It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• soulmates and cheating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
    littlegoddess
    (female)

littlegoddess HB User
    soulmates and cheating

is it possible for true soulmates to cheat on each other?? i would have thought that this would be impossible if two people really believed they WERE soulmates to even entertain the idea of infidelity??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: soulmates and cheating

Being somebody's soulmate doesn't necessarily make one a good or honest person. Many people have found true love with a totally awful person and they cannot do without each other. I think a soulmate who is dishonorable will cheat just like anyone else.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Seraph,is right on the money. Though I do want to add that it isnt just awful people that cheat. I have seen the "nice guy" turn into a cheater. The same goes for the "nice girl."
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
    littlegoddess
    (female)

littlegoddess HB User

but surely "not being able to do without each other" doesnt necessarily indicate a loving healthy mutually respectful relationship - and a relationship that IS those things surely cant contain cheating??

Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #5
    Tivo123
    Inactive
    (female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

First of all, there's no such thing as "soul mates". That's a fairy tale just like the seven dwarves. Secondly, if there were, you can bet that if someone really believed they were someone's soulmate, no matter how deluded they may be, they wouldn't go off and cheat on that other person.

So, if you thought someone was your soulmate and they have cheated on you, then they were definitely NOT your soulmate in the first place.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
    Larrylou'smom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlegoddess View Post
    but surely "not being able to do without each other" doesnt necessarily indicate a loving healthy mutually respectful relationship - and a relationship that IS those things surely cant contain cheating??
    I think just because someone is your "soul mate" doesn't mean they won't cheat on you. And it is a reach that they are your soul mate in the first place. I do believe in soul mates, totally, I just believe having a soul mate is like having a great singing voice or being able to dance well enough to be a professional, or having a mathematical mind like Einstein. It's a gift that some people get and some people just don't.

But I read an interesting article a little while back about how some people are just hardwired to cheat. It's a glitch in their brain chemistry that affects a certain part of their inhibition. Some people just can't help it. Also, I just think right and wrong and doing right by your fellow man is just becoming more and more passe with each generation.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
    pendulum
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tivo123 View Post
    First of all, there's no such thing as "soul mates". That's a fairy tale just like the seven dwarves. Secondly, if there were, you can bet that if someone really believed they were someone's soulmate, no matter how deluded they may be, they wouldn't go off and cheat on that other person.

So, if you thought someone was your soulmate and they have cheated on you, then they were definitely NOT your soulmate in the first place.
    I agree with Tivo on this one. I believe in friendship and honesty, but not much in soulmates. However, you could use the term in an affectionate way with someone you love and have been together for a long time, but without the implication that they are faultless.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
    Larrylou'smom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
    I agree with Tivo on this one. I believe in friendship and honesty, but not much in soulmates. However, you could use the term in an affectionate way with someone you love and have been together for a long time, but without the implication that they are faultless.
    The term "soul mate" does NOT imply that the person is faultless or flawless, just that that person is right for you, more right for you than anyone else you could imagine being with. I do believe in soul mates, very much, but like I said, not everyone has one, and if someone hurts you repeatedly, then that person probably is not your soul mate, no matter how much you may love them.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
    pendulum
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Larrylou'smom View Post
    The term "soul mate" does NOT imply that the person is faultless or flawless, just that that person is right for you, more right for you than anyone else you could imagine being with. I do believe in soul mates, very much, but like I said, not everyone has one, and if someone hurts you repeatedly, then that person probably is not your soul mate, no matter how much you may love them.
    Ok, thank you. I am not sure if I can talk to you directly, LLM. Maybe my post will be deleted. In this case, I will talk to the Littlegoddess instead.

Littlegoddess, I find it unfair that not everybody is entitled to have a soulmate. Why not? If all of us are souls, why do only some have the privilege?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Obviously their perception of being 'soul mates' was mistaken.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
    littlegoddess
    (female)

littlegoddess HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
    Obviously their perception of being 'soul mates' was mistaken.

i agree!!!

whether or not the concept of soulmates is real or imagined, what i believe is that if i believed i WAS with my soulmate, cheating on that person would be incompatible with that belief surely.

context is that i have a friend who believes they are with their soulmate, yet BOTH have cheated on each other, so i find their belief bizarre!!! especially as the infidelity is ongoing!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
    cathy1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

I know that people will meet a person and have an instant connection with them and feel crazy love for them and assume that it's because they've found their "soulmate". Sometimes I think it's an idealization of what they think they've found as a "perfect love". Then when this relationship falls apart they can't believe that this soulmate could possibly do this them. Their image of this perfect union somehow united in the "stars" has now become catastrophic.

I think many people simply are so madly in love with someone that they label them their soulmate. Then when they cheat on them, in their minds it's worse then anything they could possibly imagine. It's not only the person that cheated on them, but now its the one person in their mind that was the perfect person in the universe for them.

Last edited by cathy1; 02-26-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
    GypsyArcher
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GypsyArcher HB User

Quote:
    i have a friend who believes they are with their soulmate, yet BOTH have cheated on each other, so i find their belief bizarre!!! especially as the infidelity is ongoing!!!
    They do sound like soul mates, actually.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
    Larrylou'smom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
    Littlegoddess, I find it unfair that not everybody is entitled to have a soulmate. Why not? If all of us are souls, why do only some have the privilege?
    Why don't we all gt to be Angelina Jolie? No one said life was fair. But I've been around married couples, and even a few couples who weren't even married yet, and they seem to just tolerate each other. They don't even seem to be on the same wavelength. It seems to me these peopel choose to be together. But then I have two friends who married this past summer, and they are soooo on the same wavelength. They agree with each other 90% of the time regarding world views, values, even musical taste, and how they like to spend their spare time, and they have so much love and respect for each other, you can just feel it being around them. They have very similar temperaments, are both mellow, but they never get crazy at the same time. When one is stressed and a bit at loose ends, the other is strong and steps up. They are the same in all the right ways, and different in all the right ways. I had the privilege of singing at their wedding and I told them that some people choose to be together and some people are SUPPOSED to be together, and you are in the latter group. I totally and absolutely believe they are soul mates.

But as far as your friends, littlegoddess, it seems to me these people are not really soul mates so much as two people who just deserve each other.

Last edited by Larrylou'smom; 02-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Closed Thread