It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• What is bipolar and how can i tell if my mom has it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
    tootal2
    (male)

tootal2 HB User
    What is bipolar and how can i tell if my mom has it?

My mom can stay mad for days and then become super nice. Is that bipolar? And it dont take much to set her off.

My dad says she stays mad for 5 days at a time now and then becomes nice.

I have no plans to tell her she is bipolar. She would get very upset if i told her that. and i dont live with her

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
    Llama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Llama HB User
    Re: What is bipolar and how can i tell if my mom has it?

None of us are doctors here, but it doesn't seem to be bipolar in this case. Then again we don't know the severity of the situation either. But from what you said it doesn't sound like bipolar disorder. You should read the Bipolar Disorder Primer at the top of this message board to get more of an idea of what the symptoms of bipolar disorder look like.
    Wellbutrin xl 450mg
    Lexapro 10mg
    Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
    My mom can stay mad for days and then become super nice. Is that bipolar? And it dont take much to set her off.

My dad says she stays mad for 5 days at a time now and then becomes nice.

I have no plans to tell her she is bipolar. She would get very upset if i told her that. and i dont live with her
    I'm not a doctor, but from what you've described, it does not sound as if your mother has bipolar.

Many people erroneously assume that one of the primary symptoms of bipolar is anger when this is not true.

A person must also experience extreme happiness, excitement, restlessness, irritability, difficulty concentrating, rapid speech, flight of ideas (where the things a person says do not make sense), grandiose ideas, psychosis/delusions/paranoia (the latter are all indicative of severe mania).

They also experience depressive episodes where they feel severely depressed to the point they do not eat or eat too much, sleep too lilttle or too much and/or withdraw from others.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

No matter what anybody thinks, a diagnosis of any Mental Illness can only be made by a qualified Doctor, after a thorough evaluation, and a reliable patient history.

Bipolar Disorder is a complicated illness, which should not be tossed around as a home diagnosis...in my opinion.

Best to you and your family

Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
    murfalurph101
    (female)

murfalurph101 HB User

I'm experiencing the same thing with my mother. She'll have episodes where she's really nice and happy and then she'll just get incredibly pessimistic and verbally attack my father and myself. I once asked her if she thought she was depressed or perhaps bipolar and she got angry and defensive. I'd suggest talking to your father about talking to her as a family and trying to figure out what's wrong. And I agree, bipolar disorder isn't a term that should just be "tossed around" but we don't know what's wrong with our parents and at least for me and probably in this case too, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
    electric blue
    (female)

electric blue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
    I'm not a doctor, but from what you've described, it does not sound as if your mother has bipolar.

Many people erroneously assume that one of the primary symptoms of bipolar is anger when this is not true.

A person must also experience extreme happiness, excitement, restlessness, irritability, difficulty concentrating, rapid speech, flight of ideas (where the things a person says do not make sense), grandiose ideas, psychosis/delusions/paranoia (the latter are all indicative of severe mania).

They also experience depressive episodes where they feel severely depressed to the point they do not eat or eat too much, sleep too lilttle or too much and/or withdraw from others.
    Hi electric blue here. I agree with dreams in neon. The best thing to do is for you in my opinion, is to ask your father to get your mum to a doctor. It could be hormonal. Dreams has explained all the symptoms of bp but a doctor will do all the necessary blood tests to check hormone levels etc. If they come back level, then i would ask your father to ensure he/she sends your mother for further testing. Otherwise, i would stay out of things and let your father handle it, but get info from him to keep you in the loop so your mother, if she does have bp, won't feel that she is being judged - another bp symptom in some of us. Just go softly and quietly in order to help her and don't take it personally. It's nothing you've done ok? Good luck and let us know what happens. We're here to support you.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
    thelmavr
    (female)

thelmavr HB User

All I can say is that my mom is bipolar and I dont live with her, she is 56 and I am 36. I dont know how to handle her anymore. Its been almost 7 years and it is still very difficult. My dad feels like walking out but he is staying out of sense of duty and responsibility. She is permantly paranoid and think we are all out to get her for some reason. "nobody loves me" attitude. Good luck!

Closed Thread