It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• How can I dump my girlfriend?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
    keatis
    (male)

keatis HB User
    How can I dump my girlfriend?

I've met somebody else online and met her a couple times and we both feel like we wanna be together. I love my girlfriend but not like that. I've been with her for 6 months but I've always thought of her as just a close friend. She loves me more than anything though and would literally, well...most likely, hurt herself (she's a cutter) or I don't know what she would do because she has major depression and been in a psych ward like me. I still definitely wanna be close friends with her because I'd definitely miss her but I just don't know how she would take it. She knows I've been seeing another girl but I told her she's just a friend and she looked on my cell phone reading my messages to the other girl that said I wanna kiss her (which I recently did) and all. I keep telling my girlfriend she's just a friend because I'm too scared to dump her.

What could I do???

Last edited by keatis; 06-04-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: How can I dump my girlfriend?

you're just going to have to be honest with her. she's the only one responsible for her actions, and it's not your fault if she decides to do something self-destructive. you can't be held hostage in a relationship that you don't want to be in because you're afraid of what she might do.......
    that borders on manipulation (on her part).
    just be honest with her....and don't string her along.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
    ILYF
    Inactive
    (female)

ILYF HB User

Stop playing games! You can't have it both ways...You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't just keep up a show because you're afraid that the GF is going to hurt herself. Do you really think that she wants to be your friend while you move on to be with someone else? I suppose that would work for a couple people but don't expect it! It certainly wouldn't work with me! Nor would I want to be the new GF with you hanging onto the old GF!!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
    Larrylou'smom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

You're not doing this girl any favors by lying to her. Now you are going to have to tell her the truth, and as if it's not bad enough to learn that you've fallen in love with someone else and you don't love her, she's going to have to also learn that you've been lying to her all this time, telling her this other girl is just a friend when youv'e known all along that she's not just a friend. You have to stop lying to her. Do you know any of her friends or her family/parents? Tell her, preferably in person, give her the respect of telling her in person, that while you care for her and love her as a friend, you want to be with this other girl, and then tell her friends and family that you had to break up with her and that she will probably need their support. While it's not your fault that she's unstable and could hurt herself, it's never good to continue a lie in these situations. Respect her enough to be honest with her, and do what you can to make sure someone is looking out for her so that she doesn't hurt herself. But please stop lying to her. Eventually you wil have to tell her the truth, or she will find out on her own, and trust me, finding out that the man you love lied to you is as bad if not worse than finding out he doesn't love you anymore, or never really did.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I agree with the others. Be honest. If she threatens to hurt herself, you might want to tell someone (a friend of hers, family, someone). But don't let her keep you in a relationship where you are unhappy.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
    keatis
    (male)

keatis HB User

Thanks a lot guys...er girls. I appreciate your suggestions. I know I have to be open and honest with her. I'm gonna do my best. Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

The more you prolong it, the more it will hurt her. she should have ended it when you told her you kissed another girl!!

Honesty is always the best policy, even if it does hurt sometimes. Its best for all of you in the long run.

As others said, you're not responsible for what she does to herself. Just be truthful.

Closed Thread