It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Please help me! I want to help my wife.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
    sebatorress
    (male)

sebatorress HB User
    Please help me! I want to help my wife.

Hi, my name is Sebastian, and I have a question for you:
    If some one who has never drink even coffe (only a few times) before, starts drinking a can of red bull every day for one and a half months, can become addicted to it?
    I know that energy drinks affect the nervous system. My wife starts drinking so. Now she wants to quit, and she is felling the abstinence symptoms. She acts like a "zombie" the last 5 days, since she don't drink it. I want her back as she where before she started with this bad habit, full of energy and joy. She wants to be happy again too without the need of that legal drug in his mind.
    Is it too late? can the drink perform some irreversible change in his nervous system in 1 and 1/2 moths? If not (hope God not) How long it takes until she's going to be the same again?
    Please help me, I'm desperate, I want her back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
    mindy1974
    (female)

mindy1974 HB User
    Re: Please help me! I want to help my wife.

take a deep breath ! she is going to be just fine! i was hooked of caffeine drinks for years. she might have a head ache or feel anxious or depressed when she stops, but she will e ok. encourage her in the morning, take her for a walk, make her a tasty carbonated drink to make up for the loss. just love her, and keep a positive attitude. people give up redbull all the time. its not going to hurt her its just a little hard to give up the tasty high it gives yu in the morning.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
    sebatorress
    (male)

sebatorress HB User

Thank you Derlinda, I love her so much that I shall do anything just to see her healthy again. We have been married for 5 years now, and I've never seen her like this before. I was worried about her. Now that you quit the energy drinks, don't you never feel some "need" for them, for example, when you have to work or you're tired?
    Anyway she's only be drinking it for a couple of months, a can a day or so. I'm sorry to ask, it's just to compare. How many canes did you used to drink in a day?
    Thank you again, I know I may over reacted to her problem, but as I say, I love her too much and I can see that anything bad happened to her.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
    mindy1974
    (female)

mindy1974 HB User

i had 3 a day!!!!!! so i cut back one can a week and it went fine. yes i do still at times want one, and sometimes i will have a energy drink but that only happens once a month or so. being tired and grumpy while you cut back is Normal, just love her and trust that she will be ok. give her a hug and a fun drink and watch her feel better in a few weeks...

Old 09-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
    MvingForwrd
    (female)

MvingForwrd HB User

I've never had a Red Bull, so I don't know much about the drink, but I would imagine that the addictive ingredient in it is caffeine. Caffiene can be quite addictive (I once had a friend who got addicted to Mountain Dew). As with any drug, I would think tapering down would help. Instead of one can a day, drink 3/4 can, then 1/2 can, and so on.

Your wife is really lucky to have such a supportive husband. It's tough to fight any addiction on your own. With someone to help her through it, she'll be okay. It might take a little time, but she can come down from this stuff.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Like derlinda said, take a deep breath and your wife will be fine. I seriously doubt that and Energy Drink can cause damage to a person's nervous system, but a person's body can get used to caffeine, just like any other drug. Your wife is already into here 5th day, so tapering probably won't help her now and she is probably feeling the rebound effect of not having the caffeine in her body. I'm surprised that she didn't get bad headaches. If I don't have a cup of coffee or caffeine drink in the morning, by late afternoon I have a massive headache. She should be fine in a few days as her body reprograms itself to function w/o the extra stimulants in her body. She might want to try taking some B-complex vitamins also. Red Bull and the other energy drinks are high in the B's. Like anything else, moderation is the name of the game.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

It's amazing how strong caffeine can be. I used to drink a ton of soda. Without even realizing it I had to have it. I began to get headaches if I hadn't had it in so many hours and I was getting way more headaches than I had ever had before. I had two bad experiences that made me swear off caffeine. One was where we were working in the yard and I guess lost track of time. Before I knew it I had this killer headache. Next I ended up getting sick over the balcony and even though I was very dirty from working in the yard, I had to lie down. MY husband brought me some soda and within an hour I was fine. The next was when I had minor surgery. It was supposed to be in the morning but I didn't go back until later in the afternoon. I couldn't have anything to eat or drink and by the time I woke from the surgery I had that horrible headache. As soon as my eyes were open I was asking for a diet coke. By this point it was interferring with my life and I slowly cut back day by day until I was off of it. It's been 7 years and I don't miss it at all.

Melissa

Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
    sebatorress
    (male)

sebatorress HB User

Thank you all for your advices, really. Thank God, she is getting better. She is recovering fast, I know I have a strong lady by my side! She still sleeps A LOT more than usual, and she is having bad headhaches, but she's going to be fine.
    I'm giving her a special treatment: Some foot massage, husband-made breakfasts, and the most important: lots of love!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
    MvingForwrd
    (female)

MvingForwrd HB User

Sebatorress, I think you are husband of the year for taking such good care of your wife. I'm so glad to hear that she's starting to feel better.

Foot massages seem to help with rebound headaches. I'm going through them right now, and there have been a few nights when I couldn't get to sleep because the headaches were so bad. My husband gave me a foot massage, and the headache went away! There must be some nerves in the feet that are connected to the neck/head area. Not sure, but it really helped a LOT.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
    sebatorress
    (male)

sebatorress HB User

Well, no way husband of the year! haha. Actually I get really angry when she confessed me of her addiction, It's incredible how that sh**t can control a person's mind. I mean then when I told he to stop, she did'nt want to hear me, she gets mad with me. It took me a couple of days until I made her realize that she had a problem, and then she changes her attitude for good. She full quits since a week now, I know she's not drinking in secret because we talk about it a lot and she is sorry for what she did. As I said, now she is feeling fine, despite some headhatches. She's not even drinking coffe! only a can of black tee a day. I'm so proud of my baby. I'm only affraid that she'll be never 100% "herself" again, That this "thirst" for coffeine (that she is still feeling, despite she's better now) will never leave her completely, even when she is fully clean now. but I think that will not happened, I think she's going to be disgusted of energy drinks as I feel disgusted of alcohol now that I leave drinking since 5 years now. Yes, I went there before, and I know my beautiful gray eyes angel is strong, stronger than me.
    Well, thanks again to you people for the chat, I wish you best of lucks.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Well, it sounds like you are a good example of how to remain strong after kicking an addiction. That is great that you have not had a drink in 5 years. I think your wife will appreciate it more and more as she recovers. Tea is better for you anyway. :-) Bine făcut!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
    sebatorress
    (male)

sebatorress HB User

It's been about 2 weeks since she's clean, and I think she is over it now. She still have some light headaches from time to time, but she doesn't even want to hear about red bull! She's not drinking even coffee at the moment, only some black tee and coke, but not every day. I'm so proud of her! I my self, it's been a long time since I don't drink or smoke, and now since my wife incident I don't drink any coffee at all. And you now what? I feel great! I feel full of energy, more awake, more free without caffeine in my head.
    Denon, de unde eşti? Noi suntem din Oradea.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Translation: where are you? We are in Oradea. I don't speak Romanian, I just like to translate other people's languages. I'm in Mesa, Arizona.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #14
    sebatorress
    (male)

sebatorress HB User

Well it's been about a month now, she is better, but not 100% yet. She confessed me yesterday that she quits red bull, but she has a strong thirst of coffee 24 hs a day. She didn't drink it at all because I forbid her to do it, but she is becoming very irritable and a little bit depressed for this reason. Anyway, I can't allow her to drink coffee, I want her clean of any caffeine at all! Besides, she has develop a very serious gastritis case lattely, I don't know why. I thought that in 2 or 3 weeks she will be back to normal, but for her yesterday's confession I see she's not doing it that great. I wonder, how long this thirst for caffeine will last? I don't get why it's so hard for her, I totally quit caffeine about a couple of months ago, and I don't miss it at all, the same with alcohol and smokes, long ago. I thought she was stronger, I'm start to get tired of this. I will be patience with her, important thing is that she wants to get better, I just hope that this thirst ends ones for all. I don't need a addicted wife.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
    mindy1974
    (female)

mindy1974 HB User

the harder you come down on her the more she is going to want to hide from you. back off and just support her. you cant compare your stopping smoking and drinking to her having a hard time with coffee. give her a brake and she will heal on her own.
    sorry to be blunt but i had a boyfriend do that to me and i stopped trusting him with my real struggles.
    easy does it .

Closed Thread