It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• Blessed relief!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
    happylegs
    (male)

happylegs HB User
    Blessed relief!

I know this has already been mentioned here but I just wanted to relate my situation and if it can help anyone, great!
    I was having the restless legs mostly at night watching tv, not a big deal, didn't keep me awake at night or anything. Then a few months ago I started getting it quite badly during the day at work sitting at my desk. It was very uncomfortable. I was constantly having to stand and walk, stretch, bounce my legs under my desk, bascially it was starting to drive me crazy!
    So I spoke to a Dr. who works at my company and he said it sounded like Restless Leg Syndrome. I quickly looked this up on the internet and did some reasearch. I didn't much like what I found, that it is usually chronic, that many were trying parkinson drugs for it with iffy success! I was determined NOT going to get into taking those kinds of meds. Then I remembered my dad had this (deceased) and he had to take valium for it! Anyway, all the medical sites were talking about trying this and that drug with so so results.. Then I found a product claiming complete relief for it, called "Be Calm" on the internet. Problem was it said it promised complete relief but did not say what was IN it! So I called them and they told me it was just good old Magnesium! I thought there was no way it could be that easy. So I went to the health food store and got a liquid form of magnesium and calcium citrate together which equalled the same type of dose that the "Be Calm" was directing which is one tablespoon per day, about 300 MG of magnesium. Well, I bought this liquid citrate (flavored and tasty too!) and took it that night. Literally a couple of hours later I felt that my symptoms had diminshed to about 20% of normal. I took it in the morning (I took a teaspoon at night and in the morning) and at work all day, my symptoms were COMPLETELY GONE! I was shocked. I told that Dr. at my work about it and he said "well that's hard to believe, kind of embarrassing for the medical community isn't it?"
    So now I just take a teaspoon in the am and the pm (If I take much more I get the runs) and I am completely symptom free, period! I have been doing this now for about 3 weeks and it is just a godsend! I keep wondering why people continue to try antidepressants, parkinsons drugs and other drugs that are pretty heavy and have some pretty nasty side effects, if they have not first tried the Magnesium?
    If you have these symptoms, give the magnesium a try FIRST and if for some reason it does not help, try something more involved.

I would be interested to hear from people who tried Magnesium and did NOT get relief? Are there any out there the Mag did not work for??

Best of luck to all.. I am now truly a happylegs!

Last edited by happylegs; 01-12-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
    Michele12
    (female)

Michele12 HB User
    Re: Blessed relief!

I know! It's sooo simple. It's a magnesium deficiency! I'm so glad you didn't get hooked on VALIUM. When people are using these drugs, of course it helps for a little while because they drugged, then they have side effects from the drugs or the drugs don't work any more. So sad that is.
    I've heard from people who say the magnesium doesn't work it they don't take enough of it. If you are deficient you need more that 250 mg. Try 500 mg a night and if that still doesn't work, go up to 1000 mg and that should do it. And if it doesn't THEN go to a naturopath and find out what is going on with your body. Maybe you are lacking another mineral. But yes, how hard is it to just try magnesium? Some people think THAT's a scary drug or something. I don't know..
    Michele

Old 01-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
    happylegs
    (male)

happylegs HB User

As I said, I just take 2 "teaspoons" per day, so I guess I am getting just about 150mg is all, but as I said, I tried a tablespoon and it gave me the squirts! I am really symptom free at this point but I am thinking perhaps I could try to take 2 "teaspoons" at night just before bed and then 1 teaspoon in the am and see if that works ok. It really is amazing that the medical community has not seemed to jump on this, but how would the drug compaines make any money selling magnesium??

Old 01-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
    Viclyn
    (female)

Viclyn HB User

I don't mean to sound dumb or anything, but, regular ol magnesium that you can buy at Wal-Mart will work? I really hate to take anything liquid because of the taste. I've had RLS for a long long time. My Dr. did a sleep study and put me on Requip. It works ok, but I still have RLS, just not as much. I would rather take the mag than a prescription. Thanks for the info!!!

Old 01-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
    Michele12
    (female)

Michele12 HB User

Yes, regular ol' magnesium. I personally take it in pill form.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
    kiehn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kiehn HB User

Help it doesnt work for me, and it's very upseting because this has been going on for years. I also have problems during the day as well as keeping me up at night. I've even tried crushing my magneisum into a powder for
    better absorbsion and put it into refillable gelatin capsules. Then taken 400-500mg I dont understand why it works for everyone else but not for me.

I've even taken many of the drugs out for RLS but evenually the body gets used to them and they dont work anymore. Im sure open to any idea's

P.S. I've also tried the calcium route, asprin, vicodin, codiene route.
    Seems like there's been others as Im constantly looking on the net.
    Oh I remember one being iron theraphy.
    I have cut out caffiene, sugar, white flour, pop, all diet pop & foods
    and all dairy products. Please Help!

Last edited by kiehn; 01-17-2005 at 02:00 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
    Michele12
    (female)

Michele12 HB User

Well when I first started taking Magnesium, it was TWO 500 mg a day. ONe in the morning and one an hour before bed. After about six months, when I wasn't SO deficient anymore, then I went down to one a night. You are probably as deficient as I was.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
    happylegs
    (male)

happylegs HB User

I take the liquid mag plus calcium that is a "citrate" formula. It comes in great flavors like grape, lemon and others. Best if you just mix it with a little fruit juice, just makes the joice tasted sweeter. Not a bad taste at all. I use the "citrate" liquid becasue I find it give literally almost instatnt relief.
    For what it's worth.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #9
    rlslifer
    (female)

rlslifer HB User

Hi all,
    Kiehn, you know that all of us are different. Not every treatment is the same for everyone. There are people out here that take vitamins and supplements and still need medication.
    DId you have growing pains as a child? If you did, this might be an indication that treatment may be harder for you to figure out. If you bod already had it as a kid, then it tends to act a little harder on you as you age.
    There is no cure for RLS and tends to be a progressive disorder. The issue with iron is in question right now. Is it that we don't get enough Iron? Or are our bodies not able to use it properly. Of course that said, there are many things that can be known causes for RLS.
    If you haven't found the right path for treatment, don't give up hope yet. There are so many things doctors can try to do. My favorite non-medication trick is a hot tub. Won't travel without the use of one if I can. Hot baths are what I used when the meds don't ease things. But I am on medication. I use a small, repeat, small dose of a pain medication. It's made all the difference in me. Not everyone has pain. Not everyone can or will use pain meds........
    But you need to know that is ia ton of trial and error. Your best defense is simple education about this disorder. Then you have to (sometimes) fight for the right treatment. It's not easy to be our own Gatekeepers, but you have to.
    The Mayo Clinic has issued the RLS Algorithum and it's used as a guide to diagnosis and treatment. It's not the law to treatment. Meaning that it's different for everyone, just a direction. They offer a pdf file for print out. Hang in there.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
    jansangels

jansangels HB User
    Smile Re: Blessed relief!

Thanks for the info on the magnesium. I plan on trying that ASAP! I've also stumbled onto something that's working for me as a relief once the symptoms have started. I put a headache patch on the back of my leg. I use the menthol patches that Walmart sells. This is the generic for the Excedrin Migraine Ice patches. I cut each patch in half. This usually stops the RSL discomfort within five minutes. As anyone who's been dealing with this for very long knows, sometimes you get great results for about a month then NO relief from the same thing. I've been doing this for about two months now and it's still working. Magnets also worked for a while. Thanks again for the info and hope the patches will help any who can't get relief from using the magnesium.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
    rlslifer
    (female)

rlslifer HB User

Hi Jan,
    That is an awesome idea...........Wow, glad you told us. Before I sought treatment I would ace bandage those throw away heating pads to my legs. It helped but very costly. I am on a good treatment right now, but I still have problems flying and driving long distance and will consider these in the future. We travel often for business and family, so I'll get to try it out soon I'm sure. Great idea.
    Thanks.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #12
    jansangels

jansangels HB User

I understand about the ace bandages. When I was a child I would tie socks around my legs. Didn't help much. Hope the patches give you some relief. Jan

Old 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #13
    rlslifer
    (female)

rlslifer HB User

Sorry,
    I would one time use, heat pouch or heating pad on my thighs. Holding them in place with ace bandages. The pressure and the heat helped. In fact I was doing it alomst daily by the time I went to the doctor. Wore one to my first visit.
    Thankfully, I'm down to using this only during flying or long car trips.
    Will try the patch and pass on the thought to others.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
    Michele12
    (female)

Michele12 HB User
    Talking Re: Blessed relief!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happylegs
    I take the liquid mag plus calcium that is a "citrate" formula. It comes in great flavors like grape, lemon and others. Best if you just mix it with a little fruit juice, just makes the joice tasted sweeter. Not a bad taste at all. I use the "citrate" liquid becasue I find it give literally almost instatnt relief.
    For what it's worth.
    You don't need as much mag when you take it as a liquid, as it absorbs better in your gastrointestine.
    So glad you tried this, I can't stand thinking of people suffering from this horrible syndrome.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #15
    Viclyn
    (female)

Viclyn HB User

Thanks everyone for all the good ideas in coping with RLS. As we all know, it is a horrible feeling, but knowing you all are out there too and helping each other really is a godsend!
    Thanks again!!!

Closed Thread