It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• I am tired of being lonely in my own home...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
    JCoggin
    (male)

JCoggin HB User
    I am tired of being lonely in my own home...

I have been faithfully married for 18 years and have two living daughters 11 and 7, our first daughter was stillborn at 40 weeks in 1996….My wife was a stay at home mom from 1997 until 2006, she now works as the school nurse at my older daughter’s school…

My current situation began back in 1999 – 2000 when our oldest daughter started sleeping in our bed...I was the one that eventually moved to the “other end of the house” and that is where I remain today, hence the reason I am here…I have actually moved back into the master bedroom but now my wife sleeps with our 7 year old. She says that she does this because our daughter is a bed-wetter and she sleeps with her so that she can get her up during the night to use the bathroom…

Needless to say this living arrangement has rendered our love life to nothing. To be quite honest there is absolutely no intimacy or anything in our marriage whatsoever, nothing…This arrangement does not seem to bother my wife because she feels that her only responsibility is to take care of the kids, VERY overprotective which I am sure comes from losing our first daughter as well as multiple miscarriages….Meanwhile I go to bed every night alone and wake up that way, I am past the point of being fed up with this arrangement. I have worked very hard to be an excellent provider for my family and have stayed 100% faithful to my wife. I just feel like I am being taken advantage of to be quite honest. I need to feel loved by my wife because she is the only family that I have, both of my parents are deceased and I have no siblings. Am I being unreasonable thinking that things should be different? We do not argue about this because I simply keep it all to myself. My wife is very soft hearted and gets her feelings hurt very easily.

I guess I could ramble on here for hours but I am sure that you all get the idea. Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I can tell you that there is no way she would ever go for counseling due to some bad experiences after losing our first baby.

Thanks in advance for the help….

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
    BigRed54
    Veteran
    (female)

BigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB UserBigRed54 HB User
    Re: I am tired of being lonely in my own home...

There is no way you should have to settle for that type of a life. No one deserves that. I would guess it does have a little to do with your wife's miscarriage, but 12 years is a long time to carry that guilt. It sounds like your wife would benefit from therapy if she hasn't had any in the past. She has become complacent with the way things are, and is doing your girls absolutely NO good acting this way. They need to grow up to learn to solve their own problems, live their own lives, and she is holding them back.

Can you try to broach the subject gently with her, let her know it is hurting you to live this way and that you would like her to go to counseling with you? I'm not really sure what would be the best way to approach this, especially since you say she's very tender hearted. But you should not have to walk on egg shells, and should never have to hold your own concerns or feelings inside. That's not a marriage, that's a prison.

If you guys have a family doctor that you both see, maybe you could make an appointment and discuss it with him. Or a minister if you attend church? Good luck!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
    GJ777
    (male)

GJ777 HB User

I don't know what to tell you about your wife, but I want to share this:

I grew up in a household where my parents had no intimacy. My Father slept in the master bedroom and my Mother slept in a different room. They didn't love one another anymore, they had no intimacy (they didn't even kiss, hold hands or hug) and I'm confident that my Father was seeing other people. They were emotionally separated and the only reason they didn't physically separate was become of money.

Please, do not do this. I still attribute this situation (with others as well) as the major contributor to why I have such a hard time with relationships. I'm not going to psychoanalyze myself here, but I know that my parents' rift is a large reason why I have a hard time with women. I'm not a psychiatrist so I will refrain from attempting to explain the damage or impact it had on me because I lack the credibility to advise you. But I will say that this sort of arrangement can have a terrible impact not only on you, but on your children, as well.

I really hope you can repair your marriage, but if you can't, I hope you'll consider what I've said. Please don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do. I only want to share my story as it may help.

Last edited by GJ777; 01-15-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
    BeaTrade
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

You don't have a wife, you have a roommate...or should I say "house mate".

Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
    redsoxgirl2418
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

redsoxgirl2418 HB Userredsoxgirl2418 HB User

Over this period of time, have you ever brought this up with your wife? Back when your oldest started sleeping in your bed? Does your wife have any idea how you feel about it?

My other question would be, have you tried ways to rekindle the relationship with your wife? And i'm not just talking about sex....do you help her out around the house and with the kids, spend time with her, have you tried planning dates or brought her little gifts, flowers, etc.? I'm not trying to blame you for this, I'm just asking questions. I put myself in the place of your wife and the only thing that would make me act the way she is acting (not that I would do what she did, I prefer talking things out...) would be if my husband wasn't pulling his weight, wasn't treating me well, wasn't paying attention to me...things like that. Is it possible that there was something missing from your relationship before you realized it? At the very least, the lack of communication in your marriage is a huge problem. You need to find a way to talk to your wife about this if you want to fix it. Don't be afraid to hurt her feelings, just approach it as you want to fix the relationship. My advice would be to arrange to have a night/weekend without the kids, send them to grandma's or to a friend's house, make a nice dinner for your wife or take her out somewhere nice, and talk to her in a non confrontational way about things that have happened and suggest ways to change.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

if your wife is over protective of the kids then it may be hard for her to comfortably leave them for a weekend or even a might without her feeling anxious. If she is anxious then it's not necessary a conducive atmosphere to discuss your feelings.

If I was your wife I might be feeling a need to protect your daughters and see it souly as my responsibility. Try sharing that role with her, reassuring her that you believe in her and her parenting style. Help her to believe in your love and loyalty and when she is feeling secure, you need to talk to her about your needs (and you must do this) but don't blame her. Yes her feeling will be hurt, but your feelings are hurt at the moment and yet you are still there and committed, trust her to be the same....

I had a miscarriage three years ago and I still feel it heavily. I remember that child...

J

Last edited by jsfai; 01-15-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
    resolution09
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Did your wife like sex before you had the children? If she enjoyed it before, I'd say you have a shot at fixing things and shouldn't have accepted this quietly for so long.

To be honest, I think she's using the kids as a buffer to keep things the way they are.

Most women aren't really that stupid where men and the need for sex is concerned. And I really doubt she's oblivious to your needs. She's just happy you're not bringing it up.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

I can understand the wife wanting to be there to see that your daughter goes to the bathroom, kinda trainning her form bed wetting.
    thats all good but how long does it take?
    Ask your wife for you and your daughter to go see a Dr about the bed wetting ect,,ect,,, having your daughter to sleep with you guys don't seem like a good Ideal to me...only in storms and scary nights do they do that ec,,ect,,,

,but how long does it take to do that? THE TRAINNING FOR BED WETTING?
    if your wife is kind hearted then simply let her know how this makes you feel and you want the intimacy back in your life, let her know she is the most beautiful woman in your life and you want to make wild passionate love to her eve once in a while.
    talk to her and let her know your feelings and you been patience, surely she can see that!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
    pugmom1
    (female)

pugmom1 HB User

This situation sounds like it is harmful for your children as well as for you. Why did your wife allow your oldest daughter to sleep in your bed? Even with the youngest daughter, there is a better way to address her bedwetting problem than to have her sleep in bed with your wife. Seriously, your wife's behavior is destructive to your marriage, but this could also cause lasting problems for your daughters. I think that you need to address this with your wife, and perhaps suggest (gently) counseling?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
    JCoggin
    (male)

JCoggin HB User

Thanks for the replys so far...I know that I have a mess on my hands and it helps me to hear a third party opinion...

JC

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Overall, there are several red flags up in your household. Your wife is obviously holding onto the children too tightly, and the children are only following what they are being exposed to as "normal" behavior.

You are the on in the house that is needs to make the first move to repair things. This is for the sake of your children, who are certainly at risk here...as well as for you and your wife. The whole thing is greatly out of balance, and I would seek out family therapy to help get it straightened out.

Best to you and your entire family...

Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
    resolution09
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCoggin View Post
    Thanks for the replys so far...I know that I have a mess on my hands and it helps me to hear a third party opinion...

JC
    Try to remember that it is a fixable mess if you are so inclined. If you read here a while you'll see that a lot of people are starting from a much weaker position.

Closed Thread