preferred to forget the episode if she hadn't chosen to give me the silent treatment all day and project a sorrowful demeanor.
    I feel very strongly about the whole recycling thing too. It drives me crazy that people would rather use plastic bags at the grocery store than get a paper bag that you can put more in and recycle when you are done. Our society has become very wasteful. I'm not going to dispute whether or not your snatching it back was justified or not. Litte things like this do happen in the heat of the moment sometimes and it is very unfair that you are taking all the blows and she is getting all this sympathy (not to mention if the situation were reversed and the woman did what you did we would all be calling this man unstable). Her pouting and acting like a spoiled brat was absolutely ridiculous! Most of us have stupid and petty arguments with our SOs, but most of us do not explode into this suicidal monster over these petty things even on our worst PMS days. I'm sorry, but unstable doesn't even begin to describe her.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkfrisk
    Then she started crying again and I kept asking what was wrong. Was she mad at me? Did something happen? Was she feeling ill? Finally, she just said that she felt empty. She got agitated and then muttered "i'm going to die". To be honest, I was feeling really irritated and started thinking that it's unbearable being with someone who goes into these morose, catatonic states. But I tried to be comforting and convinced her to go home and sleep. I can't tell if she is genuinely depressed, or just being incredibly immature. I've gone through depression and it was persistent and unrelenting. The few times I've seen her become this way, it's been after a petty argument between us. At other times she seems quite cheerful. The more she behaves this way, the more I'm turned off. But how do you break up with someone who is really depressed, if in fact she is depressed? She really has no other friends and her parents live overseas. Not long ago I was thinking that she might be the one. Now I'm wondering how I got into this mess.
    So you even took some advice and tried to be sympathetic and where did it get you? Nowhere because she has some issues! Maybe she is depressed, who knows. It is not your responsibility to be there at her beck and call. I would be pretty annoyed to if I told someone that I had work to do and I was going to the gym later only to have them call every hour and expect me to stop what I was doing to do what they wanted. It's pathetic. You can't be her everything and it unfair for her to expect you to be. She needs to find what makes her happy and not expect you to do it for her.

You thought she was the one because she was on her good behavior. Now she has let her guard down and shown you who she is, a whiny brat. I think you should find yourself a stronger woman and let her find herself a man who will be at her beck and call or some therapy.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #55
    nkfrisk
    (male)

nkfrisk HB User

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just wanted to post something now that it really seems over between us. Since my last post, we had been together again for a while, with things fairly normal. Yesterday evening, I had arranged to meet a refugee I know through a charity for a coffee at Starbucks. When my (ex) gf called to see what I was doing, I suggested that she come and join us, but she said she'd meet me later instead. I was chatting with this guy, probably for two and a half hours because he was talking about his situation and problems. I called my gf when we finished at 9:30, she said it was too late to go for dinner and she'd bring some food over to my place.

So she came over and I told her all about the conversation I'd had, which I found quite interesting. When I finished talking, all she said in response was that she couldn't believe that I had let her wait for so long without so much as a call or message. She had been sitting around at home, hungry and waiting for me. I couldn't believe I was being criticised again and asked why on earth SHE didn't call me or send me a message, if anything it would have given me an excuse to end the meeting sooner. And in fact I had asked her to join us in the first place.

She said it was a sign of how little I cared about her and she now realized that "this is the type of person" I am. Another alleged sign of how little I care about her is that I always walk ahead of her in public. I couldn't believe how idiotic this was. I am 6'6, she is 5'4 and always walks at a snail's pace in high-heeled shoes. I cannot possibly move any slower than I already do. At this point, i remarked that she had spoiled another evening and wondered why she had come over if she was so mad at me.

What followed was another hysterical breakdown. She was screaming, crying, throwing things, hitting herself. The whole building must have heard. In the heat of things, I said that I was done with this relationship and she had better get some therapy. After a while, she wanted to leave but I insisted that she calm down and spend the night, and I would stay in the other room. I fell asleep and woke up to find her gone, having taken all her things with her.

Now I feel queasy about the wasted year behind me. I've never spent so much of my time with someone, taken them so seriously, wanted only the best for them. Maybe I was a bit inconsiderate or self-absorbed at times, but I don't know how I ever wronged her to deserve the type of reaction that I got. She was also very sweet to me most of the time. Just a couple days ago, she surprised me with a holiday booking for my birthday next weekend.
    I guess that's not going to happen now. I can't believe it ended over a plastic bag argument and because I spent too much time at Starbucks.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #56
    nkfrisk
    (male)

nkfrisk HB User

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just wanted to post something now that it really seems over between us. Since my last post, we had been together again for a while, with things fairly normal. Yesterday evening, I had arranged to meet a refugee I know through a charity for a coffee at Starbucks. When my (ex) gf called to see what I was doing, I suggested that she come and join us, but she said she'd meet me later instead. I was chatting with this guy, probably for two and a half hours because he was talking about his situation and problems. I called my gf when we finished at 9:30, she said it was too late to go for dinner and she'd bring some food over to my place.

So she came over and I told her all about the conversation I'd had, which I found quite interesting. When I finished talking, all she said in response was that she couldn't believe that I had let her wait for so long without so much as a call or message. She had been sitting around at home, hungry and waiting for me. I couldn't believe I was being criticised again and asked why on earth SHE didn't call me or send me a message, if anything it would have given me an excuse to end the meeting sooner. And in fact I had asked her to join us in the first place.

She said it was a sign of how little I cared about her and she now realized that "this is the type of person" I am. Another alleged sign of how little I care about her is that I always walk ahead of her in public. I couldn't believe how idiotic this was. I am 6'6, she is 5'4 and always walks at a snail's pace in high-heeled shoes. I cannot possibly move any slower than I already do. At this point, i remarked that she had spoiled another evening and wondered why she had come over if she was so mad at me.

What followed was another hysterical breakdown. She was screaming, crying, throwing things, hitting herself. The whole building must have heard. In the heat of things, I said that I was done with this relationship and she had better get some therapy. After a while, she wanted to leave but I insisted that she calm down and spend the night, and I would stay in the other room. I fell asleep and woke up to find her gone, having taken all her things with her.

Now I feel queasy about the wasted year behind me. I've never spent so much of my time with someone, taken them so seriously, wanted only the best for them. Maybe I was a bit inconsiderate or self-absorbed at times, but I don't know how I ever wronged her to deserve the type of reaction that I got. She was also very sweet to me most of the time. Just a couple days ago, she surprised me with a holiday booking for my birthday next weekend.
    I guess that's not going to happen now. I can't believe it ended over a plastic bag argument, because I walk too fast and because I spent too much time at Starbucks.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:41 AM   #57
    BeaTrade
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

These aren't big issues for someone that's rational to go crazy over. These are dumb things that get under someone's skin and they get in a little spat over and 10 minutes later everything is settled and they are on to something else. The problem isn't that she get aggravated or mad...the problem is that she went nuts and freaked out and got hysterical over something so small! I get angry when my husband doesn't let me know what's going on and have to sit and sit and sit and wait for him and I'm starving but I don't lose my everlovin' mind over it! She sounds like she's a spoiled brat that has always gotten her way by throwing tantrums with her parents..it's doubtful she's going to change.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #58
    EddieDean
    Veteran
    (female)

EddieDean HB User

I'm glad you were able to get out of this relationship. Dating is supposed to be fun.....this kind of high-stress, Lifetime-movie drama is not something you need to deal with on an everyday basis.

That being said, it sounds like this woman really does have some sort of deep-seeded issues. Either she has learned over the years that her tears and suicide threats get results from men, OR she honestly has a mental illness. If you're still on speaking terms, you might want to suggest that she see a therapist. This behavior is going to sabatoge a lot of her future relationships.

I have always been a crier. My mom is the same way....we cry at movies, touching moments (weddings, showers, seeing a baby, etc.), and I have grown up soooo embarassed by my lack of ability to control my emotions. I remember crying when I failed tests in school, crying when a teacher yelled at me, crying when kids would tease me for crying, etc. etc.

This translated into my relationship with guys.....I would cry when I wasn't getting enough attention from my boyfriend, I would cry when we weren't connecting the way I wanted, I would cry when he would show up late for our dates. When I started dating my husband a few years later (we've been together for 8 years now), I fell into this same pattern, but he did me a HUGE favor by calling me out on it. I remember him saying "I didn't cry this hard when my Grandfather died, and all we had was a crappy date." At first I was mad because he couldn't see that I absolutely could NOT control these tears.

But wow, then I realized that I was crying a lot less and I COULD control them if I wanted! It wasn't making him care about me more, it was just making him frustrated. I noticed that I started crying a lot less, and when I did cry it was usually for a good reason and he was really understanding. Sometimes I still have those moments where I cry simply because my hormones are off or I'm upset about something he doesn't understand. For those instances, we've struck a deal where he simply holds me and lets me cry until I feel better. That way he doesn't feel helpless for not being able to make me feel better, nor does he feel like he's enabling me to do this behavior more. It's worked wonders for us. I am in general a happier person and have learned to use words instead of tears to explain my feelings.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because I want you to feel good about your decision.....enabling her to continue this behavior was not the answer, and maybe this is her first step towards realizing how ridiculous and unproductive this behavior is as I did. I hope this experience doesn't turn you off to dating for awhile, and that when you do find "the one" that you will sympathize with her when she does have those teary moments, provided they are justified.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #59
    prairie_dawn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

prairie_dawn HB User

I just wanted to say that when you said for her to not take the bag that she could have said no as well and just gotten one and did what she wanted. Instead she was childish and pouted which would have set me off as well.

What I have to say has nothing to do with your ex...but i have to say it anyway.. Growing up thinking that your mother was a rock and dad was strong yet abusive is NOT normal and you DO NOT have to continue the cycle. If you have issues of anger and have a short fuse then you need to control it or learn how to. You ARE NOT your dad or your mom. If you want a women who will tell you to kiss off when you yell at her then find that woman but dont expect us all to be that way. Personally, you would not have had to ask me for help i would have taken half of your stuff so it was not cluttering you. BUT if you had asked me to carry that I would have and if you had said to not get the bad I would have anyway because that is me and not all women are weak.

Yes i said weak! To me that is weakness. If someone says dont do it and you dont but you pout about it and sulk that to me is weakness.

I am a mother of 4 , i cry about absolutely everything. Your won your game , i cry. You got an 80 on your test, I cry! You went potty, I cry! DH gets mad at me for forgetting a bill, I cry. It is not trying to get over on him or manipulation at all (in my case) its just that I am oversensitive and too emotional and it got worse with the more kids I had. BUT that does not mean I am weak. if i'm mad I'll speak up, I'll tell ya hey bite me! (LOL) or what the heck is wrong with you? I have a good ballance of both.

You need to find a woman that is strong willed and will stand for your arrogance and strength. Yes I say arrogance because you think because you feel a certain way that everyone should agree. IT is not nessesarily a bad thing but you certainly need that same strength in a woman. My husband is strong and demands things as well and I either do it or dont , I dont say ok then sulk. Marriage or any relationship is hard work and compromise. Dont take everything your parents did as solid reasurance for a relationship, parents are human and make mistakes. Read between the lines and follow your gut!. LOL

You did the right thing with not staying with her. good luck

Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #60
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

It sucks that you feel that you've wasted a year of your life.. but you have to really try not to think of it like that. Every relationship is a learning experience... especially the failed ones!

Whether you were too much of this, or too little of that.. it still really seems to me that this all boiled down to being incompatible. She sounds like a high-maintenance girl that needs a guy who smothers her with attention, and pampering. That may not be you.. and that's ok.

I could understand her getting irritated that you were at starbucks longer than she would have liked... but it's not as if you two had made definite plans, and you blew her off. She shouldn't have made it a huge issue.

I believe the break up was your best option. She needs someone who is willing and able to drop everything for her. And she definitely needs professional help to deal with her instability. I hope she recognizes her problem and seeks out a counselor!

As for you, if you haven't already then I think you will soon find yourself dealing with a lot less stress and unnecessary aggrivation! Take what you've learned from this experience and apply it yourself and to your next relationship. Good luck!

Closed Thread