It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board

• Restless Leg/Body Syndrome Last Night

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
    Jon_UK
    (male)

Jon_UK HB User
    Restless Leg/Body Syndrome Last Night

I have never suffered from RLS before last night. Throughout the day i was sitting still studying (inacitve) and I took 2 pro plus caffeine tablets at around 9:30pm as i was studying for an exam and i think the inactivity + caffeine caused me to experience this terrible disorder. I woke up due to "randomly moving", itching and agitated legs at 1am but after walking around it went. As i was drifting back off to sleep at about 1:15am i would get an itchy, tiggling sensation in my leg that made me want to either jerk it against the quilt cover or scratch away the friction-like itchy tiggling in my blood (in the blood vesell of the quad and calf) which woke me up completely. Every time i was about to nod off to sleep it would wake me up (about 10 times) and the "hard to explain" evil tingle feeling got so intense i would even go as far to say that its a type of random sub-cutaneous pain.

If i bent my legs in attempt to stop this weird itch and contract the muscle, the resltessness below the skin would radiate to my shoulder and torso causing me to rub them against the matress or scratch the area. (Resless Body Syndrome?) So, I took an anti-histamine, benadryl, thinking it would cure this stupid itch by blocking histamine. However, benadryl aggrivated it making RLS symptoms appear even up gentle relaxtion of the limb and not just in sleep.

I have come to the conclusion that caffeine induces RLS and the symptoms are further aggrivated by the anti-histamine, benadryl. I also think stress has lowered my "itch" threshold and when combined with caffiene tablets and benadryl triggered an episode of RLS that i hope will not happen again....ever.

At 4am, last night i registered on this forum due to the RLS insomnia, waited for the RLS to regress (by staying active) and took 2 co-codamol pain killers which after 15 mins felt like they had "tranqulised" my legs and stopped them wanting to move/be scratched.

Any advice welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Restless Leg/Body Syndrome Last Night

Yes yes yes, caffiene is a HUGE trigger for RLS type symptoms.espescially taken that close to your bedtime.ya live and learn i guess.sounds nasty though.i don't think you will be doing THAT again anytime soon?Marcia

Old 08-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
    Postatnote
    (female)

Postatnote HB User
    Re: Restless Leg/Body Syndrome Last Night

Sugar can set off RLS too! If I have ice cream and immediately go to bed....

Closed Thread