It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• How to cope with a angry boyfriend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
    Katty1986
    (female)

Katty1986 HB User
    How to cope with a angry boyfriend

My boyfriend has a split personality, sometimes he is lovely, but other times flys off the handle over anything. He does not have different levels of anger - it is all or nothing. When he is angry he threatens me, calls me horrible names and downgrades me. He also punches the wall or throws things. Most of the time he gets angry because he says a nag him or don't make any effect to make him happy, but im not a naggy person. He is also very jealous and possessive over me and hates me going out with friends. What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
    soarer2
    (female)

soarer2 HB User
    Re: How to cope with a angry boyfriend

My husband is like this and I'm not sure what to do about it either. He is always getting on me about my being overweight and how I eat too much or how I have spent too much money. I basically can't do anything right in his eyes and it gets hard to take sometimes.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
    VERYUNHAPPY
    (female)

VERYUNHAPPY HB User

Leave now when he is just a boyfriend.....before you have kids. Love is blind! Too late for me but you still have time..........

Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
    krazy2day
    (female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katty1986 View Post
    When he is angry he threatens me, calls me horrible names and downgrades me. He also punches the wall or throws things. he says a nag him or don't make any effect to make him happy, He is also very jealous and possessive over me and hates me going out with friends.
    ALL traits of an abusive person (especially blaming 'you' for HIS ill behavior).

Ask yourself... "Do I deserve to be treated this way?"

If your answer is 'no' then start making your plan to be on your own, leave him and NEVER look back (as few truly change, they're too busy blaming others).

Its not easy to leave someone you love. And you can love him with all your heart but still need to leave him. This is why a plan is so important. It will empower you. You wont be stuck in his web of misery, instead you will be experiencing ALL of what life has to offer.

Without a plan these people tend to (somehow) take your soul. They make you believe YOUR actions or behaviors cause them to be the way they are. And you stay -to work things out. Before you know it, you'll be tip-toeing around his life and missing out on YOUR own. (Youre probably doing this now.)

Most behaviors like his escalate? Throwing things turn into pinning you against the wall (or worse). They lack self control... you could be hurt/killed. Please say children are not part of this equation.

Your plan s/b built on "how to leave" (if youre living together). If youre not living together, just plan how to avoid him, what to do if you feel like calling him (cuz that happens too) etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
    Katty1986
    (female)

Katty1986 HB User

Thank you for all your advice..its a hard situation i imagine when you are married and have kids..its so hard to make people change.
    My boyfriend is now going to anger management, and he said it really helps him understand, though im keeping my distance for the moment. He knows he has a problem, though whether he can control it is another matter.
    Thanks again!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
    kitchener12
    (female)

kitchener12 HB User

PLease think long and hard about this relationship, I was involved with a real charmer when I was younger...it wasn't until many bad things started to happen that I finally saw the light, it was hard to leave but vital for my survival...I do believe people can change BUT you don;t want to risk your life to find out..right? There are plently of nice guys out there

Old 03-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

The best advice I have found for people is the hardest advice. No one can tell you what to do, they can tell you what you should do, but that is easy. The bottom line here is turn it around. If you was on the outside looking in and a family member or close friend was in the situation what would your advice be to her. What advice you give is what your answer is to your own problem. I know easier said than done. I to am going through my own relationship issues and i know what the outcome of advice should be, but putting it into action is the hard part. I wish you luck. Always remember you can never get back the years you lost wasting on trying to help someone as you lost yourself.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
    krazy2day
    (female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolejaly View Post
    Always remember you can never get back the years you lost wasting on trying to help someone as you lost yourself.
    So true...

Its nice that hes in anger mgmt.. maybe he will learn something.. at least he is trying. He has to unlearn behaviors and break habits which certainly doesnt happen over night. Good luck to you both Kat (keep your guard up though, make your plan)

Closed Thread