It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Is it hard to tell a girl she's pretty?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
    chocolate29
    Veteran
    (female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
    Is it hard to tell a girl she's pretty?

I'm just curious.

Say there is a guy who likes this girl. He is a little nervous around her-not very nervous, just "I like her" nervous. (hope you understand that)
    Is it hard for guys to give girls that they like, compliments?
    Is it hard for a guy to tell her she is pretty?

Sorry if this sounds like an odd question.

Last edited by chocolate29; 05-21-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: oops

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
    melody2181
    (female)

melody2181 HB User
    Re: Is it hard to tell a girl she's pretty?

hello a girl really appreciates lovely comments and if a guy tells her lovely comments such as she is pretty there is definatly nothing wrong with that actually i think its very mature for a guy to do so im a girl and i love lovely comment of my husband it dont make him any less of a man he he is shoiwing his sensitive side and girls love that so i hope this helps x

Old 05-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

In this day and age, perhaps he is afraid she will accuse him of stalking or harassment LOL. But, yes, this situation could tie up a shy guy's tongue. Perhaps she could prompt him, like "How do you like my new hairdo, dress, lipstick?" That may open the door. Cheers, Sera.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
    chocolate29
    Veteran
    (female)

Thank you Seraph

I find that he looks at me quite intently, but he never makes any moves. I think he might be shy.
    I'm just trying to figure out where his head is at. A lot of times it seems that he wants to say something, but he stops himself or just doesn't seem to have the nerve I guess.
    I've left a few doors open for him, but it didn't work so that is why I'm wondering if guys (who are sorta shy) have a hard time with that stuff.
    I think they do.
    Aw.......
    Anyone else? anything? You can just throw your thoughts out.

Last edited by chocolate29; 05-21-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added a thank you, fixed a word

Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

well yeah he must be shy, do you want him to tell you your pretty?
    he could say something else to you like hey you want to go get a coke or grab some lunch, ect,,ect,,

I'm not sure where you guys are when you meet but on any occasion it would be decent exspecially if your both single!
    make small talk first then let him tell you your pretty... if you leave the door open for him maybe you need to push a little harder...you know nudge nudge, some times shy guys have to be coached.
    if you get to talking to him and you guys seem to hit it off (connect) then after that I bet he won't be so shy

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
    mottled dove
    (male)

mottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB Usermottled dove HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melody2181 View Post
    hello a girl really appreciates lovely comments and if a guy tells her lovely comments such as she is pretty there is definatly nothing wrong with that actually i think its very mature for a guy to do so im a girl and i love lovely comment of my husband it dont make him any less of a man he he is shoiwing his sensitive side and girls love that so i hope this helps x
    And that, in my opinion, is where the disappointment may come from. Let's not forget the op, this is a guy who fancies you and would want to date you. He likes you, yet you have a husband. He wants to tell you you're pretty in hopes there can be some progress in the flirting process. He doesn't want merely an "aww, thank you. you're sweet." He wants to put himself on your mind as someone that likes you in hopes that you'll put yourself on his mind as someone who could possibly like him back. Maybe not in that same moment, of course, but in time. Unfortunately, his effort is futile because you are, in fact, married.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying such to a woman, married or not. But the motivation is the concern. It's definitely a lot easier for men in relationships than it is for men LOOKING to be in one.

Here are a few questions I have:
    What kind of responses do women who are in relationships give to men who pay them such compliments as "you're beautiful/pretty/etc"? Do women have some kind of coded response that is supposed to let the guy know "thanks, but I'm unavailable" without being blatant about it? When women respond, are they hoping to get that message across, or do they just accept it as a compliment coming from a guy who isn't necessarily hoping to spark some interest?

Thinking about my typical response to women who've complimented me for my looks, I realize I simply don't see that as some kind of pick-up line. My typical response is a smile and thanks. I think people in general are that way. I guess you'd have to be DESPERATELY in search of a mate to be too afraid to tell someone they're good looking in some respectable fashion.

Last edited by mottled dove; 05-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
    BCboy
    Inactive
    (male)

BCboy HB User

IMO it is really tough these days to know what is "right" to say. I personally feel every women takes things like this different. For us men it is hard to know because we don't know your status, attitude ect..

I know some women like a compliment and some think your some type of wierdo! LOL I have had women accept a compliment, look at me like I am Charles Manson, get offended ect.. It's tough!

Some guys like me are only shy when we are interested and first trying to get something going. I know this usually turns you ladies off, FME you like the arrogant cocksure types but initial shyness is not a bad thing IMO.

FME if the women thinks your attractive or she is interested she will take the compliment, but if she thinks your hideous or she is taken she will rebute it with a put down at worst or thanks but no thanks at best.

If you like him and he is shy why don't you ask him out?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
    chocolate29
    Veteran
    (female)

Chevyman: Oh yes, of course I'd like to hear that. What girl doesn't? lol....I'm just trying to figure out where his head is at. He doesn't talk much, but I'm trying to get him to talk. I think he is shy.

Hollaatchaboy: I've heard that before. Someone I know said that if he were to give a compliment to some girl he honestly feels that she'll think he's like a stalker or something! I've gotten a few compliments from total strangers before and I've NEVER got weirded out by that. Just being told something nice? Who doesn't like that? And NO, shyness never ever turns me off. I can't stand arrogant men. I think being somewhat shy is attractive and endearing.
    Maybe I will ask him out, we'll see.

thanks guys

Old 05-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
    chevyman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chevyman HB User

you know its funny ''hollaachatboy'' mention that
    I think it just depends how a woman takes a compliment.

I remember a long time ago me and a male friend was sitting in my car in a wal-mart parking lot and he dared me to tell a chick that parked right beside us (she was wearing shot shorts) and yeah she looked fine, he dared me to tell her she had beautiful legs...so I did and she said well thank you are you married or taken? how about meeting me for a drink..and all I was doing was just doing a dare....on the other hand I've told women that there pretty and they look at me like I'm a nut.....I maybe but I don't tell anyone thats my little secret! eh!

so you just never trully know how women will react.

Closed Thread