It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

combination of treatments

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
olliecat
(male)

olliecat HB User
combination of treatments

Having had RLS for 20 to 30 years (before I even knew what it was) I have tried all sorts of methods to curb it short of actual prescribed drugs. As a result of combining several approaches I do seem to have minimised it quite a bit. I take iron and magnesium supplements alternately and a couple of years ago someone recommended tonic water because of the quinine content. It may be psychological but I can now go for days without any restless feetin my case RLS only ever affects my feet and then one foot at a time.) Recently I heard second hand from a judo instructor that lying flat on your back with your legs raised vertically against a wall helps to ease the onset of an attack. I was dubious but tried it when I did suffer RLS after I'd gone to bed. Five minutes with my legs raised and my heels pressed against the wall was as much as I could manage. I got back into bed unconvinced, but the next thing I knew was that I was waking up again hours later. Since then I've tried the same on infrequent occasions and it has worked almost every time. As well as easing RLS, it seems to help insomnia, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
Blacktea
(female)

Blacktea HB UserBlacktea HB User
Re: combination of treatments

Might I suggest that as long as you're taking iron that when you run out to try iron bisglycinate and to only take it about an hour before bed on an empty stomach away from all other supplements. I find that is all I need to control my RLS. There's a long explanation for why it works but the short version is that the RLS brain is an anemic brain and maybe due to that lack of brain iron or genetics scientists have found that we also have a lousy dopamine transport system. By day our blood stream has enough free unbound iron to keep those dopamine receptors humming along. But at night our blood iron levels drop and our pathetic dopamine receptors can come to a grinding halt. Those receptors facilitate in sending dopamine from the brain, down our spines to our peripheral nervous system (arms and legs) where it "quiets" them. I believe we literally have no brain iron reserves, whereas the non-RLS world does and can make a withdrawal at night if need be. That iron is like the grease or glue that helps bind dopamine to the receptors. Supposedly we with RLS have plenty of dopamine just bad dopamine receptors.

And maybe the magnesium is helping to pump up those pathetic receptors? I'm really not sure why magnesium helps but a lot of people claim it does. Fasting or severe calorie restriction allegedly increase the number and size of dopamine receptors. As well as anaerobic exercise. And possibly something called Uridine Monophosphate. It seems that anything that antagonizes dopamine stands the chance of building up the receptors or what's called up-regulating them. Makes sense if you think that we know for a fact that dopamine "agonists" such as Mirapex down-regulate our receptors in the long run.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
olliecat
(male)

olliecat HB User

Thanks for the reply, Blacktea. I'll try that when my current supply of (ordinary ) iron runs out. Certainly the combination of things that I currently try have minimised my suffering, if not ending it completely.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Blacktea
(female)

Blacktea HB UserBlacktea HB User

Holy cow, that's great!!! Hate to mess with success. A lot of people take ordinary iron (ferrous sulfate) but will take it with a little orange juice or vitamin c to facilitate absorption so then it's almost as good as the bisglycinate. Keep up the good work!!!

Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
ndavid1
(male)

ndavid1 HB User

As far as RLS is concerned, anything that works for you is good. I think it is a very strange condition indeed. I started with it 30 years ago when it only affected my legs. Now it is my legs, arms, and even my back. I am prescribed gabapentin which works very well for me right now. However, some people may not respond to this medication. This is certainly a disease that cannot be described as " one size fits all " . I have several conditions at my advanced age but RLS is definitely the worst thing I ever experienced ..

Reply Reply