It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Girlfriend has cold sore.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
    Pilky
    (male)

Pilky HB User
    Girlfriend has cold sore.

My current girlfriend of 4 months just broke out with a cold sore. I was very concerned at first and did not know what to do. I asked her if she ever had one before and she said no. I did some research online and from my understanding they are very common and that alot of people have them since child hood.

My question now is, when this is healed up, is it safe to kiss her? Is there a test that i could take to know if i myself hav HSV-1?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
    cathy1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User
    Re: Girlfriend has cold sore.

You might want to post on the Herpes board located on here. Herpes is very contagious when the person is coming down with it (prodome), while they have it and until the scab falls off. It also sheds the virus at times even when there is no sign or symptoms of the coldsore.

There are tests but I'm not that familar with them but they can tell if you have the antibodies (which means you've been exposed at some point) in your body.

Last edited by cathy1; 02-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
    Pilky
    (male)

Pilky HB User

Mods can you move this to the appropriate section please.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
    matter of time
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

matter of time HB User

You are right, most people are infected with the cold sore virus but many don't have symptoms and don't know it. People do generally kiss when not having outbreaks without concern of spreading it (even though it is possible). You can have a blood test to see if you already carry the virus.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
    Mary83
    Veteran
    (female)

Mary83 HB UserMary83 HB UserMary83 HB UserMary83 HB UserMary83 HB UserMary83 HB User

Cold sores really aren't that big of a deal. Yeah, they suck, but the word HERPES freaks people out, and relate it to genital herpes, which is completely unrelated.

Anyway, you very likely will not get the virus when she doesn't have a "break out". Just don't kiss her or share any germs with her while she has the sore. Other than that, you're fine. I got my first cold sore when I was 18 and didn't get another one until I was 25. I haven't had another one since. Many people carry the virus but never actually get a cold sore from it.

Just remember, and tell your girlfriend, it's VERY common and although annoying, it's really not a big deal.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
    cathy1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

Be careful as the cold sore on the lip (HSV1 )can give you genital herpes if there is direct contact during prodome and until the scab falls off.

Last edited by cathy1; 02-13-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Closed Thread